What hi fi team CD help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought a Marantz PM 4001 amp and marantz 5001 CD and resorted back to my old hifi kenwood KA 3060R amp big brother to the Kenwood KA 3020 SE and Denon DCD315, i was not impressed with the marantz CD player as i found the treble metalic sounding and not natrual with the Marantz amp. The problem with the amp is that its not powefull enough for the size of my room, in smaller rooms it sound good but in my room it lacks bottom end anyway i've given them away. I plan to keep my amp Kenwood amp as it sound better than i thought compaired to the Marantz PM4001. My problem now is i want to upgrade my CD player my budget is £150-£160. The Cambridge Audio 340, Nad 515BEE,Denon DCD 500 AE are on my shortlist which will give me the best quality and sound stageing with a more natural sound than the Marantz CD player, would the Denon be a up grade to my current player because i heard it got a 2 star rating but have not seen the review. I like delicate treble not harsh like the marantz.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We found the Denon very poor - you can buy far better.

The NAD C515BEE is reviewed on p12 of our current, February issue - we loved it, particularly praising it for its fine level of frequency integration - no harsh top-end here.

We also highly rate the Cambridge Audio Azur 340C, but this has a much more forward-sounding approach you may find too aggressive - more party animal than relaxed listen.

matthewpiano

I think the KA3020SE is in another league to the PM4001. That Kenwood is a superb amplifier and well worth hanging on to. I thought the PM4001 was poor - weedy and lacking in any life. The CD5001 is OK but a bit shallow sounding and slightly hollow in the midrange. I think the C515BEE would partner that Kenwood really well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feed back, the KA 3020 SE was a good amp i originally wanted that amp and went to hyperfi around 12 years ago and they had sold out of the KA 3020SE and the shop assistant said the KA 3060R was a better than the KA 3020 SE the original price for KA 3060R was £350 but he sold it to me for £150. I will go for the NAD rather than the CA 340

matthewpiano

Sorry mate, mis-read your original post!! I think the KA3020SE was the best amp by Kenwood at that time, but I remember the 3060R being very musical and engaging as well. Good price you got it for and a bargain considering its lasted you all this time!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts