what part of the system give you the quality of sound?

A

Anonymous

Probably the cables, most important is interconnects then speaker cables

A

Anonymous

Speakers first, then amp, source, cables last. Good quality cable is needed to get the best out of your system, but can be had cheaply.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matt444_2000"]
i would definatly put cables at the top of the list
[/quote]What kind/brand? In what kind of system? I'm curious how you came to that conclusion.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="matt444_2000"]
i supose the speakers are fairly important

[/quote]
Cables come bottom. So long as they are reasonable quality any further money spent defines 'law of diminishing returns'!

Biggest changes come with speaker changes.
Next amplification, and lastly source (digital).
This is assuming a decent basic starting point.

Although even if I think speakers are the biggest difference...I also believe you can get away with VERY cheap speakers, in a good system.

My system (assuming I buy the DAC I am testing will be)...
Squeezebox Duet. (actual player costs £100).
DAC £500.
Sony STSB920 FM tuner £??
Arcam Alpha 7SE (now only for backup use) £??

Amp £1300.
Speakers £900.

speaker cable Van Damme 4mm £3/m.
digi coax Van Damme £10.
balanced XLR Van Damme from DAC to Amp £15.
2nd DAC £110.
digi coax Beresford £15.
2 x quality toslink at £10 each.
stereo RCA Gotham £10 (very very good).
Cambridge Audio Silver spirit 60 ??.

A

Anonymous

The sum total of the system. Nothing "gives" good quality. Pieces take it away, poor deck, poor amp, poor cables, poor speakers. Any of those will detriment quality.

To be concise; the CD, Record, tape or file gives the quality. It gives however much quality is present on the recording, then the rest of the system (no matter how good it is) whittles away at it.

A

Anonymous

i believe the source because if thats rubbish the amp cannot make it sound better nor the speakers, thats why my next purchase will be a cdp, after that amplification if your amp is not powerful or authorative to control your speakers then the sound will be dull and boring. that said id still spend more on speakers than amp or cdp but as long as you have decent amp and cdp first

A

Anonymous

[quote user="raypalmer"]The sum total of the system. Nothing "gives" good quality. Pieces take it away, poor deck, poor amp, poor cables, poor speakers. Any of those will detriment quality.

To be concise; the CD, Record, tape or file gives the quality. It gives however much quality is present on the recording, then the rest of the system (no matter how good it is) whittles away at it.[/quote]
spot on, hadn't read that far before previous post, but what i wanted to say, and worded alot better!!!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]They all do, it's just that 'good' speakers cost more than a 'good' amp, which costs more than a 'good' CD player........[/quote]

Interesting answer. Never thought of it that way...but it's absolutely true. And of course at the bottom of the pile, "good cables" can be had for pocket money ;)

John Duncan

Like my three pairs of gothams at £9.95 a pop?
emotion-2.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="chebby"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]Like my three pairs of gothams at £9.95 a pop?
emotion-2.gif
[/quote]

How come mine cost £13.50 ?

Must be 'cos it's red.[/quote]
And my Van Damme / Neutrik XLR set was £16!!!!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Just get subscription gifts, so far I have:

Furukawa interconnect HFC circa 1991
Russ Andrews mains cable HFC 2007
Chord HDMI WHFSAV 2007
CrystalCable Piccolo HFN 2008

All being used in current system

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts