What Hifi Exhibits a Poor Connection/Web Service

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
If I log on as a visitor I generally can navigate around the whole site as well as the forum with only peak times slowing me down. However when I log onto the system properly I have to refresh constantly, especially on the forum site and leaving a new post is hit or miss. I use Blueyonder broadband and I have not had the same problem on other forums but this is really quite frustrating. I am dreading placing a photo on this site. Is anybody else experiencing these problems and is the system they use related with the Avatar problem?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I would quite happily as a member pay a one of fee if necessary to resolve this issue as I constantly get a 400 http bad request on this site....... Would other members be prepared to pay a fee for the necessary update? I love the magazine but cringe trying to get connected.

daveh75

i do have the avatar problem,(whf media guys uploaded mine in case your wondering),but i dont have any of the other problems you have. maybe your problems will be sorted when they do the site update anyway,

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

Sorry to hear you're having these problems. The Avatar upload issue is one we're aware of (for some reason it only affects some people, not all users) and will be fixing it in the upgrade to Community Server 2008 which we're currently working on.

However, the constant refresh problem is not one that's cropped up before. We have come across some problems with specific ISPs (in particular Pipex), but I use Blueyonder/Virgin broadband as well and don't have the issues you mention.

I'll mention it to our Digital Media team on Monday and see if they can shed any light on it. If you have trouble uploading your Avatar, we can do it for you, as you'll read in this thread.

A

Anonymous

I use the site with 5 different ISP's frequently and have never had any of the problems OP describes ( out of peak hours obviously).

A

Anonymous

nads:iget 404 often and on friday morning a totally dead forum for about 30 mins (or less) some error message that i can not remember.

Now you mention it, I did get this yesterday for an extended period, but I'm willing to forgive.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Sounds like an odd one that and as mentioned not one we have seen before. Can you give us a little bit more info?

Are you using PC/Mac/Unix etc? IE Firefox etc? Do you have a firewall set up?

As Andrew mentions above at Haymarket we have proxy servers in pace that sometimes do what you are describing which is really frustrating...

If you get any error pages please let us know how you got them and what the message is, then we can have a look into them.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hiya and thanks for all the responses. It's a normal PC setup with Windows Vista, Internet Explorer 7 with Windows Live Message, I use both Windows Firewall and Virgin PC Guard that has anti virus, spyware, identity theft, pop up blocker and privacy manager. As no else is experiencing this sort of problem then it must be my Belkin Wireless router.

The error message when I log on properly is http 400 bad request that sometimes work when I refresh but mostly means I have come out of the web page entirely and try reloging back on. If I connect as a visitor/guest I can more or less navigate around the site ok. Just seems strange that Shado is not welcome
emotion-9.gif

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Shado,

Try this to help identify problem -
Turn off friendly HTTP error messages in IE. To do this go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced. Uncheck show friendly HTTP error messages. Close / Reopen browser and next time it occurs you should get a more detailed message which hopefully will point you to the real problem.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Kena it just shows bad request - I still reckon it is the Belkin Wireless Router but I see what
emotion-1.gif
What Hifi
emotion-1.gif
IT team have to say.

On another note Kena, have you been up your attic recently? I am still looking for the photo of my pride and joy!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
shado:

Thanks Kena it just shows bad request - I still reckon it is the Belkin Wireless Router but I see what
emotion-1.gif
What Hifi
emotion-1.gif
IT team have to say.

On another note Kena, have you been up your attic recently? I am still looking for the photo of my pride and joy!

Argh ! Mr Gates S/W at its most helpful!!! Hope you get it sorted soon. No due to building work my fridge/freezer is in the hall stopping access to attic , Its driving me nuts as one of the builders is heavily into stuff from way back and keeps mentioning bands I've not heard for eons...

TRENDING THREADS