What firewall software for tne computer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I was going to get a netbook, but in the end went for a Dell Inspiron 15 as the GF wanted a larger screen, but now I need to load some firewall software, so that the bad people from the net do not steal things!

What would people advise? If it is free from the internet that would be better, but I really do not mind spending a few quid to get a really good one.

Thanks,

Phil

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You should be more looking at 'anti virus' programs and the like (Avira, kaspersky etc)

But as for firewalls ~ zonealarm and pctools are pretty good (And free)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I used to run both Zone Alarm and AVG. I now only run AVG as Zone Alarm was a bit wobbly on Vista at the time. It also interfered with TVersity (something I no longer use). I don't know if Zone Alarm has improved or not.

Comodo is another firewall that I've read good things about but it did not have a Vista version when I was looking. I believe it does now.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
For the record - I personally wouldnt touch AVG with a bargepole. I go on a well known 'money' forum with many MANY people who have problems with AVG letting 'nasties' through (Particulalry malware and trojans)

I do have 'some' expertise in this area

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Haven't experienced any problems here with AVG......that I know of. No AV will be 100%. I'm relying on AVG, Defender, Windows Firewall and the hardware firewall in my modem/router to be adequate.

What is the extent/nature of your expertise AlienRik?

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I use Bitdefender Intenet Security 2009 , (AV, Firewall , Spam) On my second year and never had any issues would definately recommend - For peace of mind I also occasionally run AD-Aware (Free) & Malwarebytes Anti Malware (Never found anything to date) Windows Defender , Never just rely on Windows Firewall It's just asking for trouble...

A

Anonymous

i use windows firewall without any issues so less of the microsoft bashing please. if people use common sense when surfing the internet and downloading files they will have no problem.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Haven't experienced any problems here with AVG......that I know of. No AV will be 100%. I'm relying on AVG, Defender, Windows Firewall and the hardware firewall in my modem/router to be adequate. What is the extent/nature of your expertise AlienRik?

I regularly remove malware/trojans/viruses etc from peoples computers. MOST of them use either Norton, Mcafee or AVG

Im in no way stating using AVG is bad, its down to common sense. Clearly you have a fair degree of sense about you so I wouldnt expect you to get infected

The fact the OP has come on asking about firewalls suggests to me that they dont have much of an idea about computers and how to go about being 'safe' on them

anyways, AVG ~

slow, poor detection rates, lets FAR too many things through it shouldnt, extremely poor firewall (In the paid for product obviously) and sometimes causes quite a few problems it shouldnt (Conflicting with other programs etc)

Its also a nightmare to remove (In fact I think its near impossible to completely remove)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. For interests sake, can you recommend a tool I can run to scan my PC to see if anything has got past my protection?

I'd prefer something that doesn't install but am happy to download. I'd rather not run something from the web for hours.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:OK. For interests sake, can you recommend a tool I can run to scan my PC to see if anything has got past my protection? I'd prefer something that doesn't install but am happy to download. I'd rather not run something from the web for hours.

If I am right ,one of the packages mentioned by Erik is pctools,and notwithstanding two packages of the same name ,go to google and type googlepack and open the googlepack site. Untick everything except spyware doctor and download.then run it .If you want you can disable it after scans and just call it up when you want to scan.Erik, I would be grateful if you confirm this is the package you refer to.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
No problem ~

Download MALWAREBYTES (Click 'DOWNLOAD NOW')
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-18510_4-10804572.html?cdlPid=10997763
UPDATE and FULL scan (Or quick scan if you just want a general check)

The results are in (quick scan)....

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39
Database version: 2481
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

22/07/2009 21:22:09
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (21-22-09).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 99446
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Not conclusive, I know...but a good start. I run the full scan later and post the results.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Back to the original posters query,

Do you have online banking, most banks offer some form of free or reduced cost antivirus.

Otherwise there are a lot of deals with Kapesrsky 2009 on te web at the moment.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

I only ment pc tools firewall ~

Download PC TOOLS FIREWALL (Click 'DOWNLOAD NOW')
http://www.download.com/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-Free-Edition/3000-10435_4-10625321.html

(UNTICK 'threatfire' on installation)

Their anti virus software is cr*p

Thanks for the unadulterated opinion.
emotion-2.gif
. everything is relative and "pucker" packages like McAfee do not remove trojans (as previously stated by you) anywhere near as effectively as spyware doctor IMO . That might still leave spyd as cr*p but then where does that leave McAfee.I am not in your anti-v league by the way but just interested as I have kids who find ways into all sorts of cr*p.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread....merely ascertain whether the options I had proposed were an adequate form of protection.

Clearly, if they were found to be wanting I would withdraw my recommendation and reconsider the steps I myself am taking to address security.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:aliEnRIK:

No problem ~

Download MALWAREBYTES (Click 'DOWNLOAD NOW')
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-18510_4-10804572.html?cdlPid=10997763
UPDATE and FULL scan (Or quick scan if you just want a general check)

The results are in (quick scan)....
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.39 Database version: 2481 Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 22/07/2009 21:22:09 mbam-log-2009-07-22 (21-22-09).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 99446 Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 46 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 0 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 0 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 0 Memory Processes Infected: (No malicious items detected) Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: (No malicious items detected)

Not conclusive, I know...but a good start. I run the full scan later and post the results.

I do notice your only on SERVICE PACK 1

You 'should' be on SP2 now (security updates etc)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:aliEnRIK:

I only ment pc tools firewall ~

Download PC TOOLS FIREWALL (Click 'DOWNLOAD NOW')
http://www.download.com/PC-Tools-Firewall-Plus-Free-Edition/3000-10435_4-10625321.html

(UNTICK 'threatfire' on installation)

Their anti virus software is cr*p

Thanks for the unadulterated opinion.
emotion-2.gif
. everything is relative and "pucker" packages like McAfee do not remove trojans (as previously stated by you) anywhere near as effectively as spyware doctor IMO . That might still leave spyd as cr*p but then where does that leave McAfee.I am not in your anti-v league by the way but just interested as I have kids who find ways into all sorts of cr*p.

Spyware doctor is pretty good but as the name suggests ~ its only really for 'spyware' (Which kids are VERY good at getting onto computers
emotion-4.gif
)

(I think your getting confused though. Spyware doctor has nothing to do with pctools anti virus/firewall)

For the record ~ Ive found Mcafee absolutely awful as software. Its REALLY slow and still misses a lot of things it shouldnt

If your going to buy one then Kaspersky is the way to go IMO (But youd need to run the 'mcafee removal tool' first)

Generally speaking no matter WHAT you use id always recommend malwarebytes as a secondary scanner as NO software will find 100% of everything but malwarebytes does a pretty damn good job all the same

Sometimes no software can find the problem so I use more thorough methods (But that involves me removing the nasties by hand as opposed to a program finding them. I use 'combofix' for this but NEVER run combofix if you dont know what your doing as it can (And does) kill computers depending on whats running

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. The full scan has completed....

Database version: 2481
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

22/07/2009 22:58:22
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (22-58-22).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:|D:|E:|)
Objects scanned: 274054
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 11 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

So it looks as though my protection is adequate.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I D/L antimalware after reading this thread and got the following results

Database version: 2482
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

22/07/2009 22:55:49
mbam-log-2009-07-22 (22-55-49).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:|)
Objects scanned: 233007
Time elapsed: 52 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 2
Files Infected: 6

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{b64f4a7c-97c9-11da-8bde-f66bad1e3f3a} (Rogue.WinAntiVirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREFBrowsingAdvisor (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionUninstallfbrowsingadvisor_is1 (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:program FilesFBrowsingAdvisor (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:program FilesFBrowserAdvisor (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:program filesfbrowsingadvisorIXPCOMEvents.xpt (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:program filesfbrowsingadvisorLogo.png (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:program filesfbrowsingadvisormain.db (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:program filesfbrowsingadvisorunins000.dat (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
c:program filesfbrowsingadvisorunins000.exe (Trojan.FBrowsingAdvisor) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:program FilesSetup.exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

7 infections,any idea what they were doing while on my computer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts