What is wrong with the picture on Indiana Jones Crystal Skull Blu Ray

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Just watched this on my setup as below, IFC turned off, set up using THX all ok, but someof the outside scenes "look" like they have been shot in a studio. Now I know they have been, but this is the first BR where you can actaully tell. Colours on the uniforms also looks very strange green, something of a very artificial feel about the whole film but cant put my finger on what.............

Any ideas

A

Anonymous

I thought this as well and put it down to me seeing the Indi films as a kid, but looking with a more critical eye as an adult, I could see flaws - and yes I thought the outside scenes were done on set which as you say, they were...... but they aren't suppose to are they!!!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Yes, the DVD doesn't look too great (as in very artificial) either...

I thought exactly the same, mind you it does not help that the film is rubbish. Glad I never paid the extra for Blu-ray

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
There were some very artificial looking exterior scenes when I saw it at the cinema, particularly in the earlier scenes outside the storage facility.

A

Anonymous

It was shot differently to the other films in the series. I believe it was shot in a way to give it the look and feel of a 50's B-movie. Steven Spielberg paying homage to the films he grew up with I expect. Also fitting given it is set in that time period. I think it looks great personally.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
They are the worst ones IMO, however the later car chase (just before the ants) is dismal. Also when the cars crash on the ant hill it is so obviously computer generated and then cut to a set. Very dissapointing showing especially since it is a Lucasfilm. Hopefully this is a one off!!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
There is an alternative viewpoint. If it was set to give the look and feel of a 50's B Movie then this poses a couple of questions:-

1. Who is the film for? The director or the paying public?

2. If it was shot as a 50's B movie then why use CGI and horrendous blue screen external shots. (just "shoot" the damn thing outside!!!)

3. Why release it on blu ray if it "meant"to be so flawed, surely a release on reel to reel or betamaxwould have been preferable.

4. If it is set in that period then why does a Harley Davidson bike appear that is from outside that period??

This film has made me mad on SO many levels!!! (if you cant tell)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the answer to most if not all of those questions is, "It's meant to be a kids film"...
emotion-5.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks prof.

two points who pays for the films?? and also my 13 yr old said to me "whats wrong with the picture??"

Also so is Wall E, what a cracker

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, couldn't resist
emotion-14.gif

For what it's worth, I saw this in the cinema and the only way it'll end up in my Blu-Ray collection is part of some 5 or 6 disc special boxset which includes the original trilogy.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
At least he didn't replace the guns with walkie talkies this time around....

(FWIW, I thought the opening couple of minutes of Indy 4 were a great example of establish-your-period film-making - it couldn't have been much more 'hey, it's the 1950s!' if it tried. And it worked OK in the cinema - far less well when you can pick on the flaws on BD, though...Like Prof, it'll be a boxset-only buy for me)

Sliced Bread

Andrew Everard:
JohnNewman:I noticed this too. A very 'fake' looking film.

Makes the effects in this

200px-Dragon_Wars_poster.jpg

look convincing!

That looks awesome :)

My favourite genre of film are films that have animals with big teeth, where the animal is bigger than it's supposed to be! you know...Jaws, lake Placid etc... Can't beat em with a stick.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JohnNewman:

That looks awesome :)

My favourite genre of film are films that have animals with big teeth, where the animal is bigger than it's supposed to be! you know...Jaws, lake Placid etc... Can't beat em with a stick.

Lake Placid is a fantastic B-Movie and they're harder to do than many people realise.

Off the top of my head, my favourite modern B-Movies are Lake Placid, Eight-Legged Freaks and Bubba Ho-Tep (worth watching just for Bruce Campbell's Elvis, I lost the actor completely after about 5 minutes, which is the sign of a truly great performance).

However none of those come anywhere close to the king of the B-Movie.....

Tremors!

I could watch that film all day, every day, it never fails to satisfy!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Its ok prof, would do the same LOL

Am going to go and trade it in and get a new BR, any suggestions that dont look like they have been made on a ten pound budget???? that may do credit to my system

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare, agreed the first couple of minutes was good, as soon as they get out and shoot the gaurds as the guy ties his shoelace it just descends into God aweful. Dont get me wrong I am not moaning about the storyline I take this as it is meant, what really spoils it for me is it just "feels" wrong visually.

A

Anonymous

Can someone verify something about this movie please?

This is on the bluray version.

I watched the opening scene where Indy is 'manhandled' by the baddies outside the storage facility and I can see a clear ghosting of Indy quite far from and diagonally up to the right of his right shoulder which moves clearly across the facilities iron facade.

This occurs at about 4'34'' a couple of seconds before Indy says 'Russians'. There is no more and it is not my set up; it is just on this disc and this movie. That is unless anyone else can detect this.

The whole scene seems to be a mess in terms of the lighting consistency; it looks very artifiical at times given the budget and expertise on hand.

A

Anonymous

I bought it because I was told it had a new THX logo.
Only to find it was in DD not true HD.

A

Anonymous

I can forgive alot when it comes to 'Indy' movies but the whole Shia swinging from vine to vine along with the monkeys was too awful!

TRENDING THREADS