What Should My Onkyo 605 Disply??????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a novive to home cinema setups.

I still am not sure what should my reciver disply for best settings.

I have a PS3 Fat Plugged In Via HDMI and when i leave it to automatically setup it says MultiCh is this correct or should i change it to All Ch St with this litening mode button please can someone explain

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, leave it as it is, All Channel Stereo is not the same as multi-channel input, what it's telling you is that the PS3 is decoding the soundtrack, rather than the amp itself. I don't know your amp I'm afraid so I can't tell you whether it's possible for the amp to do it instead. As things are you should get surround sound.

A

Anonymous

mike0619:
I am a novive to home cinema setups.

I still am not sure what should my reciver disply for best settings.

I have a PS3 Fat Plugged In Via HDMI and when i leave it to automatically setup it says MultiCh is this correct or should i change it to All Ch St with this litening mode button please can someone explain

regards

Hi, the reason why you see 'MultiCh' is because your PS3 is decoding the HD audio internally. If the amp was doing it instead, you will see 'Tru-HD' or 'DTS HD-MSTR' being displayed.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
mike0619:So MultiCh is better then

Yes because you're getting 5 (or possible 6 or 7) discrete channels of sound, whereas All Channel Stereo is exactly what it says, it's just stereo (ie only 2 channels) being fudged to come out of all the speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I've seen you've posted a question on this subject a couple of times now, so let me quickly explain what's happening with your older "fat" PS3 and the HD soundtracks on Blu-Rays. Basically, with the HD soundtracks (e.g. Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio), these are encoded and they require decoding to PCM in order for the amplifier to do anything with them. With most modern amplifiers and modern Blu-Ray players, there's basically two places this decoding can be done, either within the amp or within the Blu-Ray player. In this case, both your amp and your PS3 are capable of decoding the HD soundtracks to PCM. However, the older "fat" PS3 lacks the ability to send the HD soundtracks in their native form to the Onkyo amp (this process is known as bitstreaming). Because it can't do this, your best option is to choose Linear PCM in the PS3's settings. This means these HD soundtracks are thus decoded onboard the PS3 to PCM and are then sent to the Onkyo amp.

In response, the Onkyo amp is detecting the fact that it's receiving a PCM signal from the PS3 and it's also detecting there is more than one channel. For this reason, it's showing MultiCh (or Multichannel PCM). This means the PS3 is therefore successfully decoding the soundtracks onboard and thus means you're getting the best possible audio format you can.

There is another way you can confirm this for sure, and that's to press the Select button on your PS3 controller (or bluetooth remote) when a film is playing. In the top right hand corner of the screen, it should display what soundtrack the PS3 is currently decoding. So if you're playing a film with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, pressing Select should display this in the top right hand corner of the TV.

I hope this helps, let me know if there's anything unclear!

A

Anonymous

Cheers to take the time this has cleared it up for me.

Should i upgrade to slim ps3 do you think??

A

Anonymous

So is it ne better. Is it worth upgrading to a bluray player 200-300ish budget

A

Anonymous

You can expect a marginal improvement in picture quality (motion handling etc) and a better improvement in sound quality.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a sony bdps760 blu-ray player and it is a great up-grade to the ps3,I have the old "phat" ps3 upgraded to a 320 gig hard drive,and the ps3 is still a great blu-ray player,and still the fastest loading of blu-ray discs.but i brought a stand alone blu-ray player to save the lazer on my ps3(as they dont last forever).the bdps360 is a what hi-fi award winner and still a good replacement for use along-side your ps3.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts