What hifi show 2009

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
awesome. Never been to one, but i take it this is a huge convention for audio enthusiasts and their ilk? Will there be Q&A's etc?

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
skularatna: but i take it this is a huge convention for audio enthusiasts and their ilk?ÿ Will there be Q&A's etc?

Err ... no. ÿIf you like games and all the other things in Stuff mag then you will like it. ÿThe Bristol show is good, which I know is only sponsored by WHF, but good venue for audio.

Saying that you do have to go to Excel to appreciate how good other venues are for audio shows.

ÿSorry WHF, I know this has been covered at some length after this years show, maybe the marketing and budget people will change there mind on these things on 2010?

T

the record spot

You're holding it in Edinburgh! Really?! That's very decent of you; I'll be there and you can all come round for tea and cookies after.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
No, keep it a stone's throw (with a very powerful catapult) from my house

It's only 10 mins for me (if the missus drops me down. Over 1hr by bus!!!).

Saying that, Glasge or Edinburrrrra is cheaper to fly to from Bristol than drive to Excel and park. Weird...

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
yeah what ever happened to the show in Edinburgh anyway's? Lack of sales, attendance or too expensive for the venues.... I can remember going to them....I think, hmmmm so long ago...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
What about the other hi-fi related shows in London area in 2009? Do you now where I can get the info?

I remember there was a regular one near Heathrow - when is that runing this year?

Are there any others planned?

Would appreiciate any info.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
No Heathrow show this year.

More on our show - and our involvement in October's Manchester Sound & Vision Show - to follow in the coming months.

idc

Jan 2, 2008
Shame because we drink like fish, the talent is excellent and we know how to have a good time.

P.S - what does AFAIK mean?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
idc:Shame because we drink like fish

Oh dear...

idc:the talent is excellent

Musically, you mean?

idc:P.S - what does AFAIK mean?

as far as I know

A

Anonymous

NEC anyone?
Votes please...........
At least its not on bonfire night this year

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
GC69:NEC anyone?
Votes please...........
At least its not on bonfire night this year

Nooooooo!!!!! Like Andrew, I remember it (all too) well and it was a disaster. We ended up in a freezing hangar next to the National Doll's House convention, or some such, and I vowed never to set foot in the place again.

idc

Jan 2, 2008
Have a vote to see where the most popular place would be, but then again the Spice Girls did that for a concert and the vote was for it to be held in Baghdad, maybe not then...............

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, what's the capitol city of the UK erm.........

LONDON?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Pmaninit:Hmmm, what's the capitol city of the UK erm.........
LONDON?

Last time I looked, yes - but don't go to that there Lunnun too often...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
PJPro:Errr...

You can just pop into The Apple Store on Regent Street PJP. Watch out for nerds tho'

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Manchester would be great for WHF show, as everything is always in london !Theres 52 million ish people elsewhere !

A

Anonymous

we forgot that the world begins and ends in London, so the show must be be in London, because if we go outside London we get a nose bleed.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
bullitt:Manchester would be great for WHF show, as everything is always in london !Theres 52 million ish people elsewhere !

We'll be unveiling the 2009 What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision Awards - and demonstrating many of the winners - at this year's Manchester Sound and Vision Show, October 17-18th...

bullitt

Mar 26, 2008
Clare Newsome:
bullitt:Manchester would be great for WHF show, as everything is always in london !Theres 52 million ish people elsewhere !

We'll be unveiling the 2009 What Hi-fi? Sound and Vision Awards - and demonstrating many of the winners - at this year's Manchester Sound and Vision Show, October 17-18th...

Thats music to my ears ! and some HD hopefully :)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
I would travel outside of London, but I don't think I've had the correct vaccinations. Just have Yellow Fever and Japanese Enchaphalitis...

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
How about Bristol, seeing as it's close to Wales, the West Country, The Midlands and the South West/East of England. It could be worse the national fireplace show is in Harrogate.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Big Aura:I would travel outside of London, but I don't think I've had the correct vaccinations. Just have Yellow Fever and Japanese Enchaphalitis...

I can't go to London, don't have my passport

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Okay, I've looked at the map and have a plan

South East : London

South West/Wales Brisol

Midlands: Chestefield - reasonable distance from both Manchester and Birmingham

North/Scotland: Kilmarnock

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
nick46:we forgot that the world begins and ends in London, so the show must be be in London, because if we go outside London we get a nose bleed.
I would imagine that London would get the most PR, the biggest attendance, has the largest number of people in the target audience with the cash to buy and is nearest to Teddington...

And of course is easiest for foreign manufacturers to get to via the airports or the tunnel.

ÿ

ÿ

John Duncan

Jan 8, 2008
JoelSim:and is nearest to Teddington...

Sadly, getting from Teddington to a London exhibition hall (Wembley or exxxcccceeelll, for instance) can be harder than getting to Leeds.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
And we've done London many, many times before. Thinks it's about time the good folk of the North West got their own show.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Andy Clough:And we've done London many, many times before. Thinks it's about time the good folk of the North West got their own show.

I think the North West bought a new system about 5 years ago. Probably not ready to replace it yet.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
JoelSim:

And of course is easiest for foreign manufacturers to get to via the airports or the tunnel.

There are Airports outside of London, and we have Tunnels.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
laserman16:

The 12.15 flight from Glassssgee to London is deperting at gate 1

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
D.J.KRIME:laserman16:

The 12.15 flight from Glassssgee to London is deperting at gate 1

Nice one.

Have actually flown long haul from both Manchester and Gatwick and Manchester gets my
everytime.

In fact Gatwick was an absolute nightmare.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Andrew Everard:In the current manner, is it called Manchester Ena Sharples Airport yet?

Not as I know of but as you say "in the current manner" anything could happen.

Maybe Heathrow Dot Cotton Airport.

BTW I don't live anywhere near Manchester so I'm not banging their drum as a local. My local airport is Birmingham which is a bit provincial.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Still alive - London Arthur Mullard Airport for Heathrow, and London Dora Bryan Airport for Gatwick.

And Stansted? Jade, anyone...?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Andrew Everard:

Still alive - London Arthur Mullard Airport for Heathrow, and London Dora Bryan Airport for Gatwick.

Naa-shes more Luton Who??

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Andrew Everard:

Of course they have to have croaked. Still it is late.

bonzodog

May 23, 2009
here in bomb n bullet ridden n ireland (yes its kicked off again ) we have george best airport chain smokin alcoholic football player he was , and theres never a mention of a hifi show ,let alone any big reasonably priced decent hifi shops

pana plasma 42"G10 ,sony 280 hcs

A

Anonymous

I thought there was only 1 big hifi show, nation wide, in the UK. Now I have read on this forum that there is more than 1 hifi show by WHF in the UK. Is the Manchester show the most interesting for hifi and home cinema concerning demonstrations of new products, listening rooms,...? We will come to Manchester airport :) Much faster than the combination Eurostar and train London - Manchester.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Just to be clear, the Sound and Vision shows aren't run by us; they're run by a group of retailers, and we are the media partner.

Nabs

Mar 20, 2006
Looking forward to it. What I would love to see is a system room - where what-hifi puts together several systems which will deliver both av and audio rather than sticking to separate 2 channel/ av set ups.

For example one could use a Hi-end system comprising processors and an combination of power/ other hi-end integrated amps seen in their ultimate hi-end issue; then do similar for 2 other different price points.

I would think most people serious about audio/ av build their system up gradually and are left with the dilemma about how to integrate 2channel and multichannel sounds. If one looks at the web and forums individuals try all things having integrated AV amps and taking the 2 front/ 3 front channels in the multichannel setup and feeding them in a dedicated 2 channel/3 channel integrated/pre/power combinations to try and find the right balance etc.

Lets have some demos of such please

A

Anonymous

Clare

Can you tell me where the October 30th show will be?

I can't see it on the Website.

Piers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
The London show, due to open on October 30, was cancelled some time back - as you'll see, Clare's post giving the dates was a good while ago.

Instead we're the media partner of the Manchester show this year - see this blog for updated details

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Yes, the show has been running for some years, but this is the first time the Bristol Show organisers have been involved, and we have been on board as media partner.

idc

Jan 2, 2008
Thanks Andrew, a visit to Manchester is now in the planning, too late this year but definitely next year. I take it the Bristol Show is always in February? Are there any other regular shows that you know of?

idc

Jan 2, 2008
Thanks again, Bristol may well clash with school holidays. Schools seem to get way more holidays now than when I was a child.

EDIT - schools are off the week before, typical.

matthewpiano

Nov 23, 2007
I'm looking forward to the Manchester show this year. I've never been to a show before but I've managed to avoid getting rota'd in to work that Sunday.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
will the equipment just be on display, or will it be demoed?

will the rooms be suitable for listening, or will it be drowned out by other sounds?

i'm thinking of going, but only if i can see and hear the kit properly.

will i be able to ask them to play a cd? i don't see the point of listening to kit with music i've never heard before.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Yes demoed, yes in rooms in which you can listen, and yes you should be able to play your own music, but this will vary from room to room.

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Just over a week to go......

The wife has known for months that this is my solo (eldest son says nerd's) day out (no wife, no kids, no other shops).

She tried to highjack last night it wth the "lets all go to Manchester on that day and I'll do some shopping with the kids".

I don't think so....maybe a compromise on "I'll meet you for lunch if we go in two cars", but this is my day out!

Last years's show had a shopping area and Practical Hifi (now Audio T) were shifting some end of line gear. Will that happen again?

Also if you go to other types of show, they sometimes sell their display gear off at the end of the last day. Does that ever happen at hifi shows?

Also (and finally), will anybody be demoing EB Acoustics EB1 speakers. Had them recommended by WHF for my system, but would like to see them in action - they're not on the list of displays

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Not sure about end-of-line sales, but there will be a sales desk at the show, and i'm sure there will - as at Bristol - be some show deals. I'll see if we can get a hint of any in advance (at the very least we'll bring you a news story on all the offers next Saturday am!)

Re EB Acoustics - as they sell direct, I doubt they'd find a home in a show run by a retailer! Don't forget they offer a money-back guarantee - you can see and hear the EB1s in your own home, with your own system, and send them back if they don't suit.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Had a hint from the organisers that there will be discounts on some Panasonic Viera TVs, but as Clare says we'll get more info when we're at the show and will post here then.

Bazzy

Jun 6, 2008
Hi,

If anyone from London was planning to drive up to the show & return the same day (either Saturday or Sunday) and has space in their car, I would love to tag along - I would of course contribute towards fuel costs! It's just that I am on meds at the moment and really don't fancy driving myself whilst under the influence! Maybe we can arrange where to meet up beforehand?

Bazzy!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Sorry Bazzy, no room left in our van which is packed to the roof with our 2009 Award winners and demo kit, and heading up the M6 to Manchester right now. Did you find anyone else to give you a lift over the weekend?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts