What Subwoofer fits an Yamaha / Monior BX Setup

walvis

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I used for a while now a well working setup consisting of a Yamaha AS-500 and two sets of Monitor BX2 speakers (usualy only one set is active). After moving into a new place, I noticed a drop in the quality and strenght of low frequencies - which seems to be due to the room/architecture as I have tried it out in other rooms (more carpets, furniture etc.) w/o noticing the same quality drop.

Since changing the room is currently not really an option, I was considering the Monitor BXW10 subwoofer from the same series. However, after doing some research on the web (believe including this forum), I noticed that reviews are rather mixed. Since I have never used a sub in a Hifi setp before, I therefore wonder if a) I can without worries mix and match active subs from different Monitor Audio lines or even different manufacturers and b) if there is a sub which can be recommended for use with the AS-500 and BX2s as I also remember that the AS-500 might be a bit tricky to match. Obviously, finding something which is not too far away from the BXW10's price category, would be preferable.

Any help appreciated.

Tim

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you want something to subtlety blend in and enhance the lower frequencies, try the SVS SB1000, and if you want something a little more excessive with some real depth, the PB1000. The SB1000 is a small sealed box with a 12" driver, and the PB1000 is a much bigger box with a 10" driver. Both use the same 300w amplifier, and are both priced at £499.

TRENDING THREADS