What have you bought anything the better half has fumed with?

Oh boy....

Little backstory: Purchased a new (used) car, which was well over budget. That was financed by the business, so effectively a company car.

This all happened around two weeks after I purchased the PMCs. That was the tipping point. The muck really hit the fan.

Oh well, she relented over Xmas but she's still hinting at the amount I've spent in the last couple of months.

I would love to buy a ClearAudio or a high-end Pro-ject turntable, but a PSU box is easier to hide... and cheaper.

You only live once but there's a delicate compromise, as I found to my cost, when you have a family.

T

the record spot

Yup, for sure. The Sansui AU-717 did it. I'd been buying a lot (relatively speaking) off Ebay. Amps, power conditioner, cables...madness. The ex was rightly hacked off at the time.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
i once bought a house without consulting my Wife (she wasnt at all happy but fortunately it was a very nice house)

i also regularly buy cars for us both entirely independantly

Therefore bits of hifi equipment do not enter her radar at all - what she doesnt know won't hurt her

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Acoustic treatment or 'crap on the walls' as she calls it. She went ballistic at the price of some Auralex panels I bought (in hindsight £150 was ridiculous for what they are/do).

For the most part she just accepts I buy stuff and there's no point whining. As I point out to her - the kids never go without, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't have sky, don't go out, cycle to work in all weathers, etc. so it's my only hobby that incurs any cost. That said she knows I'm very careful of money and wouldn't be spending anything silly.

Told her what I spent on my amp will be a secret I take to the grave though - God help me if she knew it was twice what she's got in her 'Disneyland fund' she's been working on :pray:

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Well, when I started piecing together my hifi, initially I started by telling mine I was just replacing the amp. Then it became the amp plus power amp. Then I figured I could do with upgrading the CD player, so that got done too. It was when I bought the turntable that I pushed her over the edge. Though admittedly, I did get pretty far I feel!

matthewpiano

Luckily (and surprisingly given my endless box swapping over recent years), my wife has been extremely accommodating about my hi-fi habit. I think I've got mad at myself before she has even started to simmer about it.

It is actually me that has decided to take a step back and realise that it is all over-the-top, that I can be happy with a good sounding affordable system, and that I don't need to be constantly thinking about the next 'improvement'. I've missed the music and I'm re-claiming my life.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Luckily (and surprisingly given my endless box swapping over recent years), my wife has been extremely accommodating about my hi-fi habit. I think I've got mad at myself before she has even started to simmer about it.

It is actually me that has decided to take a step back and realise that it is all over-the-top, that I can be happy with a good sounding affordable system, and that I don't need to be constantly thinking about the next 'improvement'. I've missed the music and I'm re-claiming my life.

This is one of the few posts that isn't patronising & sexist! A friend is going through a bout of clinical depression, although he currently has some work, his financial affairs are not that stable. He recently bought a couple of power amps for his system (£850 each) that both blew within an hour of each other after one month. They were bought on his girlfriend's credit card. She got really worried about his mental state to the extent she became so depressed herself that she stopped checking this card a/c & got blamed for not stopping his spending! You cannot spend your way out of depression!

This is a fairly extreme example of HiFi spending (he spent £600 0n a XLR IC at the same time) that's dangerously obsessive. I sometimes wonder if anyone who owns anything more than a modest stereo has a personality disorder. By definition, this includes myself of course.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
busb said:
matthewpiano said:

This is one of the few posts that isn't patronising & sexist! A friend is going through a bout of clinical depression, although he currently has some work, his financial affairs are not that stable. He recently bought a couple of power amps for his system (£850 each) that both blew within an hour of each other after one month. They were bought on his girlfriend's credit card. She got really worried about his mental state to the extent she became so depressed herself that she stopped checking this card a/c & got blamed for not stopping his spending! You cannot spend your way out of depression!

This is a fairly extreme example of HiFi spending (he spent £600 0n a XLR IC at the same time) that's dangerously obsessive. I sometimes wonder if anyone who owns anything more than a modest stereo has a personality disorder. By definition, this includes myself of course.

A sobering thought, thanks for sharing it

Hope your friend can get through it.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A few years ago I had an almighty rush of blood when I went into Audio-T in Manchester. Initially just to demo a new Naim amp, but the nice Audio T sales assistent just happened to show me this new thing called a Uniti that had just come out. It had the WOW factor, blew me away, and with a 12.5% January Sales reduction, 10% down and nothing to pay for a year etc.etc. I signed up for one there and then.

That was a difficult conversation when I got home.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I bought one of these

HC-11092011183122.jpg

and the better half, who is French, fumed with it.

But no problem – it suits him rather better than it does me, though I do draw the line at having to refer to him as M. 'Olmes :rofl:

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
matthewpiano said:

busb mental illness is a grave and overlooked sickness I honestly hope that both your friend and his partner can get better. You mention “bout of clinical depression" which makes me think it's reoccurring. :(

I could go on, but this is not the time or place.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Namefail & Mac

Thanks for your concern for my pal. Our 1st ever conversation in a pub where I live was about my Shure V15III - that was nearly forty yrs ago so a long standing friendship! When you cry for hours on end, it's pretty serious. He told me that he tried to kill himself with some meds for migraine which his girlfriend fortunately hid. I can't say if that's for real or attention seeking - those that want to kill themselves often just do it rather than threaten to do so. Depression is not known for allowing clear thinking!

I had moderate depression for about 4 months 10yrs ago. I felt restless in bed, resrless when with friends - horrible feeling of continuous ennui - a bit like wanting to sit down to rest but being unable to do so. St John's wort made me feel sick. Eventually, it lifted & I feel more robust having experienced it, not that I would recommend it!

Famous last words but I don't think he will kill himself but he started recovering to then nosedive. He's going on a course early next week which he initially thought he wouldn't need. I hope he gets well to enjoy his new power amps (when fixed) & for his girlfriend's sake as well. I just glad I've never suffered from serious depression. My lower back freezed up painfully a week ago - you feel like good health will never return. I'm sleeping on a firm mattress & all symptoms have virtually gone but hobbling to a local curry house with a walking stick was sobering - so good health to us all in 2014, 2015, 2016...!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
You can sometimes win equipment in competitions, but obviously not too often, or get equipment changed under guarantee if you have a dealer who will part exchange and the wife does not see your credit card or bank statements.

matthewpiano

Coll said:
You can sometimes win equipment in competitions, but obviously not too often, or get equipment changed under guarantee if you have a dealer who will part exchange and the wife does not see your credit card or bank statements.

Sounds like plain dishonesty to me. The very last person I want to lie to is my wife.

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Coll said:

Sounds like plain dishonesty to me. The very last person I want to lie to is my wife.

You're right and it would be, but I smell a joke round these parts.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Coll said:

a deeply shocking revelation

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I generally find it is better to 'butter up' your other half before buying some new kit rather than after. I have something in mind so I am planning an interesting and music related treat for her birthday next month.

I plan to hire a convertable and take her for a drive......

"On a dark desert highway,

Cool wind in her hair"

And visit that hotel for a pitcher of margueritas and an overnight say....... 8)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

My girlfriend has never fumed with anything I've bought. She's very understanding with things like that and I have total freedom to buy whatever I like.

I do however always run any big purchasers by her first. I have a habit of getting 'a bee in my bonnet' about things and value her sensible opinion more than my own. I'm very lucky. She's my voice of reason and keeps me from getting into trouble.

matthewpiano

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

My girlfriend has never fumed with anything I've bought. She's very understanding with things like that and I have total freedom to buy whatever I like.

I do however always run any big purchasers by her first. I have a habit of getting 'a bee in my bonnet' about things and value her sensible opinion more than my own. I'm very lucky. She's my voice of reason and keeps me from getting into trouble.

:cheers:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
I generally find it is better to 'butter up' your other half before buying some new kit rather than after. I have something in mind so I am planning an interesting and music related treat for her birthday next month.

I plan to hire a convertable and take her for a drive......

"On a dark desert highway,

Cool wind in her hair"

And visit that hotel for a pitcher of margueritas and an overnight say....... 8)

That's very reassuring Dave! Someone here is showing some style. I had this sinking feeling that these forum's main purpose was to cater for mostly middle-aged men with moderate personality disorders or at best, just being plain selfish - to ease their guilt with the knowledge that plenty of other men either ignore their partner's wishes or just deceive them! I hope some wives get their own back - I bet some woman somewhere has forced their ex to sell their precious system & or house as part of a settlement!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts