what next?

mike crump

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My system is made up of the following:

VPI Scout turntable with Benz Micro Ace HO cartridge, Musical Fidelity A1008 amplifier (using internal phono stage), ProAc Response D25 speakers.

Arcam CD92 cd player, Nordost Blue Heaven cables.

Option 1 for the next upgrade : update cartridge to something further up the Benz Micro range

Option 2 : purchase external phono stage.

I would appreciate any thoughts on which is the better option.

Mike

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how good the phono stage on the MF is, but a good external one can make a very big difference to the sound. It might be a good option to try one first to see if there are any gains in SQ.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The Benz Micro Glider is excellent, and a thing of beauty, but not sure how much better than the Ace it will sound to you.

Perhaps another vote for the phono stage upgrade first? I went for an EAR valve phono stage which is superb!

Personally I would not bother to upgrade the phono stage if you are going to continue to use a high output cartridge.

Upgrade your cartridge and stick with Benz if you like their sound or get a low output MC type from them and upgrade the phono stage.

mike crump

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the advice.

Is there really that much of a difference in sound quality between high output and low output mc cartridges? A number of the Benz cartridges have low, medium and high output options and Benz claims there is not a big difference between them.

mike crump said:
Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for the advice.

Is there really that much of a difference in sound quality between high output and low output mc cartridges? A number of the Benz cartridges have low, medium and high output options and Benz claims there is not a big difference between them.

You'd have to listen for yourself but I believe there is.

The only reason most firms make a high output version is so people can plug it directly into an integrated amps phono stage (if it has one) thus negating the need for an extra box of tricks.

If you are going to do this you might just as well spend the money on a really good moving magnet design (more bangs-for-your-bucks).

Low output MC's and a good phono preamp is the way to go. If too expensive move to a high quality moving magnet (in my 'ever so 'umble opinion) but go have an audition and see for yourself. :)

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
If your onboard phono is half decent you could always nail a SUT into it for a propper coil . Good way to go if you are not into chopping and changing carts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts