What speakers

sam_291

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I'm getting a new hifi setup, and I've pretty much decided on the amp -Marantz pm6005 - but Can't quite decide on the speakers.
I'm looking at either MA bc2s or Dali zensor 3s, probably the bx2s, or I could get better pair second hand. Either way I dont want to spend much more than £200.
Just wwondering if any of you had suggestions for second hand speakers, or if you think I should just buy a new pair.
Thanks, Sam

sam_291

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm willing to spend the extra money they're that much better, but are they?
I'v heard bad thing about the build quality of the diamonds, is this true?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sam_291 said:
I'm willing to spend the extra money they're that much better, but are they? I'v heard bad thing about the build quality of the diamonds, is this true?

Yes there have been complaints about the finish on Whafedales lately. Not keen on MAs either.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
The latest Wharfedale Diamonds (220?) are much better fit and finish wise than the previous version. I will also listen to the Dali Zensor 1 or 3.

SteveR750

There are lots of good well cared for examples of B&Ws DM602S3 which was a lot of speaker new, used they are excellent. Easy to drive, and a luscious sound that would match your Marantz well if you like it punchy in a velvet glove.

rainsoothe

SteveR750 said:
There are lots of good well cared for examples of B&Ws DM602S3 which was a lot of speaker new, used they are excellent. Easy to drive, and a luscious sound that would match your Marantz well if you like it punchy in a velvet glove.

actually this is a pretty good suggestion - used to own these and they're pretty great. Now my brother is using them :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
One of the best small affordable stand mounts I've used is Usher's S520. It looks gorgeous too.

Perhaps also consider Polk's RTi A1. - Real wood, gloss finish, curved cabinets and it had a very good review by David Vivian of HifiChoice. It seemed to surpass MA's Bronze 2 in almost all respects.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I do not why you are being discouraged from MA Bronze range.

You should demo and decide for yourself - are MA speakers really that bad as you read here on this forum? Best selling EU speaker range? Ahhh... EU.

If I was you, I would Google MA speakers / Marantz amplification and read mostly positive threads from aroud the little blue globe.

This is why all user reviews disappeared from this forum with a new web page launch.

Amp you've chosen is very good. MA / KEF / Dali will sound nice with it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jerryapril@msn.com said:

You should demo and decide for yourself - are MA speakers really that bad as you read here on this forum? Best selling EU speaker range? Ahhh... EU.

If I was you, I would Google MA speakers / Marantz amplification and read mostly positive threads from aroud the little blue globe.

This is why all user reviews disappeared from this forum with a new web page launch.

There's nothing wrong with MA speakers. That doesn't mean there are no alternatives.

As to my previous comment; David Vivian's review of the Polk vs. MA bronze (and the Polk's 'superiority' in this instance), he uses the MA Bronze in one of his review systems and is a self confessed MA fan and user. There is also an interesting interview with a MA designer about the differences between the silver/bronze series.

I also, a long time ago, wrote about my impression of the BX5 being more musical and engaging than the R6 (in the context of a cyrus system). Horses for courses.

Bronze ... musical, bouncy but somewhat veiled. Easy to drive

Silver ... better dynamics, more detail but also a bit more hifi. Slightly more demanding on amplifiers

Usher ... Musical, bouncy, cohesive, great mid's/bass but slightly pronounced treble in some systems. Not the easiest amplifier load but not difficult either.

There is always a trade-off when it comes to speaker compatibility.

So, if it was me and had I a Marantz system with their typical musical and wide sound but softer treble than some I'd go for something that slightly balances those traits but that's just me.

SteveR750

jerryapril@msn.com said:

I think the intention is not to dissuade the OP from any particular product, morte to offer more choices, based upon our own experiences - I preferred the B&W sound over the equivalent MA speakers whan I bought mine, the OP might not, but an informed choice is the goal. Speakers vary so much, especially in your listening room that an audition of several is mandatory, if you want the best sound for your £.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts