What to do

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello im new to all this hi fi malarky

so please be patient with me i dont know much you see, Im recentely divorced with alot of time on my hands after that time so, i want a new hi fi system i have around 1400 pounds of my hard earned cash and was wondering whether someone can givve me some ideas of what i want.

Lots of regards.

John.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sort of depends what you want the system to do: CD playback? Music streaming over a home network? Surround sound?

Any clues you can offer will help...

A

Anonymous

Also where is the music stored at the moment, how do you listen at the moment, and do you have any hifi kit at the moment including cables, furniture etc?

What size of room are you planning to listen to this music in presuming that you are not planning to listen through headphones.

A

Anonymous

I want just a stereo hi-fi with some large floorstanding speakers i heard celestion and leak sandwich were particularly good and pushin out a bit of sound, and i have a lot of 78's so i want my system to play them as i have had them for years in my attic gathering dust. they have a luvly sound.

Lots of regards john

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Leak speakers haven't been made for a very long time: you may be able to find a used pair, but they're a bit sought-after, so tend to command collector's prices. Celestion speakers are still around, and have the F Series, but it's been a while since we tested any of the company's speakers.

If you want to play 78s alongside ordinary records, you're going to need either an older turntable able to play 33.3/45/78rpm, and be prepared to switch phono cartridges when you want to play 78s, or a dedicated 78rpm turntable. Several turntable make these, but as they're understandably of only very limited interest, prices tend to be a bit high.

You'll also need a phono stage with switchable equalisation, as those applied to 78s were rather different to those later used for LPs, but as a 78 collector I guess you know that.

The easy bit is the amplifier, but how you split the budget, and thus how much you have to spend on the amp, will really be dependent on the considerations above.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:IMHO, hmmm...

You mentioned several more conventional entry-level turntables that were not as expensive as the Rega P78. (And presumably not as "hmmm" as the Audio Technica.)

Which ones did you have in mind?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think you'll find I said:

'If you want to play 78s alongside ordinary records, you're going to
need either an older turntable able to play 33.3/45/78rpm, and be
prepared to switch phono cartridges when you want to play 78s, or a
dedicated 78rpm turntable. Several turntable companies make these, but as they're
understandably of only very limited interest, prices tend to be a bit
high.'

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your advice its proper put things into perspective, what are mission mx1's like cos at richer sounds they said there proper good, but i think there lyin , because i said i had around 1400 to spend and that dont seem right, and cambridge audio is good is it?

lots of regards

John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Mission MX1s good, as are Tannoy Mercury V1s for very sensible money, though depending on how much you spend on the rest of the system I might be aiming a little higher - say, to Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s at around the £250 mark.

Yes, Cambridge Audio is very good when it comes to value for money separates, and I really don't think Richer Sounds were lying.

A

Anonymous

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE, BUT HOW ABOUT WHARFDALE BECAUSE MY BOY SWEARS BY EM. BUT MY FRIEND PETER SAID THAT THERE NOT THE CORKERS THEY USED TO BE, SO YOUR TELLING ME TO AIM A LITTLE HIGHER THEN I HAVE BEEN AIMING, SO THESE MONITOR AUDIO ARE THEY MONITORS FOR RECORDIN THINGS.

OR DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SAVE THE PENNIES AND BUY A DENON M37 AND SOME WHARFDALES AND GO ON A HOLIDAY INSTEAD?

WHAT KINDA HI FI HAVE YOU GOT ANDREW.

LOTS OF REGARDS

JOHN

PS SORRY ABOUT BIG LETTERS I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT KEYBOARDS DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CHANGE IT BACK. ?

KIND REGARDS

JOHN

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Easy one first: you press the caps lock key.

Yes, I think the Monitor Audio speakers are around the kind of level at which you should be aiming: Monitor Audio is the name of the company, and its website is here.

You could indeed go for a Denon DM-37 and some speakers such as the Missions, Tannoys or Monitor Audios, and spend the rest on a holiday. It really depends on your priorities, but neither the Denon nor the holiday will play your 78s without some added expenditure.

What do I have? At the moment Naim NDX/Supernait/HiCap, plus PMC OB1 speakers, but I fear that may be slightly beyond your budget.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ratatouille-ratatouille-8792110-120-96.jpg
I smell a rat.....!!! This can't be a genuine enquiry, surely ??!!

A

Anonymous

Thank You once again andrew for your advice, of course hes geniune he's the editor , and he's been helping me all day with all the advice i need to make my decision as i am new to all these chat places and computers and music systems for that matter.

lots of regard John

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
john_bumpkin:Thank You once again andrew for your advice, of course hes geniune he's the editor

Not, I fear, the editor – but you are very welcome...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts