What is the safest way to clean. . . .

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
emotion-54.gif
baby wipes, dont laugh it works.

my audio analogue kit is brushed silver, shows up finger prints and marks something rotten, quick wipe, job done.

A

Anonymous

I use a small wet (damp actually) towel and then dry right away with a clean paper towel for most speakers. No chemicals.

Quad 12L with piano black finish is tough to keep clean, but that simply requires a clean dry microfiber cloth to lift off dust and fingerprints.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:Thanks for that suggestion. Monitor Audio RS6 has a high gloss finish, the wet wipes might be detrimental to the finish?

not at all, would you wipe your babys bum with harmfull chemicals....

A

Anonymous

Followed by furniture polish to bring up that lovely veneer.

A

Anonymous

seasiders rock:
plastic penguin:Thanks for that suggestion. Monitor Audio RS6 has a high gloss finish, the wet wipes might be detrimental to the finish?

not at all, would you wipe your babys bum with harmfull chemicals....

Most people dont seem to worry. My personal experience as follows. I used to work for a company that used to make the machines that were used to produce the very products mentioned. The areas that were in contact with the wet wipe formula were made of a high grade stainless steel, similar grade to marine grade and in some cases, medical grade. 2 reasons for this....the health aspect and also because the formula was itself corrosive....yes, corrosive. Perfectly safe in normal use but dont overdo it. A little experiment if you want to try.....take a good sized blob or toothpaste and put it onto a cotton rag....work it in so its a nice gooey mess, roll it up and put it in a small plastic bag...leave for a couple of weeks....open and examine the hole left by the toothpaste. You and many others actually put this stuff in their mouths. A convincing argument for false teeth........
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I don't tend to leave the toothpaste in my mouth for weeks at a time...

A

Anonymous

Sand it down and re varnish it, as I would with a fine piece of furniture.

A

Anonymous

I use soft microfiber cloth for all electronics (as well as all my cars in the past) - gentle, scratch-free and effective! Just use a damp edge to wipe off stains and buff with the dry part.

A

Anonymous

Re baby wipes, be careful as the ones with added oily subsyaces like baby lotion or aloe vera leave streaks. But the oils are best for lifting sticky substances. Then all that has to be done is removing the oil, before polishing.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I would think so, but given they're piano black I'd use a silicon-free, wax-free type.

And as ever, test on an inconspicuous part of the finish first...

idc

plastic penguin:. . .my speaker cabinets? until now I've either used a dry duster or a dank J-Cloth. Tonight I've noticed some sticky marks which seem fairly stubborn. They must of been added courtesy of a little 6 1/2 year old of mine. . . .

I find that small people attract dirt. I suggest wiping your speakers with the 6 1/2 year old and the dirt will transfer from speaker back to the child. Job done.

A

Anonymous

might not be incredibly appealling to everyone but i have found that a microfibre clothe wetted with some saliva works wonders. no, im not joking either - brilliant for cleaning casework of your hifi. must be the enzymes or somthing...

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Monitor Audio sell, on their website, a kit (developed with Autoglym) for their speakers and it does a great job at polishing up their speakers. Pricey though.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Andrew Everard:

Yes, I would think so, but given they're piano black I'd use a silicon-free, wax-free type.

And as ever, test on an inconspicuous part of the finish first...

Will do. Thanks

Monitor Audio state on their website that Mer car polish is used as a final finish. I've the gloss black GR20s and bought a small (500ml) container and did just that. You can find one far cheaper than the MA bespoke kit.

Brings it up a treat. Looks like new again. By the way, the car is filthy, I never polish that!

TRENDING THREADS