What Headphones to buy?

Chael

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to get a pair of headphones and my budget is up to £200 ($300) at the max. I have been searching around and reading reviews etc. I listen to mainly Rap and Hip-Hop music and so far I have these headphones in mind: AKG K550, Sennheiser HD 598, Soul by Ludacris SL300. I have heard the Soul by Ludacris are actually suppose to be good, however I won't buy any Beats by Dre as I feel they are more of a fashion accessory rather than a good pair of headphones. If anyone can recommend me any other headphones that will be great, or you can tell me which one you would get from the ones I listed. I am looking for bass but not over the top like the Beats, I am also looking to good overall sound quality. I will be using them mainly in the house so looks aren't an issue for me, aslong as they are comfortable and can we worn for long periods of time. Thanks.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Chael,

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s myself, I find them smooth, open and detailed. I listened to a few AKG models before I bought the HD598s and they were good also. I agree about the beats, not a big fan myself

Chael

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Call me a hypocrite saying that but the SL300's are actually suppose to be really good and have just the right amount of bass but not too much. Any more suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The Beats Mixr I have does have too much bass, but the whole response of the Mixr is so perfectly tuned that you can use a simple bass reducer EQ a la iphone or ipod and voila! Perfect hi-fi sound top to bottom.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The Beats Mixr I have does have too much bass, but the whole response of the Mixr is so perfectly tuned that you can use a simple bass reducer EQ a la iphone or ipod and voila! Perfect hi-fi sound top to bottom.
Hey, who are you and what have you done with Dale?! I can't say anything about the Mixr, but the impression I got from the Solo HD was so bad it made me not want to waste any more of my time on the brand. My main worry about any of these brands is that you'll hear lots of good things about them scattered about the place, Beats seem to have pioneered marketing rubbish so I would steer away from anything that tries to emulate their business model.

Chael: Considering you're looking for something with bass for Hip-Hop and Rap then I would not recommend the AKG K550, not in a million years!! I also can't think that many Sennhiesers would be exciting for the genres you mention, perhaps the HD650 is the most exciting, but even then I've heard people refer to it as boring and that's £300+. I would start my recommendation with something like the Denon AH-D600, or the Philips Fidelio L1... hmm what else....

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Hey, who are you and what have you done with Dale?! I can't say anything about the Mixr, but the impression I got from the Solo HD was so bad it made me not want to waste any more of my time on the brand. My main worry about any of these brands is that you'll hear lots of good things about them scattered about the place, Beats seem to have pioneered marketing rubbish so I would steer away from anything that tries to emulate their business model.

I am Dre-17 from planet Dre-Alpha, and I need one more reviewer - I have been recommended to take 'Quadpatch' away in my ship. Not to worry, as we will leave a replacement. Earth people say "Just say Beats, and all will be OK".

(Just kidding of course) - Dre didn't do anything to change the build quality or business model or anything else. But, if you were looking for something much like the v-moda M100, without most of the physical quality, with a little less comfort, and with a little less clarity across the spectrum, the Mixr does a good job of playing M100 Junior. So if you're willing to accept a less-than-stellar value for amout spent, the Mixr just might fill the bill.

As far as I know, the only Beats that have a pretense of being able to play hi-fi are the Mixr and the Executive, but I don't anticipate ever getting a sample of the Executive to test at home.

Chael

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's or the Denon AH-D600, If you guys could tell me what one out of these would be better for my purpose I would greatly appreciate it, also my brother has the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the quality for that price if brilliant but the comfort for them just doesn't cut it for me. Thanks in advance.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
dalethorn said:
I am Dre-17 from planet Dre-Alpha, and I need one more reviewer - I have been recommended to take 'Quadpatch' away in my ship. Not to worry, as we will leave a replacement. Earth people say "Just say Beats, and all will be OK".
Hehe! I should have also said that I hugely respect your opinions on headphones and regardless of my brand hatred I'm sure you have a point here.

eggontoast said:
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Beyerdynamic DT770pro
Good point there, although I would recommend the 32 Ohm Limited Edition DT770 for better volumes through portable players.

Chael said:
Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking about the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's or the Denon AH-D600, If you guys could tell me what one out of these would be better for my purpose I would greatly appreciate it, also my brother has the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the quality for that price if brilliant but the comfort for them just doesn't cut it for me. Thanks in advance.
I haven't heard either of these, although I hope to soon. I've heard good things about both though and it's worth noting that the Denon D600s price has been generall reduced from £400 down to £200 (most of the range halved because they were a bit overly optimistic).

As for the comfort of the M50s, I have heard good things about people replacing the pads with other brands versions, if that helps. Generally the Beyer COP is useful if you're not sure how much bass you want, plus they look pretty :).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts