what the best way to extened my sky+ box

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
just got a t.v mounted so need to move my sky+ box, is there any way to do this without getting a handyman to charge me arm and a leg amount for another 5min. Only need another 2-3m

thanks again

A

Anonymous

I'm assuming that your moving the box and theere for need to extend the Dish cables.

Head down to you local maplins or electrical store and buy yourself some twin coaxial cable. as sky + uses two feeds.

If they dont supply this you can get normal coax but just buy twice the length you need as you will be running two cables i would also buy an extra meter to allow for any mistakes when fitting/cutting etc.

when you buy the cable dont buy the cheapest stuff available as some cable has a glue type substance in it and needs trimming down in order to fit standard ends (basicly its a right PITA) .

Along with your cable your going to need four screw on F connectors like these (again it may be wise too buy a couple extra as theyre easy to loose)

Now this is important! if you get twin coax the cable may be thinner meaning you will need slightly smaller f connectors the best thing to do is just check this in the store before you leave.

Along with your f connectors you will need two barrels Like this (again maybe buy a spare just in case)

Lastly if the cable is being run outside or if there is any possibility atall if it getting damp/wet buy yourself some self amalgamating tape like this. its going to be more than you need but it will work out cheaper than having to replace all your cable and possibly a box if it get water in it!

Along with the above you will need some wire cutter or a good pair of scissors

Ok so now your ready to go firstly check your distances and cut your cable to length always leave your self at least an extra foot just incase...

once you have your cable cut to size you need to fit the f connectors.. after a quick search there is a guide with images here .
in essence what you need to do is trim about 3 cm or more of the very outer plastic sheath in the guide they have used a specific tool for this but i use a stanly knife or even a sharp kitchen knife. just be carefull not to cut too deep as inderneath this layer is the "outer core" made up of several very fine metal threads.

once you have removed the outer sheath you need to fold the metal threads back around the outside of the cable.

you should now have exposed the inner core and its plastic sheilding. Carefully trim away the sheilding leaving about 5mil intact
you should have something looking like this.

shielding-pulled-back.jpg

now you simply screw your f connector over the outer threads but not so far that the inner core is going to interfer when you connect the cable. it should look something like this:

note that the f connector above has been crimped yours should just screw on.

now you just need to trim the inner core leaving a couple of mil past the end of the f connector.

if you find yourself stuck you may find it easy to unsrew one of the connectors on your existing cable to get an idea of how it should look.

IMPORTANT! you must ensure that none of the outer core(metal treads) is in contact with the inner core as you will not get a signal through the cable.

Now repeat this proccess for the three other ends of your cable/s

that is the hard part done now it is just a case of connecting everything up two of the ends will be connected to your existing cable using the barrels that you purchase the other two ends will connect to the skybox.

Now go into the services menu on your sky box and do a signal test providing all is ok you should have signal on both lines.. if not check your connections and make sure that you have no shorts between the outer and inner cores.

providing all is ok the last step will be to seal your joins in the cable using the amalgi tape. when doing this you should remove the non sticky plastic side on the tape and STRETCH the tape as you wrap it around the barrel and f connectors it will contract apon itself creating a waterproof seal. make sure you cover the whole join from you origional cable to the new.

aaand your done.

all that is left to do now is secure you cable as you see fit and enjoy.

note: joining cables like this can cause degredation in the signal strength/quality but providing you have a half decent signal coming from the dish you wont find it a problem. if you have a low signal anyway it may be time to get you dish realighned or replace the LNB.

I hope that helps.

Marticus

A

Anonymous

sorry for my spelling i'm not particurly with it today but i hope you get the idea.

you may find that you also need to extend your arial cable if you use one.

This involves a slightly different proccess if you need any help just ask.

A

Anonymous

LOL i worked for sky for two years which is how i know this stuff but it always feels good to accomplish something yourself that you may otherwise have had to pay someone else to do and i find that even the most daunting jobs can be accomplished with carefull planing and research

A

Anonymous

i just serached ebay and you can buy pre-made extension cableing costing £1.20 per metre including delievery so just bought that thanks for the advice..... guess ill have to make a fire and poke a stick at it to feel manly ... now how you start a fire..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts