What hi fi team Nad 315 vs CA 540 c v2 Which is better

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Been offered a CA 540c v2 for £175 is this better value for money than the Nad 315 £160 and which one sounds better, Which has better stereo imagery and has the better sound quality

A

Anonymous

Hi

I do not represent what hi-fi.

The NAD C 315 BEE has very low distortion. The cambridge 540 c v2 has a feel of a more rythmic bass when it comes to hip hop / techno type music. I found that the 315 was best and an incredible bargain.

Your mileage may differ.

I realise that you posted this a while ago.

Frillz

A

Anonymous

How do you find the 640C V2? It's high on my shortlist for a ~£300 CD player.

A

Anonymous

I first bought a Marantnz CD5001 then a CA 540 C V2 which was good and exchanged it for a Denon DCD 700AE which i was not impressed with. It may have been faulty as it took around 7 seconds to read a CDs and CD-Rs and the midrange was muffeled. Then exchanged that for a CA 640 C V2, at first it sounded in your face but good, i then read on the internet that it takes 70 to 150 hours to run in. I then left it on repeat and random play for a week changing the CD a few times when i got home from work and noticed the sound has become less forward and more relaxed, and think it was a excellent £225 well spent. I can hear detail more clearly that used to be in the background and the stereo seperation is very good, but it comes down to personal taste the voice in the midrange is clear and the bass does not dampen out the midrange or stereo image. I using it with Gale 3040, QED Silver for mids and treble and Gale 315 XL for bass and a Kenwood 3060 R amp and CA Artic interconnects i am very pleased. I am considering which amp to get to get the full benefits of the CA 640 i'm looking for an amp with a deep bass line.(CA 640 A V2,Rotel RA 05) Overall i think its a very good CD player and get my vote compaired to others i have had or heard.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gtncj"]I using it with Gale 3040, QED Silver for mids and treble and Gale 315 XL for
bass and a Kenwood 3060 R amp and CA Artic interconnects i am very
please[/quote]

you might want to consider a cable and interconnect upgrade.It could bring you a nice gain in performance.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gtncj"]

Which interconnects and cable upgrade would you suggest and price
[/quote]

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gtncj"][quote user="Gtncj"]

Which interconnects and cable upgrade would you suggest and price
[/quote][/quote]

Van De Hul The Name at £50 or a little cheeper I would go with QED Qunex 2 at £25.

A

Anonymous

qed qunex 2 is a good one, i have one on my tape deck, but dnm reson is better at not much more money.you could probably get a qed qunex 2 on e bay for about 15 quid though.Its not so likely that you would get a reson that cheap. I would change the gale speaker cable for another run of qed or replace both runs of cable with dnm reson mark 2, but thats just cos i am not a fan of qed silver anniversary cable.

A

Anonymous

Fraziel intrested to know why your not a fan of qed silver and what difference will the dmn reason make over the qed, and what difference will the qed qunex 2 make over the CA artic. Thanks to everyone for the info so far. How do you rate CA 640 A amps because after the interconnects and speaker wire upgrade later on in the year i intend to upgrade to CA 640 A V2 or something similar, have you ever heared the Denon 700AE amp or read any reviews on it

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Gtncj"]have you ever heared the Denon 700AE amp or read any reviews on it[/quote]

We tested the Denon PMA-700AE back in Nov 06 and gave it three stars. While it looked the business, it failed in our view to deliver the performance we expected for the money.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gtncj"]
Fraziel intrested to know why your not a fan of qed silver and what difference will the dmn reason make over the qed, and what difference will the qed qunex 2 make over the CA artic. Thanks to everyone for the info so far. How do you rate CA 640 A amps because after the interconnects and speaker wire upgrade later on in the year i intend to upgrade to CA 640 A V2 or something similar, have you ever heared the Denon 700AE amp or read any reviews on it
[/quote]

The reson speaker cable will add a lot more weight to the sound and a will sound a little smoother in the treble.The qed sounds thin and slightly bright in comparison. The qed qunex will, again, add weight as well as making everything sound a little clearer and more open. The reson interconnect has a more solid sound than the qed.Mmusic seems to have more drama and impact with it.The qed sounds a bit grainy too in comparison. The qed is a good interconnect though its just that the reson is only a tenner more new. i like the 640 amp.its a lively listen.Apparently there is a mark 3 on the way so maybe you should hang fire until its available.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the detailed thoughts on the 640C Gtncj, much appreciated.

I think that, with Richer Sounds generous returns policy as my back up, I'm going to take a chance on CA 640C V2 to replace my NAD C541i. If it turns out that I don't like its sound in my system (NAD C370 and Dynaudio Audience 42) then I can return it for a refund and think again.

A

Anonymous

krakow anytime. Andy thanks. Fraziel thanks i think i might wait for the version 3 to come out and see what price the V2 goes down to and weigh up my options, but the info on the interconnects is very intersting and will try that first and see how that goes and when i can afford a new amp i should reap some good benefits with the info shared from you and other members of the website thanks once again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts