What HDMI cable?

Harpo

Dec 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I know this subject has been covered loads of times but I need to get a cable ASAP.

I've just bought a Panny BD35 blu-ray and want to connect it to my Panny PZ70.

I've looked at QED HDMI-P performance, QED HDMI-SR & Van Den Hul flat. I only want 1mtr length

I just want a cable to get the best from this pair.

Any advise appreciated..I need to get this ordered tomorrow

Regards Steve.

A

Anonymous

For a short length such as one metre, it does not make a lick of difference what cable you buy. Any aftermarket HDMI cable will do the job. You will not be able to detect any difference between a £10 and a £100 cable.

Mr K.

A

Anonymous

I just ordered this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MicroVillage-PREMIUM-HDMI-Cable-Metre/dp/B000Z6YS6Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230495346&sr=8-1

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Here we go again... our blind testing suggests otherwise. And, yet again, why is it always 'cheap vs. expensive'? You can currently get a QED HDMI-P for less than £20 that offers far better build-quality alone (even if you remain sceptical about performance differences) than no-name brands.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Amazing that people will spend hundreds if not thousands on TVs,bluray players and AV amps and yet are happy to connect it all together with a lead costing £3.50.

A

Anonymous

Is there much difference between the cables then?
emotion-1.gif

I have always been scepticle when buying expensive "wires" and never done so in my dj'ing haydays!,it has always been my opinion you must have a trained eye/ears to spot the differences,but i havent tested any,you guys are the experts

but paying a few quid for a cable,compared to the amounts some shops are charging them for.

but for me,i am only using one for a normal dvd player

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Well, if there's 40 plus reviews of a cable that costs a fiver, you might as well save your money. And like the other guy said, whichever cable you buy at 1 to 2 metres, it makes no significant difference anyway.

Each to their own, i know i'm getting one when i get my new set anyway, just to observe what a five pound cable can do.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Here we go again... our blind testing suggests otherwise.

Please note that this was for a 1 metre length. The length makes a significant difference - as does the circuitry on the transmitting and receiving side. More upmarket equipment tend to be more forgiving, being able to handle "bad cables" easier.

But for short runs and certainly as short as 1m, it does not make a difference. I do agree that it makes sense to spend a bit on build quality though.

I am basing this on my many years of developing display technology for the professional A/V market.

Mr K.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Mr K:
Clare Newsome:Here we go again... our blind testing suggests otherwise.

Please note that this was for a 1 metre length. The length makes a significant difference - as does the circuitry on the transmitting and receiving side. More upmarket equipment tend to be more forgiving, being able to handle "bad cables" easier.

But for short runs and certainly as short as 1m, it does not make a difference. I do agree that it makes sense to spend a bit on build quality though.

I am basing this on my many years of developing display technology for the professional A/V market.

Mr K.

And we are basing our reviews on many years of blind testing many different cables, at different lengths. Such regular, comparative testing is something few people do (and we'd encourage everyone to have a go, by borrowing cables from friends/retailers etc).

Anyway, Mr K, I can tell we're going to have to agree to differ on this one, but glad you agree re build quality - at the very least - making a difference, and therefore buying from a reputable brand (that offers a warranty, and in many cases money-back guarantee, too) is a sensible suggestion.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Clare,

can I ask your opinion regarding HDMI cable with the likes of the pioneer KRP500A, as this is using it's own dedicated HDMI cable from the external box to the display, have you noted any difference with the HDMI cable connected to the AV amp while still running through the std Pioneer cable. I know this is a propriatory and not an interchangeable cable but am curious to have an opinion.

Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Other than gazing at the Pioneer KRP500A's beauty in action, i've not been involved in the hands-on testing of the two-box Kuro, so can't answer that question, i'm afraid - hopefully someone on the test team will spot this, or i'd ask again after 2nd Jan!

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
And what makes you think Fisual aren't a reputable company who don't offer a good service? Have a look on Amazon yourself, they offer all the customer services other companies do. For a 1 to 2 metre cable there's no difference even worth thinking about, maybe if i wanted a 5 or 10 metre cable i'd look at a slightly dearer company, i'd still look at the cheap, well built ones though. Also, you only have to look at the 40 or more reviews of the Fisual cable from other customers who've tried and tested it against QED, other cables etc, there's no difference. Some people just hate on cables that are cheap, you'd think they'd love them for the performance! Oh well, making money always has to come into it somewhere.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Here we go again... our blind testing suggests otherwise. And, yet again, why is it always 'cheap vs. expensive'? You can currently get a QED HDMI-P for less than £20 that offers far better build-quality alone (even if you remain sceptical about performance differences) than no-name brands.

Do you have links to your blind tests Claire? Or if they dont exist can you 'PLEASE' look into doing one sometime?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:All the testing behind WHFSV's cable reviews is done blind.

Im asking for viewable results Andrew. Comparing the cables etc. As it stands this is NEVER going to go away until people at least START printing statistics off.......

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm. think that could be like opening a can of worms... what appears perfect on paper may not be perfect when inserted into a system. I'm sure years ago there was testing done based on hifi interconnects regarding their electrical and mechanical properties, and am sure that there were some surprises in there too whne added to a reference system. IMHO, only way to find out is by using in your own system and reviewing for yourself....

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I still think it saves a lot of money if you try out a small priced one first, if it's not what you desire, then you've only wasted an absolute pittance. It saves spening £40 to £100 on a cable/accessory and thinking you've been robbed where the performance is irrelevant based on a short length.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Why not Fisual? Do you not like to save money, Hmm?

man: "There's no pleasing some people."

another man: "That's just what Jesus said, sir!

Monty Python's Life Of Brian.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Ha ha ha - I love this forum. I was just thinking about HDMI cables and thought 'who would know about HDMI cables at Christmas?'. I love it!! Anyway, to say something sensible, is there a difference between 1 and 2 metre cables? It seems not. Also, I have just installed a kdl-40w4500 in the kitchen and it looks great, but the sound is rubbish. I don't want full home cinema because it's not practical and want to know about soundbar-type systems. Post-Christmas, I'm looking to shell out no more than 300 notes and saw the Logic3 TX101 for about £175 or should I go with Yamaha? Many thanks in advance.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:

Why not Fisual? Do you not like to save money, Hmm?

man: "There's no pleasing some people."

another man: "That's just what Jesus said, sir!

Monty Python's Life Of Brian.

You just talked about spending a pittance, and then spending more money if it's not right. Now your asking someone else about saving money, jeez get a grip man. I agree with the QED cable at under £20 espescially when your on about short cable lengths. At the end of the day it's your descision....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts