What Format for Concerts - Hifi or Home Cinema?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
After comparing Blurays/DVDs/CDs which format excel with concert performance? This is a shortlist of Live recordings I possess....

CDs - The Corrs/Celine Dion/Dire Straits/Scorpions

DVDs - Celine Dion/Heart/Abba/Duran Duran

Blu Ray - Iron Maiden/Celine Dion/U2/Queen/Take That.

I must admit with CDs I prefer the recording studio or radio edit versions as the Cyrus mandate of trying to extract the total rendition or the holy grail of each piece removes the magic and atmosphere of the live performance.

DVDs through the Yamaha 21 two watt tweeters plus 2 twenty watt Bass to create the Surround Projectors and a Sub Woofer enhances the live effect through effective manipulative surround sound. 2.0 Channel sound requires DSP setting in Music mode, whereas 5.0 I prefer 5 Channel Stereo setting for more insight revelation.

Bluray is more hit and miss where U2 Rattle and Hum is not worth the extra over DVD in both picture and sound whereas Queen Live at Montreal/Live Aid is, so care must be taken over older recordings, whether it was shot in 35 mm or TV format. Iron Maiden Flight 666/Take That - The Circus and Celine Dion - A New Day are phenomenal BD offerings.

With relation to concerts I much prefer the AV format, however I have not heard what SACD has to offer! Which do you prefer?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
With live stuff I like to see as well as hear.

Where possible I'll get Blu-Ray (Porcupine Tree, Metallica). Where not, I'll settle for DVD (Strapping Young Lad, Lamb Of God, Dream Theater)

CD ain't a bad alternative for the car though (Queen, Pantera)

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi BigChris,

I just find with older versions then DVD can hold their own compared to Bluray with U2 Rattle & Hum being a classsic example. I loved this version on VHS when it was originally released and would argue that a CRT/VHS is better suited than HDTV/BD. Most likely with ELO etc.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The Metallica Blu-Ray is razor sharp. Looks eeriely good. The sound quality is top notch too. Porcupine Tree picture quality is good but not great. It's on a par with some of the better Dream Theater DVDs. The sound quailty is far and away better than any of the Dream Theater DVDs though (And they're not shabby by any means).

Had an old Saxon VHS years ago, and Metallica's 'Cliff 'Em All' on VHS. Not sure if I'd be particularly interested in either of these on BD or DVD. Maybe just for nostalgia's sake (I haven't had a VCR for years), but the quality of both was pretty poor, especially the Metallica, but due to the nature of the vid, I guess that's not surprising (mostly fan shot footage).

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Would just like to say I was given a copy of Jean Michelle Jarre on dvd ... it was the Live From The Forbidden City concert which sounds amazing .. would anyone know if this concert is available on blu-ray ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm also of the belief that live gigs should be seen as well as heard. Live CD's are a 2 channel affair, whereas DVD/Bluray also offer 5.1 options. If listening 2 channel soundtracks, it's usually best to let the system to reproduce the ambience of the venue as it's been recorded, but some live gigs sound dull. I've found that some of the DSP modes of Yamaha AV amps are extremely good at bringing this sort of soundtrack to life, giving them more of a three dimensional feel.

One of the most enjoyable I've heard recently is the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club live DVD, which also comes with a 2 channel CD version so you can pick aural 2 channel or visual 5.1 channel - win win! Great visuals, worth a purchase
emotion-21.gif

I've not yet tried any live gigs on Bluray yet.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts