What is your dream Hi-Fi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With the amount of Hi-Fi products out there and all the different choices i thought this might be good to see the different things and combinations people come up with so the question stands:

If money was not an issue what would be your dream Hi-Fi?

What would is consist of and why? And would it be the best Hi-Fi in town?

idc

For the living room.......................

BH9000-thumb-600x291.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
An invisible (or near invisible) system that produces a spacious, airy and uplifting sound without intrusion into whatever else I am doing.

If 'The Archers' are on then my wife can close her eyes and imagine she is in their living room, and if there is a radio debate I can imagine the protaganists are in mine.

Live music will seem like it is live for me and be tangibly 'there'. Every recording space whether intimate club or cathedral or radio studio will reveal itself effortlessly.

I dont want to see the 'means of production' because most hifi is ugly and even the good-looking stuff spoils the 'party trick' of true stereo just by being there to give the game away.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Id like a holodeck from star trek please lol.Back in the real world id have a full kondo system and have my turntable given the full shindo make over.

idc

chebby:

An invisible (or near invisible) system that produces a spacious, airy and uplifting sound without intrusion into whatever else I am doing.

If 'The Archers' are on then my wife can close her eyes and imagine she is in their living room, and if there is a radio debate I can imagine the protaganists are in mine.

Live music will seem like it is live for me and be tangibly 'there'. Every recording space whether intimate club or cathedral or radio studio will reveal itself effortlessly.

I dont want to see the 'means of production' because most hifi is ugly and even the good-looking stuff spoils the 'party trick' of true stereo just by being there to give the game away.

So Chebby how about these..........................

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
idc:
For the living room.......................

ÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Yeah I can really imagine 'er indoors loving those in the living room. She'd be broken, as I'm not sure they go in a flat with wooden floorboards. It would be me looking for Dr Who. Who?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

A pair of these babies:
http://www.gagogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/focalgrandeutopiaem.jpg

With suitable amplification and source ofcourse.

A

Anonymous

I'm quite happy with my system in general. Would like to get a pair of Bryston 28B SST2 and really want a pair of B&W 800D's. I've heard them and totally love them.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
NickD2544:

If money was not an issue what would be your dream Hi-Fi?...

...What would is consist of and why? And would it be the best Hi-Fi in town?

Hi Nick,

My choices are chosen from the best of the components which i've had the opportunity hear...So far.

DCS: Paganini CD/SACD transport & Scarlatti Ring-DAC.(Audio Research: Ref. CD 7,Esoteric: X-01D2 & Nagra: CDP also deserve praise)

Karan Acoustics: KA L Ref. MkII Pre-Amp. & KA S 450 MkII Power-Amp.(the Spectral Audio DMC-30SS & DMA-250 combo. is almost as impressive - in it's own way).

Avalon Accoustics: Isis(though the Focal - Scala Utopia III's performance comes a surprisingly close second - considering the £30,000 price difference)

MIT: Magnum MA cabling & interconnects(MIT's Oracle MA is considered to be even better.Beats me how another cable could be though).

Any Arab Sheikhs,Russian oligarchs or Yankee venture capitalists out there fancy investing in my latest pet project?

If nothing else,it 'll save you from throwin' your hard-earned(?!) cash away on some of these second-tier football clubs(Arsenal,Chelsea,Liverpool,Man. City etc.),in a futile attempt to supplant the Red Devils at the top of the Premier League...After all,there's only ever been One United!!!

He-He...
emotion-14.gif
!

BABUR

A

Anonymous

Without a shadow of a doubt my dream speakers would be the utterly jaw dropping Rockport "Arrakis" speakers (I'd have said B&W Nautilus before I saw these monsters).

Power would be delivered by either Krell or Baldur's very finest (Krell Master Reference?)

Source would be the dCS Scarlatti CD player.

A real shame that it would all cost around three times the average house and would need a room big enough to get lost in!

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The Steinway Lyngdorf Model D Music System. Take a look:http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/Model_D-45.aspx

Absolutely beautiful. By far one of the most elegant and 'posh' speakers i've seen.

matthewpiano

edgarpr:
matthewpiano:The Steinway Lyngdorf Model D Music System. Take a look:http://www.steinwaylyngdorf.com/Model_D-45.aspx

Absolutely beautiful. By far one of the most elegant and 'posh' speakers i've seen.

It should be! The price is earth shattering!!

Seeing this thread raised from the dead made me wonder how I'd answer this question now, a few months and about 4 systems on (arrgghh!!).

In one sense, I'd have to say my dream hi-fi is the one I have now. This might sound strange. After all, its by no means as expensive as some of the kit I've had and its all relatively budget kit. The thing is, everytime I put a CD or LP on, I really enjoy it. This system has got me buying music magazines instead of hi-fi mags, and buying new CDs and LPs instead of putting the money aside for more hi-fi changes.

I know there is still more to come and I will move up to Arcam or Sugden at some point, but for now, in a way, I've achieved my dream - a hi-fi with a high level of resolution that nevertheless allows me to concentrate on the music.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Seeing this thread raised from the dead made
me wonder how I'd answer this question now, a few months and about 4
systems on (arrgghh!!).

Interesting here too Matthew to review whether my dream system has
changed.

chebby:I was thinking more along the lines of these in a recessed book shelf with some holographic class A valve amp tucked away out of sight in my library...

16_2_9f9a355e87ef8b8.jpg

Not a lot it seems.

I recently (in a similar 'lottery win system' type thread) said I would like an Accuphase E-560 pure class A integrated amp with a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers.

So my 'dream' system is still class A (but no longer valve) and still contains a speaker evolved from a BBC design.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Anything less than 30cm deep...

So you would specify shallow shelves throughout your 'dream' home too?

Do you have a phobia of deep shelves? (Or have extremely short arms?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts