What do you actually do?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What do actually do when listening to your hifi, do you just sit there, do you close your eyes, do watch something on TV, do you read, do you play along, just curious to know. :quest:

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
What do actually do when listening to your hifi, do you just sit there, do you close your eyes, do watch something on TV, do you read, do you play along, just curious to know. :quest:

When actually listening I do just sit there and listen, but I have to admit quite a lot of the time one or other of the systems is on and playing music while I am doing other things.

Trouble is, a good system does tend to command the attention, and make it hard to concentrate on other tasks.

jjbomber

BigH said:

All of them really. The music is on all the time, typically 4 concerts a day. Sometimes I just want to feel the vibe, so it's eyes closed and listen time. Other times I'm on the PC, so it's background music. If there's a rugby match on. I'll watch that with the commentary sound down and music playing. Then at night time it's romantic tunes playing while the wife and I EDITED to the sound. OK, I lied about the last bit but we do have a Naim Uniti in the bedroom! One that works!!!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the music surely. A lot of music is light and can just be "in the background". For example, I will play early Haydn symphonies or 60s pop (or Classic FM - that doesn't stretch the brain lol) whilst studying or playing internet bridge. However, more serious music needs attention and I can't do anything else at the same time as the two things distract from each other.

Chris

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I like nothing better than sitting down with a cup of tea, reading a good book and listening to some music. Although I do find myself just sitting and listening if a piece of music completely grabs my attention.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Actually when i'm listening to music i'm usually driving my car, it's not very often i listen to music at home although i do sometimes.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
danrv said:
Tend to just sit. If you're doing something, in my opinion your'e not really listening.

(Almost) totally disagree. As a family man who doesn't work for a Hifi shop or magazine I rarely get the time "just to listen". A good system playing good music increases my enjoyment of anything, so when I get the chance I do the things I like to do...Faff around with photoshop, photos, read forums and listen to music. Also why my ADM9s are in use as computer speakers :)

I'm a software developer by trade and we're even allowed to use Spotify at work with headphones. Increased productivity...

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
BigH said:

When actually listening I do just sit there and listen, but I have to admit quite a lot of the time one or other of the systems is on and playing music while I am doing other things.

Trouble is, a good system does tend to command the attention, and make it hard to concentrate on other tasks.

I agree with this, even on the occasions when I play music for a bit of background ambiance I can't help but to be totaly distracted by it and just appreciate it. It's actually very good just putting on a playlist of favorte tracks and being surprised by how much your favourite music in a random order grabs your attention.

I have been known to bop around the house or get out the air guitar on occasions, just last night I was moshing to the white stripes :rockout:

manicm

On a weekend after a night out I often lie on my couch and listen to music with the lights out, but dozing off eventually - but there's something I've noticed; althought my current Monitor Audio BX2 speakers are ultimately better suited to my Arcam Solo Mini, there's a certain piece at the final track of King Crimson's Red album called Starless, which my first speaker set used to wake me up with - the final saxophone signature repetition. Those speakers were B&W 685s - and to me that seperates a great speaker from a merely good one!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Play mindless games like Drop 7 on ipad, or sudoku, or read record reviews in magazines (printed copies) whilst online on amazon ready to order any that take my fancy. And intravenous drip to cope with my addictions :)

A

Anonymous

Depends on the music. Reading usually (mostly listening through sonos so have ipad in front of me), then I'll just have to stop and listen becuase the song is great.

I have been known to just jump around too when the song is rocking, sometimes a little moon walk. I bet Andrew does the same but is too shy to admit it

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
really depends is the easy answer. Depends on music, mood, time of day, whether kids and missus are in etc etc. Not always in the mood for intense proper listening session, and at other times nothing less will do.

I cannot do any proper reading while music is playing. never could at school/uni, and don't read for work or even books while music plays now. Only mags/the web, but nothing that needs actual attention.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
danrv said:
Tend to just sit. If you're doing something, in my opinion your'e not really listening.

(Almost) totally disagree. As a family man who doesn't work for a Hifi shop or magazine I rarely get the time "just to listen". A good system playing good music increases my enjoyment of anything, so when I get the chance I do the things I like to do...Faff around with photoshop, photos, read forums and listen to music. Also why my ADM9s are in use as computer speakers :)

I'm a software developer by trade and we're even allowed to use Spotify at work with headphones. Increased productivity...

As Andrew says, a good system tends to demand attention as my system does. My bedroom is my listening room and the most I'll do while listening is read the CD track listings. If i turn on the TV, read something or move out of the 'sweet spot' I'm not paying attention and therefore mssing the whole point of hifi.

Sure I'll stick the radio on in the garage while fixing my motorbikes or play a CD in the lounge or kitchen but this is background music. Fair point if you don't have time to just sit and listen but to me this is the only way to fully appreciate true hifi.

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Tend to sit and listen, especially to a new cd. Sometimes read too. Find myself listening to the radio through the hifi less often, instead I use the tv to listen to radio programmes while doing something else.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:

I try to avoid drumming too vigourously in the middle of a corner...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Commuting/travelling

Surfing the internet

Cooking

Eating

Doing other domestic stuff

Reading

Rarely, but importantly, - just listening (maybe with a drink)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts