What HiFi recommended system - Roksan/Cyrus/ATC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Chaps. I saw the what HiFi recommended system in the mag today of the Roksan CDP, Cyrus integrated and ATC loudspeakers. It was my understanding that ATCs need some power behind them. Or is that just a stereotype? I used to quite like my Cyrus 7 amplifier but it didn't really have the power for PMC or Dynaudio standmounts; sound much improve with amp upgrades. Is this recommendation truely best at the price point? What HiFi certainly like these brands/products.

A

Anonymous

Interesting quesion.BTW there's a guy on this forum who uses the SCM11's off his budget NAD amp and loves 'em..!jules.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I do agree that ATC need some power up them to sing nicely which as you rightly question the Cyrus ability.

WHF tend to recommend products that are easy for readers to buy and demo which is a good thing imo (remember 1 million reader worldwide)

Cyrus cd player could easily slot in place instead of Roksan but then it wouldn't make a interesting read would it?

A

Anonymous

I would demo it first. If you do, get them to add an X power or even 8 power and see if it drives them better. You can use the integrated purely as a pre, or even to bi-amp (with the integrated on HF). Would increase the cost of the system somewhat though.

A

Anonymous

May I ask what criteria WHAT HIFI based matching the system set up on as it all seems odd to me.

Also, I worry that the insensitive speakers may be too much for the amp and that it could be clipping. Naturally WHAT HIFI are a responsible magazine and would test technical aspects of the system matching, therefore could they (WHF) please provide a graph that you used in testing to show the amp does not clip when driving the speakers you have recommended to use?

Would you generally using a matching amp and CDP?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="darrenwm1"]May I ask what criteria WHAT HIFI based matching the system set up on as it all seems odd to me.

Also, I worry that the insensitive speakers may be too much for the amp and that it could be clipping. Naturally WHAT HIFI are a responsible magazine and would test technical aspects of the system matching, therefore could they (WHF) please provide a graph that you used in testing to show the amp does not clip when driving the speakers you have recommended to use?

Would you generally using a matching amp and CDP?[/quote]
TBH most amps clip with most speakers anyway. To drive speakers well you probably want over 200W of power to avoid clipping entirely (highly subjective statement but just a ballpark example). I expect this is why the MF Superchargers sound so good.

What would be interesting is a curve of frequency response against dB output and a graph of impedance against frequency. This way the min, max and average _measured_ impedance could be provided to validate against the manufacturer claims. Also the measured sensitivity would be useful. But hey, great mag, I read it and will continue to do so.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]My only surprise was that there was no Cyrus CD player within that test?[/quote]
Cyrus haven't managed to settle their internal politics and release their new units. I imagine this is why it didn't make it to the test.

A

Anonymous

Horses mouth:

http://whathifi.com/forums/p/3638/19410.aspx#19410

jules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts