Question What hi-fi amp to choose

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Good afternoon,

Am currently planning to purchase a full set hi-fi system (turntable, speakers, amp). However, bti confused here in terms of what to choose. budget about to be sent for the amp arnd EUR 1,500. Would appreciate to receive your recommendations!

Ilias

Good afternoon,

Am currently planning to purchase a full set hi-fi system (turntable, speakers, amp). However, bti confused here in terms of what to choose. budget about to be sent for the amp arnd EUR 1,500. Would appreciate to receive your recommendations!

Ilias
Welcome to the forum.
More information would be helpful. What size room and what speakers did you have in mind?
Is the turntable going to be your only source?
Best advice I can offer is get to visit a local dealer and audition kit. Usually if you buy the whole system from one dealer you can get significant discounts.

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Welcome to the forum.
More information would be helpful. What size room and what speakers did you have in mind?
Is the turntable going to be your only source?
Best advice I can offer is get to visit a local dealer and audition kit. Usually if you buy the whole system from one dealer you can get significant discounts.
many thanks for your reply! size of the room is 10.85m2, thinking of Focal Aria 906. yes turnable to be the only source. already been to one who suggested to combine the above mentioned speakers with Naim Nait 5si. any review on that? many thanks again for replying!

many thanks for your reply! size of the room is 10.85m2, thinking of Focal Aria 906. yes turnable to be the only source. already been to one who suggested to combine the above mentioned speakers with Naim Nait 5si. any review on that? many thanks again for replying!
Not a bad suggestion. Plenty of reviews of the Nait online.
Can you give room size as length and width rather than square metres as s it is more useful.

On second thoughts not sure the 5si has a phono stage....
Needs checking, no it hasn't.
Forget the Naim unless you can budget for a decent external phono preamp
can I suggest you look at a Reg a Elex-R

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Do you already have a significant amount of vinyl, if not, I don't think I'd go down this particular rabbit hole, it can get very expensive very quickly once you realise what's involved.

liagas

Jan 7, 2022
Not a bad suggestion. Plenty of reviews of the Nait online.
Can you give room size as length and width rather than square metres as s it is more useful.

On second thoughts not sure the 5si has a phono stage....
Needs checking, no it hasn't.
Forget the Naim unless you can budget for a decent external phono preamp
can I suggest you look at a Reg a Elex-R
room size let's say 3,50x3,10 (could imagine somewhat like square)

jjbomber

Dec 22, 2006
Pro-ject T1 phono SB has a built in phono stage. That will work well with the above, assuming you like to rock out.
You are on the right path. Just a question of finding what's right for you, and that can only be done by auditioning. In simple terms, it's a bit like asking us what's the best haircut. We will all have different answers and you need to find the one that suits you best. For example, Some will prefer Pro-Ject, some will prefer Teac, some will prefer Elipson. You need to audition to find out what's best for you.

Pro-ject T1 phono SB has a built in phono stage. That will work well with the above, assuming you like to rock out.
You are on the right path. Just a question of finding what's right for you, and that can only be done by auditioning. In simple terms, it's a bit like asking us what's the best haircut. We will all have different answers and you need to find the one that suits you best. For example, Some will prefer Pro-Ject, some will prefer Teac, some will prefer Elipson. You need to audition to find out what's best for you.
There are many turntables that include a phono preamp most of which are pretty poor. If the OPs spending this much on an amp I suggested he looks for one with an inbuilt phono stage or but a decent external one of set on getting the Nait 5si, this will give him more scope when it comes to buying the turntable itself.
Please note his question was regarding the amplifier

plastic penguin

Arcam work very well with Focal, also Arcs have really good built-in phono stages

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts