What do I need to play music from my NAS?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Wonder if someone could help me clear the digital/wifi music fog.

I have a NAS.

I have an Amp.

I would like to play music through my amp from the NAS (apple iTunes music). But I dont want to have a PC/Mac on. Just a remote control or something. I looked at the Logitech Squeezebox, but for that you need a PC on. Are there other options?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
daveh75:
You dont need your pc on for squeezeboxes, if you install squeezecenter on the NAS. Though i believe it's a pita to do so.

Another option would be Sonos.

Thanks Dave, I wouldnt really know where to start with installing it on the NAS (I have a Freecom job with limited connectivity). I wonder if Sonos is an option. After some discussion the other day on another thread I had a look at the iPod Sonos software and it looks very impressive. Maybe this needs more investigation.

In general then, are you saying these are the only options for direct play from NAS without a PC?

A

Anonymous

Really depends on what model of Freecom you have.

If it is a NAS, then it should provide a UPnP/DLNA protocol share to the network. If is does, Sonos should be able to stream from it.

A squeezebox will need squeezebox server installed on the NAS, which is a non-starter from Freecom AFAIK. OR, if the Freecom provides a USB interface, it could be plugged into a squeezebox touch wich can use attached USB disks.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
WDTV Live will also do.. Plays aac, wma, mp3 and flac either from wired or wifi connection from networked drives, standalone external HDDs or pc based media servers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts