what sub to buy

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
im considering adding a sub to my 2ch stereo system . the question is how good a sub do i need to buy to improve the overall sound ,iv considered the leema splx10 but at near £900 id have thought you could probably get better for less money. i want a sub that equals the quality of my system .iv looked at the rel /T1/T2 R-205 R203 any ideas please

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
You want some low end grunt for a 2 channel set up.

I presume its lacking in your system, have you tried tweaking the set up before spending?

What size is your room and how loud do you want to play your music?

If you need to spend and its for a 2 channel set up you'll need one agile enough for music something like B&W ASW610XP for moderate volumes or the PV1 for high volumes, both good with music.

A

Anonymous

although the xones are nice and punchy i do feel they lack a bit of low end grunt. room is about 6m x 11m but the speakers point across the room not length. volume is low the moderate. id like to keep to the leema kit but £900 is alot just to keep everything in the same wood colour and style

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
As the Xones are rear ported, have you tried reinforcing them by moving them closer to the wall.

Apart from the lack of grunt how do they sound?

Is it mid orientated or a nice balance apart from the low end issue?

A

Anonymous

i have tried different speaker placement there about 20in from the wall with a slight toe in at the moment any closer and they loose there punch a little. as for sq when a well recorded tracks played on them they sound amazing. did sound a little mid heavy but swapped back cables from the nordost to the much cheaper wirewold and that seemed to sort it

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I think your 20 inch form the wall will be fine.

If a well recorded piece of music sounds amazing then any poorly recorded or compressed music could be the culprit. Reading some on-line info points to this.

If your dealer allows get an at home demo of a sub if your still unsure. Don't want you spending for no reason.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
pauladamss:i have tried different speaker placement there about 20in from the wall with a slight toe in at the moment any closer and they loose there punch a little. as for sq when a well recorded tracks played on them they sound amazing. did sound a little mid heavy but swapped back cables from the nordost to the much cheaper wirewold and that seemed to sort it

sorry to go off topic for a second, but in your sig you state you have a Leema Pulse II. I cant find any reference to the II, as i am interested in the Pulse's as an upgrade could you tell me more about your amp?
many thanks.

A

Anonymous

the pulse II has now been replaced by the mk III. are you after reviews?

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
pauladamss:the pulse II has now been replaced by the mk III. are you after reviews?

yes definitely, for both if you you can point me in the right direction please?

A

Anonymous

for the model i have just google leema pulse dont worry about the II ,there is a review on here. For the mkIII im not sure there is many if any at the moment but reports are the mkIII is better than the previous model but the old model can be purchased for £750 the mkIII is £1500

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
pauladamss:for the model i have just google leema pulse dont worry about the II ,there is a review on here. For the mkIII im not sure there is many if any at the moment but reports are the mkIII is better than the previous model but the old model can be purchased for £750 the mkIII is £1500

thanks a lot. although with the addition of the DAC on the III that could potentially save 200 - 400 quid depending on its quality. Will wait for a few reviews of the new model then go listening to that and a few others on the shortlist. Thanks for the reply's.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest you consider the paradigm Sub SE with your other choices. The Sub SE offers excellent room EQ as an option and this makes all the difference in room. Despite the small size it really can perform in good sized room.

A

Anonymous

cheers i will take a look its hard to know which sub will compliment my system

ean

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I know its not quite in the same price band....

But my wife & I just bought a B&W DB1. We love it! One of the best up grades I have ever done to my system.

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

a little out of my price range but i do want something that is of equal quality to my system or better its just knowing where that is on the price spectrum. a linn sizmik at 4 years old just went for £520 on an auction site if only i had the money but got to sell my arcam cd192 first.

A

Anonymous

has anyone heard or own the leema splx 10 sub is it any good?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts