What HiFI rate the Boston Soundware XS but would they recommend over KEF 2005.3 K2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI Everyone,

This is kind of a typicla newbie question, but like everyone i dont want to make the same mistake with speakers

What HiFI have the Boston Soundware XS speakers package as their best buy under £500. You can now pick these up for roughly £350

I have been looking for speakers to replace my crummy Tannoy FX speakers and had decided last year that the KEF 2005.3 were the business, but given that What Hifi have raved about the Bostons im wondering if it is worth buying the extra for the KEF 2005.3 K2? package for £600.

Im sure the bostons are made better than my Tannoy speakers but the specs look fairly similar.

I have a Sony STRDG-820 Reciever

Room size approx 5mx3.5mx2m

Thanks for your help

A

Anonymous

Get the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 system instead for £299.95 from Richer Sounds.

A

Anonymous

Or the MS Alumni, have a pair for the surrounds and they are very solid and great build quality.

The sound is amazing, but if you can get the 1010i for 350.00 I would do that.

I have two on my PC and the bass the 2 produce is quite amazing

A

Anonymous

I did look at 1010i's but thery are a little big

I looked at the Alumni's and Teufel Motiv 3's aswell but got a little confused/concerned that the impedance was rated as 4ohms when everything else is rated as 8ohms. i dont really understand it but my Tannoy Fx speakers are rated 6ohms and crackle a bit under strain, probably just build quality but figured if im going to upgrade id match to the reciever best i could.

A

Anonymous

The ohm thing is something I never looked at, I thought as long as it was for home cinema, it would be ok for all Amps.

I have no problem on my Pioneer VSX819

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Generally speaking it's wise to partner 4 ohm speakers with a relatively high end receiver with plenty of power in reserve ( the receiver will have to work harder to drive the speakers and will run a little hotter). In other words, tread more carefully if you have a budget to mid-range receiver and are considering speakers with lower impedance...

A

Anonymous

So why create the middle range alumni at 499.00 and it not be ideal to partner them with a middle range amp like a pioneer vsx819?

Seems strange to have such a low ohm on a budget speaker system, and then saying better to have a high end amp ?

Cheers, never understood all this ohm stuff

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I guess careful system matching is important. For example, my (mid-range) Yamaha receiver allows me to select a 6 ohm speaker setting for the front channels, and according to the manual (and Yamaha) it's fine driving 4 ohm speakers using this setting.

Other forum members argue that you should use receivers in the £1000 price-bracket or above to drive 4 ohm speakers. Just be careful and make sure your receiver is up to the job before buying...

A

Anonymous

You got me worried now, I already have alumni for my rear and pioneer vsx 819, is the pioneer not up to the job?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Canada16 for making you worry,

you can see why im trying to get this right. From what i have read most Receivers can cover the extra flow of power, i have had a run of bad luck recently with equipment and wanted to ensure that its bang on, besides my wife wouldn't let me change them again after. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, wasn't my intention to panic you! I'm struggling to find an online manual for the UK model. Have you chacked your manual? Does it say anything about driving speakers with a 4 or 6 ohm impedance?

As far as I can tell, you won't have any problems. The Alumni package is 4-8 ohms, 8 ohm standard. I'd be very surprised if you encounter difficulties with this speaker package hooked up to your Pioneer receiver. Larger speakers specifically with a 4 ohm rating might be more tricky, but this doesn't apply in your case.

Hope that helps reassure you...

A

Anonymous

The sites i had been on had only suggested that the Alumni were 4ohms but their own website says 4-8ohms, so i guess panic over. :)

Managed to reserve some at Richer sounds Cambridge for £599, im still pondering though. Its a funny thing when you want something and then cant get it it makes you want it more so im trying to justify the expense to myself and considering cheaper alternatives before driving to Cambridge on Saturday

Am i doing the wrong thing?

KEF 2005.3 k2 £600
frequency response 80Hz - 27kHz, Impedance 8 Ohms
Sub woofer FR 35Hz - 150Hz

or would i be happy with

Boston Soundwave XS £349 Save myself £250
Frequency Response: 150Hz - 20kHz, Impedance 8 ohms
Sub 50 - 150Hz

MS Alumni £500
frequency response 100Hz - 20kHz Impedance 4 - 8 Ohm

Sub 35Hz - 200Hz

TRENDING THREADS