What should I ask Santa for?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Tricky one this...

Got the components I want at the moment.

Got a rack that fits the components.

Got mains cables and a Tacima.

Got good interconnects between CD/amp and amp/amp which is all that matters. Even dvd/amp and tuner/amp are pretty good.

Got 2 sets of good speakers hooked up.

Don't want clothes, or perfume or socks or in fact anything not hifi related.

Hmmm.

A turntable I would love but only something that is as good as the partnering kit, so don't have the budget for that really...

Actually there's a thought. I only have one set of speakers on good cable, but I need 6m x 4 lengths to biamp my ProAcs in the kitchen which are currently used with 6mm copper strand unbranded which is average compared to the QED SA XT I have and love on my Dalis.

Or what about a decent mains conditioner off the Bay?

Thoughts appreciated on what I should ask the missus for without sounding too nerdy

A

Anonymous

I am in much the same pickle. I asked for the anniversary edition of kind of blue. (It's actually blue!)

But, seeing as you don't have the tt you're not able to ask for nifty coloured and/or picture discs. Maybe you could ask for a gift certificate to a nice hifi shop???

JoelSim:I suppose I could ask her for a wall mounted tt shelf...
emotion-5.gif

What about albums to test your equipment with - there must be at least one or two you're hankering after?

A

Anonymous

Messiah:Headphones??

Yes: I tested some Sen HD600s yesterday on the Arcam A38 with an Arcam CD37 and the result was better than my Grados! Whoops - onto ebay they go!

You should demo a pair - they are scarily good! Available for way under £200 now also!

Forget the turntable idea, they are more trouble than they're worth - and besides, how many records do you have?

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:
Yes: I tested some Sen HD600s yesterday on the Arcam A38 with an Arcam CD37 and the result was better than my Grados! Whoops - onto ebay they go!

The GS1000? A travesty!?!?ÿ

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Hughes123:

The GS1000? A travesty!?!?ÿ

Yeah, funny huh! I think it might be due to the really nice new Arcam CD player, but there was a significant difference - they are more forward too, and better suited to the sort of music I like.

T

the record spot

Hughes123:

Forget the turntable idea, they are more trouble than they're worth - and besides, how many records do you have?

Well, two things here obviously; a pretty subjective statement, and an incorrect one broadly speaking. Why forget a t/t? More trouble than they're worth? Project - out the box, set up and it's running in practically no time. Rega the same. Move up to a more sophisticated design and yes, they take a little longer, but the results are more often than not well worth it.

Plus, you only get out of something what you put into it; and besides, think of how many quality LPs the OP could buy...

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Hughes123:

Well, two things here obviously; a pretty subjective statement, and an incorrect one broadly speaking. Why forget a t/t? More trouble than they're worth? Project - out the box, set up and it's running in practically no time. Rega the same. Move up to a more sophisticated design and yes, they take a little longer, but the results are more often than not well worth it.

Plus, you only get out of something what you put into it; and besides, think of how many quality LPs the OP could buy...

My Project Debut III sounds very poor to say the least and I set it up exactly how it says in the manual (which is poor in every regard.) It has lots of motor hum, runs too fast, vibrates far too much, distorts at the end of each side, has rubbish treble and is built poorly. Put me off turntables for ever.

matthewpiano

Vinyl is fantastic with the right deck and plenty of patience. With a system the quality of JoelSim's though I wouldn't be going near a budget Pro-ject deck. 2nd hand is where its at at this end of the market. A classic Thorens TD150 or TD160, or a Rega Planar 2 or 3 would be a great way of getting into the black stuff. Add a decent cartridge and a bag full of second hand vinyl and you've got something special.

Anyway Hughes, what happened to that JVC quartz locked direct drive thing you were going on about not very long ago?? You weren't against vinyl then!!!!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Vinyl is fantastic with the right deck and plenty of patience. With a system the quality of JoelSim's though I wouldn't be going near a budget Pro-ject deck. 2nd hand is where its at at this end of the market. A classic Thorens TD150 or TD160, or a Rega Planar 2 or 3 would be a great way of getting into the black stuff. Add a decent cartridge and a bag full of second hand vinyl and you've got something special.

Anyway Hughes, what happened to that JVC quartz locked direct drive thing you were going on about not very long ago?? You weren't against vinyl then!!!!

Well my uncle said he would give it to me - but he's still go it at the moment! I'll bide my time...just for me, CD sounds better if correctly mastered...

T

the record spot

Lots of big ifs round CD mastering for me - the trouble is it's not so big a deal for many record labels who're happy to wreck many a release. And of course, where LPs are correctly mastered and put on a decent deck (think P3 upwards) then it'll trump digital handsomely. CD has it's place alright, and I use it as my only source currently since the t/t went out the reach of babies' fingers (!), but it's as big, if not more of a faff.

To explain - partner the right source, with the right amp and the right interconnect. I think, as many have found, that's not easy. A boat I'm in right now with the 7001-KI. It's a fine player, but it's not right for me. Superb midrange, but overall, not one for this household. I just need to break this gently to Mrs. R_S who I know won't be smiling... *gulp*
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Entry tables from project, rega, music hall are all fairly poor. Almost all of the flaws you've got on your debut are due to poor bearings. But bearings are a commodity and they just don't come cheap enough to be on 120 pound tables.

Jump up one rung though and it's a whole 'nother pile of peanuts. In pro-ject's case the rpm5 and xpression are excellent, kick the bums of any cdp's I've used. (BTW I've got a CD36 for the weekend Hughes, no contest my records are better:)

T

the record spot

Benefit of the Rega, although not sure about the Project arms, is the RB250 - a tweaker's delight. If you get bitten by the bug, take the arm off, have it modded and you have a bargain but high quality arm. After that, it'll fit onto the armboard as well as grace many a higher quality deck. For sure, though, I'd be looking at the second rung up on the ladder where the budget allows.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. The headphones are a no-go as I enjoy my speakers too much, I just can't see when I'd use them.

TT I would like but as rightly pointed out it would need to be a £1,000 RRP TT to fit in with my system so that's not really an option at the moment.

Any other thoughts?ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts