What Hi Fi Advice Worked For Me...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Recently on another thread a blogger posted some disparaging comments about WHF recommendations. While I'm the last person anyone would accuse of being a blind follower or a "sheep-le" (quite opinionated), I've got to admit that I've found their recommendations to be an excellent source.

Against common sense and unheaded warnings, I purchased expensive speakers (WHF recommended) without an audition. I am notorious for buyer's remorse and I have zero. I've also used WHF recommendations regarding cable and have ended up with the best interconnect I've ever owned.

Now, do I think they always get it right? That's ridiculous. They are giving subjective opinions and are influenced by dozens of factors. There is no "right" answer regarding which Hi Fi products sound best. But they have a good track record for steering in the right direction with me. How about all of you?

And yes, I expect a free WHF tee-shirt...

matthewpiano

Glad its worked out for you.

I think they tend to go in for a different sound to what I like. I listened to the Marantz 6002 combo with B&W 685s that the mag had raved about and thought it was pretty poor for the money, whereas the NAD C325BEE amp which I think is incredibly good only got a pretty mediocre review. I also didn't really get on with the Cyrus 7 amp, finding it too bright and clinical, although I seem to recall WHF raved about it at the time.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Glad its worked out for you.

I think they tend to go in for a different sound to what I like. I listened to the Marantz 6002 combo with B&W 685s that the mag had raved about and thought it was pretty poor for the money, whereas the NAD C325BEE amp which I think is incredibly good only got a pretty mediocre review. I also didn't really get on with the Cyrus 7 amp, finding it too bright and clinical, although I seem to recall WHF raved about it at the time.

Yes, same here, especially with regard to amps and speakers. WHF does go for the forward, pacey, lots of slam thing which I find bright and difficult to listen to over long periods.

A

Anonymous

If anyone thought the recommendations of the What Hi Fi team were universally awful then I can't understand what they'd be doing on this forum. There's lots of other hi fi forums. I'm always interested to hear what people who listen to a lot of products think about any one particular product. When I was first starting out in hi fi I found the magazine indispensable. I do find a few posters on here a little sycophantic though to be honest. Getting all protective and defensive when someone disagrees with the magazine reviewers or points to other sources of information. In all the time I've read the magazine I've never seen that attitude encouraged by the magazine writers themselves. They usually preface their statements with qualifiers like "To us it seemed...". I just think its great there are so many sources of information out there before you buy.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Catcher:I do find a few posters on here a little sycophantic though to be honest. Getting all protective and defensive when someone disagrees with the magazine reviewers or points to other sources of information.

I agree, I have little tolllerance for that attitude either. As I said, they offer opinions. I don't always agree with them. I hope that nobody always agrees with them. I have no problem with opposing opinions. My comment was more directed at the people that think their advice "in general" is rubbish. I really enjoy the magazine's reviews for a couple of reasons.

1. Many other magazines fail to give a grade to equipment. WHF gives out 2 stars on occasion, this adds important credibility.

2. Worse, some magazines like everything.

3. I cannot audition very many brands because of my location. B&W, MA, DynAudio, Arcam, NAD, Rotel. That's about it for my local retailers right now...

4. They hear so many brands they have a perspective I cannot have.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:
3. I cannot audition very many brands because of my location. B&W, MA, DynAudio, Arcam, NAD, Rotel. That's about it for my local retailers right now...

4. They hear so many brands they have a perspective I cannot have.

Exactly. And when I was starting out I bought products recommended by What Hi Fi without hearing them first. I had the magazine and a credit card and went from there. I think I must have cloth ears though because room size and speaker placement aside I never hear that much difference between reasonably good systems.

idc

What hifi is indespensable when starting out, or you live somewhere where access to hifi shops is difficult. I have tended to go with a review where I have found other reviews elsewhere that agree with What hifi. I find that Amazon and its customer reviews are very good that way, though only where there are numerous reviews to get a balanced picture. I have bought a Yamah KX390 cassette deck, Denon TU tuner, Music Fidelity amp and ipod purely on the strength of such reviews. But once started I then audition, so speakers, CDPs, headphones and amps have been bought irrespective of the reviews. Mostly I have agreed with the reviews given, but sometimes not (Rega Mira amp).

I enjoy the reading, knowledge and research part of hifi.

(Jaxwired, you are on a roll with some very good ideas for discussion!)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
idc:

I have tended to go with a review where I have found other reviews elsewhere that agree with What hifi.

Good point. I read every review I could find on any Spendor speaker prior to my purchase. I literally could not find a review that was not positive. And the reviews for the A5 and A6 from 3 different mags were not only positive, they were off the chart. If I had found conflicting reviews or even some hesitancy among reviewers it would have affected my decision. I also used the great input from fellow bloggers.

idc:

I enjoy the reading, knowledge and research part of hifi.

Same here.

idc:

(Jaxwired, you are on a roll with some very good ideas for discussion!)

Thx.

A

Anonymous

I think What Hi-Fi sets high standards in its reviews, and deserves the following it has.

I find it is always a good starting point, and this forum is excellent for the info and chat gleaned off it.

Like the style and presentation but I would never use there judgement without auditioning myself when buying.

The sound you are after is personal, and what is one persons cup of tea is not another's.

idc

Even if I am in a position to audition I would still start here as a means to whittle down the field to potential contenders and then phone and surf to find out what shops has what. For some items such as the latest issues review of racks a review is essential. I could not be bothered auditioning racks. But it was after first seeing a review of racks that I decided it would be worth while getting one. I have also originally went down the cable route after reading reviews. Two separate hifi shops had tried to sell me 'better' speaker cable and interconnects, but I had declined thinking it was just sales patter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts