What Hi-Fi tv show?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I don't know about others out there but if you're into new tv's and home technology as much as I am I think it would be excellent if the What Hi-Fi crew got together and made their own Top Gear-style show, with all of the newest models on show. The team here seem to have good chemistry to create that sort of thing.

I know there's the gadget show but the guys on this sight are more knowledgable about quality details and could really educate people into knowing what's out there.

I think it would be fantastic!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Passed over for comment to our newly-appointed Senior Multimedia Journalist.

Some say his grip on an iPod 4 can make it communicate with distant galaxies.

Some say he can wangle review Blu-rays out of film companies before shooting's even finished.

All we know is...

(Actually, can't wait for the thrills of A Star in a Reasonably-priced Pair of In-Ear Noise-Cancelling Headphones, the screeching cornering shots of an AV receiver, and the bit where Tom, Simon and Madders each have to listen to a a different exotic amplifier in a race to find out - nah, it's a daft idea...)

scene

emotion-2.gif
You been watching the re-runs of Top Gear on iPlayer back-to-back again Mr. E...

A

Anonymous

Exactly what I was thinking. Talking on the telly about the telly's!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cars are an iconic part of western culture in a way that no other 'consumer durable' will ever get anywhere near to.

They star in films and TV programmes (Morse, The Sweeney, Only Fools & Horses, countless road movies, James Bond films, The Italian Job, Bullitt..... etc etc. almost to infinity!)

We invest them with human traits and many people buy cars to express something about themselves and their values (or a fantasy version of themselves and their values) to the world. Some people are almost as sensitive to criticism of their car as they are to criticism of their family or friends. (Some, more so.)

Read Tom Wolfe's.. "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby" or "The last American Hero is Junior Johnson" for some idea of just what the car means in the last 65 years of American (or even British) culture.

No-one ever lived in a "tar-paper hovel" but spent their entire wage on a state-of-the-art hifi to put out the front as a statement to the world of their very being!

Cars are culture, glamour, danger, triumph, love, hate, identity and transport. They have shaped our world and our landscape in a way that a hifi, a fridge or a television cannot. (Yes, Television has changed the world, but i'll bet no television ever changed your life as much as your first car!)

This is why a TV show about hifi will never work. Too few people care. Despite my interest in the subject, I don't want anyone to make such a show.

I have seen films where cameras have more recognition than a sound system. TV series where the furniture is more iconic (Frasier) and 'House' where his motorbike and guitar are far more memorable than his SOTA turntable.

When 'Good Morning Vietnam' was first shown, did anyone ever come out of the cinema talking about the cool Garrard 401s? Maybe one or two, but I would have been too embarassed. If I watch a movie or TV programme and gush about the cool cars there is at least some understanding of this from wife and daughters. (Especially daughters who like cool American cars.) If I gushed about any hifi in a movie, they'd have me sectioned!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Passed over for comment to our newly-appointed Senior Multimedia Journalist.

Some say his grip on an iPod 4 can make it communicate with distant galaxies.

Some say he can wangle review Blu-rays out of film companies before shooting's even finished.

All we know is...

........ he is Andrew Everard, our rather exuberant and cheeky A/V enthusiast!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You see, that doesn't work, as I said I had passed it over to this person. Do try to keep up...

Oh and Ronald Archiebald:our rather exuberant and cheeky A/V enthusiast!! is wrong on just about every count.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cazkatsam:

I don't know about others out there but if you're into new tv's and home technology as much as I am I think it would be excellent if the What Hi-Fi crew got together and made their own Top Gear-style show, with all of the newest models on show. The team here seem to have good chemistry to create that sort of thing.

I know there's the gadget show but the guys on this sight are more knowledgable about quality details and could really educate people into knowing what's out there.

I think it would be fantastic!!!
i can just see clare and andrew seting of for france sitting on a couple of 60 inch kuros with outboard engines atached and jd not far behind on an enegy saving lcd fitted with sail

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
nodnarb4444:i can just see clare and andrew seting of for france sitting on a couple of 60 inch kuros with outboard engines atached and jd not far behind on an enegy saving lcd fitted with sail

Eat less cheese before sleeping.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

No-one ever lived in a "tar-paper hovel" but spent their entire wage on a state-of-the-art hifi to put out the front as a statement to the world of their very being!

Couldn't agree more. I've driven past shacks in the middle of a field in the U.S but there is almost always a brand new/nearly new car parked outside it.

When I say shacks you really have to see these things to believe the state they are in, people over here would probably be ashamed to have it as a garden shed.

emotion-1.gif
Over here it would probably be illegal to keep livestock in them, some are so bad.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts