What power amp with Cyrus PreXpd Qx?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

First post here. I have recently purchased a Cyrus Pre amp and am looking for a good power amp combo. Obviously I first thought to buy a cyrus power amp, but decided to keep an open mind. So does anyone have any experience with other manufacturer's power amps combining with a cyrus pre-amp?

I have heard the cyrus sound at a friend of mine and love the analytical sound, but am a bit anxious about the lack of bass, especially considering I am going to power a pair of Dali Skyline 1000's, not known for their bass subtlety if mismatched.

Every bit of help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Donny

A

Anonymous

Hi Donny

I've just googled your speakers - wow they look good! Not sure I'd get them past them misses though...

I know its not answering your question, but in my experience its only the Cyrus equipment lower down the range that is a bass light. You could try an X Power or even a pair of mono X's depending on budget. If your happy with 2nd hand an X Power can be picked up for £500 (try here: http://www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk/ )

I have a Cyrus system and upgraded my CD8x CD player earlier this year with a DAC XP+, realised that it was the CD player making the system sound bass light and not the amps.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I would second that. My Spendors have developed significantly more/better bass since upgrading from the 8xpd to the Dac XP/X power system I use now. I think the entry level stuff comes accross as bass light, but once you get to the x power etc its not an issue IMO.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 on the X Power (which is not bass light - don't know where that rumour came from as all the recent Cyrus amps I have had have certainly not been bass light).

Of course the DACXP is better and so are the Mono X's. I use a PreXPdQX as it has a usb input and the DAC XP does not.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the reassurance.

With regards to the speakers, I am not sure they look good
smiley-laughing.gif
, but they certainly stand out. I have definitely considered the X power, but the thing is due to the speakers specs I would need to have a mono set-up (2 Xpowers) and that's not feasible for me for budgetary reasons.

The speakers require 150W 4 Ohms and I've run them on less, but then I am confronted with a major lack in bass definition and control.

Thanks,

Donny

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
So what is your budget?

i would still consider an x power and a second when you have saved the money. Running in mono they should give what you need.

Alternatively you can pick up the old mono x's for around £900 second hand.

A

Anonymous

Well 500 pounds is what I had in mind for now.

I reside in the Netherlands and prices are generally higher for high-end HiFi, in particular the British made components. I do shop around abroad though.

I have noticed fluctuations in both price and availability of second life products and at the moment (even over here in Holland) I find that Musical Fidelity is readily available and reasonally priced. Is it a ludicrous suggestion to combine Cyrus with MF?I have no experience with the MF products.

Regards,

Donny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts