What speakers for my amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Newbie to this forum (be gentle!) but have read what hifi for many years. I have a old technics su-a900mk2 which I am looking to buy speakers for. My options are Q acoustics 1050 or the mission v63. Just wondered if anyone knew which of these speakers would run better with this amp and also if anyone remembers if this amp was ever reviewed in what hifi? I listen to mainly RnB so would want something with a good low end.

Any help is appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Only you can decide what speakers suit you best in terms of how you like your music to sound. Each individual has his/her own preference, so my advise would be for you to try as many different speakers in your price range in the comforts of your own home and then decide which suits you best. No pressure - you decide.

E-Bay is a fantastic place to go to for this purpose. That's what I did. Rather than be pressured to buy what a salesperson wants to sell you, you can get very good used items at a fraction of their original cost and after you're done with them, put them up on E-Bay again and sell them!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Erm, hang on - you seem to be advising the OP that only he can decide what he wants and he needs to audition speakers, and then you point him to Ebay. How does that work? Does Ebay offer some fantastic new feature I'm not aware of whereby you can audition what you're buying before you click the Bid button?!
Anyway, in my opinion, first bit of advice was spot on - do some research, read some reviews and come up with a shortlist. Post that shortlist on this site and see what other members think (which I can see you've already done) and then try and audition as many as you can. But (and this is a major but in my opinion), if you go somewhere, audition speakers and decide you want to buy them, buy them there (unless there is an overridding reason not to such as poor service etc). Just don't go off and buy them online cos you can get them a few quid cheaper. It's disrespectful to the shop who provided you the facilities to test out ultimately the product you wanted and it also means that shop is less likely to be there the next time you need to audition a piece of equipment. By all means haggle and get the best deal you can of course, and to do this, know your market prices around the internet first. A proper hi-fi dealership will expect nothing less and even if they can't match the price, I guarantee you'll be much happier in the long run with a trusted dealer than you will be saving £50 from buying from a faceless internet company.
Ebay is great if you know what you want. But if you don't, you can make some very expensive mistakes on there (as has been seen a few times on this forum).

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
How's this for an idea..Why don't shops offer a demo service and charge an hourly rate which they then knock off of the price if you buy speakers from them? Also, as is suggested on this site, you might find the speakers sound great in the showroom but naff in your home listening environment. Again, the shop could charge a fee for borrowing the speakers which would be totally refundable if you end up buying the speakers from them.

In this way the shop isn't loosing out so much to the web and the punter doesn't feel guilty for taking advantage of the shop and getting cheaper online.

Cheers

matthewpiano

professorhat:Anyway, in my opinion, first bit of advice was spot on - do some research, read some reviews and come up with a shortlist. Post that shortlist on this site and see what other members think (which I can see you've already done) and then try and audition as many as you can. But (and this is a major but in my opinion), if you go somewhere, audition speakers and decide you want to buy them, buy them there (unless there is an overridding reason not to such as poor service etc). Just don't go off and buy them online cos you can get them a few quid cheaper. It's disrespectful to the shop who provided you the facilities to test out ultimately the product you wanted and it also means that shop is less likely to be there the next time you need to audition a piece of equipment. By all means haggle and get the best deal you can of course, and to do this, know your market prices around the internet first. A proper hi-fi dealership will expect nothing less and even if they can't match the price, I guarantee you'll be much happier in the long run with a trusted dealer than you will be saving £50 from buying from a faceless internet company.
Ebay is great if you know what you want. But if you don't, you can make some very expensive mistakes on there (as has been seen a few times on this forum).

Couldn't agree more with this post.
On the ebay side, I've made some mistakes that have ended up costing me in the past. I've been much happier and more settled since I worked with a proper bricks and mortar dealer to put the right system together.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Erm, hang on - you seem to be advising the OP that only he can decide what he wants and he needs to audition speakers, and then you point him to Ebay. How does that work? Does Ebay offer some fantastic new feature I'm not aware of whereby you can audition what you're buying before you click the Bid button?!
I agree with you, but I think I understand what EvilWolf was saying too. If you shop on eBay, you can get the speakers a lot cheaper. People always have a model or two in mind when they start looking, just like the OP. So you buy one of them, get them home and audition them in your own living room (where you ought to audition speakers). Give them a week's listening before deciding (again, you ought to do this). If you don't like them, you put them on eBay yourself. The best bit here is, if you're better at writing auction listings than the guy you bought them from, you might even make a profit!

Rinse, wring out and repeat until you find a pair of speakers you're happy with.

As for dealerships, I agree they need supporting too. In some ways, it's annoying that Richer Sounds have lost most of their demo rooms. However, they make up for this with their returns policy. If you buy an item from them, you have about a week to return it for any reason at all. This is ideal for home auditioning too, and you're supporting the dealer. Also, Richer Sounds promise to match web prices under certain conditions (but then they're a fairly big company compared to local dealers).

Getting a little more on-topic - I'm afraid that I don't know anything about those speakers, but hopefully someone on here can offer some advice to get you started.

A

Anonymous

Well guys thanks for the advice. I have also made the same mistake on ebay before and agree its only worth buying from ebay if you know what your after. My budget is about £200 - £300 I realise this kind of money wont buy me anything amazing. The 2 choices I had picked out (Q Acoustics 1050 or Mission v63) can both be bought for £200 but for that price the missions will be ex-demo. I have previously owned Mission m74i which I was not too impressed with but I was told by a dealer that there is a big difference between these and the V63. Im after a speaker with a good low end and not a overly bright sound (just a weird preference!) my amp runs at 90wpc at 8ohms so im guessing should be sufficient to run both these choices. Has anyone had any experience of these speakers? and does anyone remember if this amp (technics su-a900mk2) had any decent reviews?

Thanks again for your help.

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify, I've bought all of my hi-fi stuff - source components and speakers from E-Bay at marvellous prices, used them for a bit and then sold them ALL for a profit, prior to getting my current system new (my support for dealers) as I had then decided what exactly I wanted. Alternatively, if you decide to stick with a used system, you've still got them at great prices.

I mean - to go to a dealer, your choices are limited, you listen in their demonstartion rooms for a very short spell and they tend to push products they want to sell, not what you want to hear. E-Bay has provided me an opportunity to try out so many hi-fi components and that has been an enjoyable experience, that's all. To be honest, I miss it now as I've got my system.

In my opinion, this makes very good sense.

Hope this clarifies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts