What Pre-amps have you tried/heard with Cyrus power amps???

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I've heard various people say that Cyrus (and other high end brands) pre amps aren't as good as their power amps and to try others, but never had anyone ACTUALLY say what they've tried/heard.. I'd like too keep my amp and source sections seperate so not particularily bothered about a pre/DAC and seems most concentrate massivly on the DAC and then be like oh yeah and it's a pre-amp.. So was thinking I could invest a lot more in a really good pre-amp then get x200/x300' in the future..

I saw a Audio research LS17 go fairy cheap on ebay and wondered how a tube/SS hybrid pre amp would sound.. I know some people say to keep the same brand pre/powers but just thought i'd see if anyone was willing to share their experiences..

Cheers guys!x

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I did it the other way round and ran a Cyrus PreXP/PSX-R with my current Naim power amp for a while. It sounded fine but not as good as the same make setup I now have.

Why not try a DAC XP? The pre amp section is meant to be a leap above the Pre XP, albeit the DAC section probably not bettering what you have in the Naim streamer. I have to say, that recent experience with Cyrus and Naim tells me that Naim is better when matched with Naim.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
jockey.wilson said:
I did it the other way round and ran a Cyrus PreXP/PSX-R with my current Naim power amp for a while. It sounded fine but not as good as the same make setup I now have.

Why not try a DAC XP? The pre amp section is meant to be a leap above the Pre XP, albeit the DAC section probably not bettering what you have in the Naim streamer. I have to say, that recent experience with Cyrus and Naim tells me that Naim is better when matched with Naim.

Oh ok.. Interesting.. From what i've heard Naim don't like having their amp sections interchanged etc so that doesn't surprise me.. I think the DAC in my streamer/ the streamer in general is a real steal for the money and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.. I've heard the DAC XP is better pre but some say it lacks bass and punch which is part of the reason I got the Naim streamer to give it a bit more punch.. This is why i thought i could try maybe a different pre-amp that doesn't have a DAC and get more Pre-amp for your money.. Personally I couldn't get along with the Naim amp sound. I may demo some other brands like Musical Fidelity maybe the M6i amp sounds more suited to my taste in music.. I was tempted to try the M6PRE but heard the pre/power is hardly any better and twice the price of the integrated.. I'll get my listening room set up in a few months and do some dems, just thought i'd see if anyone had tried and found a great match..

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I used a Quad 44 Pre with 2 x Cyrus Smart Power's in mono mode.

Sounded good.

I have since changed the power amps to a Quad 303 that I prefer overall.

The Cyrus power's did work well with the Quad 44 Pre, better that the Cyrus aCA7.5 that I was using, a more balanced sound with more low end and less harsh highs.

The Quad 44 is an old amp though so maybe not what you’re looking for.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I used a Rotel RC-1090 with X Power (replaced a Cyrus PreXPdQX), really good combo, plenty of drive and authority. This was recommended on this very forum by Rick from Musicraf (so yes, people do discuss what other pres they use with Cyrus, they discuss it quite often on cyrusunofficial too of course if you haven't visited). I replaced the X Power last year and have just sold the Rotel on ebay (no loss). I now have Bel Canto pre and Belles power, something of a step up...

The Rotel RC-1090 is rare - mine went instantly in buy it now, a Rotel owner who wanted to upgrade his RC-995. Worth looking out for though. No onboard dac, but what you save on the pre compared to Cyrus you can put towards all manner of sub-£500 dacs.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Cheers for the replys guys.. I have a decent DAC in my streamer with some digital inputs this is why i'm not fussed about a DAC in the Pre.. Yeah i would be looking at something more modern ideally.. Was thinkin maybe the Musical Fidelity M6 Pre or Audio research LS17 or something.. I may even just home dem or go and listen to some Musical Fidelity stuff as there's a lot of hype about them on here.. Would like to hear cNo's love child the AMS35i.. I'll check out cyrus unofficial too.. Cheers guys

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The Bel Canto pre amp looks smart.. How would you describe the sound? Wonder how that would sound through and x power :?

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
The Bel Canto is lovely - it's the older PRe3, not the newer one that takes the BC power supply (I got it at a great knocked-down price from Midland Audio Exchange). X Power is a great stereo power amp, no doubt the Bel Canto would get more out of it than Cyrus Pre, if you can find one secondhand.

Hard to describe a preamp by itself, but I'd go for fluid, effortless, with stable stereo image. To be honest the Rotel RC-1090 I had really was no slouch, things could get a bit ragged at volume I suppose.

An option I was looking at was Icon Audio's preamp - would like to hear that with an X Power (would like to hear it in a system full stop!).

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks very nice and got good reviews and seems very neutral so imagine it will sound very nice.. It's around £1800 for the new one with power supply which isn't too bad.. Only place i've seen so far that stocks them is in London but may put it on my demo list when I get my listening room set up properly :D Will look into Icon Audio

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Coherent Systems (in Buckinghamshire) is a dealer for Bel Canto - Tony knows his stuff (but can be very persuasive).

Be warned - a preamp upgrade of this scale (Bel Canto PRe3 is world class) will soon lead you to looking for a superior power amp. That's just the way it is, no point denying it...

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah thats more like it, an hour away.. May be worth an audition.. If they surpass the x powers then surely it will just be future proof? I think first I need to find out what works for me with my music ie. SS, valve, Class A, Hybrid etc.. I think the X300's are amazing power amps and will have those on the list as well as many others in years to come if i think SS is the way to go.. For now i'm happy with my setup (possibly get the bel canto pre and another x power at some point) But won't be doing a big jump untill i have a room big enough for some serious floorstanders and big monoblocs.. Until then I just want a good sound from my bookshelves or some similar (may try kef r300's).. The Icon preamps look very interesting with no cicuit boards and all hardwired.. With ridiculously low distortion, lower than i've ever seen?!

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I would try the m6i loads of power with control your avatar would suggest you are into your rock and metle and if so you will love the m6i :cheers:

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Toyota man I was actually reading one of your previous posts yesterday, Or el hefe's where you commented.. Yes I mainly listen to Punk rock/hardcore which is fast paced and some beat heavy stuff, as well as bassy stuff and acoustic and other more chilled stuff.. I mainly want the sound to have a fuller bass/midrange and drums sound more alive and rock along too where i think the cyrus may be more about agility than dynamics.. Have you heard the M6 pre/power? As I could get a M6 pre and later change power amp.. A friend of a friend has a serious MF set up so REALLY want to hear that.. :rockout:

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
BigColz said:
Yeah thats more like it, an hour away.. May be worth an audition.. If they surpass the x powers then surely it will just be future proof? I think first I need to find out what works for me with my music ie. SS, valve, Class A, Hybrid etc.. I think the X300's are amazing power amps and will have those on the list as well as many others in years to come if i think SS is the way to go.. For now i'm happy with my setup (possibly get the bel canto pre and another x power at some point) But won't be doing a big jump untill i have a room big enough for some serious floorstanders and big monoblocs.. Until then I just want a good sound from my bookshelves or some similar (may try kef r300's).. The Icon preamps look very interesting with no cicuit boards and all hardwired.. With ridiculously low distortion, lower than i've ever seen?!

Yes, precisely because they are in a different league, you will start thinking about better power amps more quickly than you may want...it's your X Power that won't be futureproof.

If you visit Coherent, you will be immediately steered away from Cyrus, he is not a fan of the sound. Offers good trade-in rates though.

If you are happy with your setup for now, I'm not sure why we're discussing auditioning preamps...leads to buying...

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I've only heard my set up in a half decent room when I've taken it in to audition and I much preferred the set up to any of the other things I listened too and did like it.. The whole reason I started this thread was because I'd be prepared to spend a little bit more for a much better pre amp as I don't need a pre/DAC because I use my source as DAC.. I just wanted to hear what people had tried and may give me ideas to demo.. This hobby is going to kill me financially I know that much hahahahaha

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigColz said:

Bel Canto is often the default choice of ex Cyrus owners, who like a lot of what Cyrus does but want something a little less forward and analytical. It's the only Class D that I've heard and quite liked.

I feel you are very wise to go on a hifi pilgrimage and hear what's available....you might just be surprised!

Cno

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Cheers cNo.. I've just hijacked your thread actually :shifty: I got my Cyrus stuff at trade as i know a guy that works there so wouldn't be too fussed if i did a total change as i'd still make good money.. VERY interested in this Musical Fidelity business as i think i need an amp that is more lively/bassy/ full of energy and more forgiving on bad recordings so could be the way for me.. A friend of a friend has a serious class A set up (similar to yours) so i'd love to hear that.. I may even end up with a Linn streamer ;)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i'm not sure it's pretty interesting.. The guy in the shop recons they're about on par and some people have said the Naim in my strreamer is better than a DAC XP.. So god knows.. I like the Source in one box idea and can add TV, Xbox and transport if i want.. It sounds fantastic and very analogue which surprised me.. Not keen on Naim amp sound at all but this streamer really is lovely.. Prob only 10% off the NDX and 55% more.. So for now it's perfect :D Although i may demo a Linn as i've heard good things about them

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigColz said:
Cheers cNo.. I've just hijacked your thread actually :shifty: I got my Cyrus stuff at trade as i know a guy that works there so wouldn't be too fussed if i did a total change as i'd still make good money.. VERY interested in this Musical Fidelity business as i think i need an amp that is more lively/bassy/ full of energy and more forgiving on bad recordings so could be the way for me.. A friend of a friend has a serious class A set up (similar to yours) so i'd love to hear that.. I may even end up with a Linn streamer ;)

You certainly haven't hijacked my thread, as this is exactly why I started it.

With your description of the sound you are looking for, you have precisely described the 35i.....hearing your friends system could be very hazardous to your wallet. BTW What is his system?

The Linn DS is always worthy of consideration.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
It's on my signature underneath my post.. I bought the naim streamer as it boosted my Cyrus and was very impressed with how good it sounds (like with you and linn, i disn't like the naim amp sound but was VERY impressed with the streamer, very analogue sounding) but may prefer the sound of MF amp sound all together.. I'm not attached and open minded to other brands.. If I change my amp ill technically make money so ill try the m6i.. Turns out I'm going to the 2013 Singapore night GP and 3 weeks in South East Asia :) so won't be able to afford the likes of speakers like yours (to keep up with the AMS)for a long time so may be sensible fir once :roll: but we'll see.. No doubt ill be blown away by class A

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigColz said:
It's on my signature underneath my post..

Sorry I didn't make myself clear; I was asking about your friend's system, as it sounded interesting.

oh ok.. I assumed it was class as he warms it up apparently.. (I haven't heard it.. Bear in mind my friend is relaying via text and clueless).... He put this.... I'm at my sisters listening to her boyfriends rig. Focal beryllium electra be speakers with musical fidelity kw 550 amp, plus metrum acoustics dac... It's late cant be arsed to look it up but heard those speakers are pretty cool and used some metal or technology that was pretty unique at the time.. I'm sure you can elaborate ;)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
CnoEvil said:
BigColz said:
It's on my signature underneath my post..

Sorry I didn't make myself clear; I was asking about your friend's system, as it sounded interesting.

oh ok.. I assumed it was class as he warms it up apparently.. (I haven't heard it.. Bear in mind my friend is relaying via text and clueless).... He put this.... I'm at my sisters listening to her boyfriends rig. Focal beryllium electra be speakers with musical fidelity kw 550 amp, plus metrum acoustics dac... It's late cant be arsed to look it up but heard those speakers are pretty cool and used some metal or technology that was pretty unique at the time.. I'm sure you can elaborate ;)

Just had a look online, it's a 550w dual monoblock with tube line level pre-amp.. Not sure of the price new.. Funnily enough the tubes it uses in the pre amp are made by Ampeg which is the company that make my bass guitar amp.. So unless i get lucky seems demoing a Class MF may be more difficult than i thought.. Any news if they're making more AMS35i's?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigColz said:

Very nice, well thought out system. The big MF would work really well with the Focal and I've heard good things about the Metrum Dac, which is a NOS type....the whole effect would be very musical.

Edit. As for the 35i, I have no idea when they are making more.....may depend on how many people on here I can talk into getting one!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts