What do I need to guarantee the best sound from bryston bda-1?

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I will be getting a bryston bda-1 shortly but wondered what connections in and out I need to ensure the best quality. I was thinking optical in, and balanced connection out would be best, but since my amp desn't have balanced inputs I'll just use the analogue. All my music is ripped to my pc - currently around 3/4 of my music is stored in apple lossless, with the rest in aac or mp3 at 192-320kbps.

I'm a bit hazy on what upsampling does, so if someone could explain and what say what setting I'd need on the bryston to get the best from lossless cd rips from the airport express being controlled by iphone that would be good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Audioholic:I was thinking optical in, and balanced connection out would be best, but since my amp desn't have balanced inputs I'll just use the analogue.

Balanced XLR output connections are analogue too. (The BDA-1 does have an AES/EBU balanced digital input which looks like the XLR analogue outputs. But please don't confuse them
emotion-2.gif
)

Your (digital) options between computer and BDA-1 are going to be determined by what the computer has. It will have USB for sure but does it have optical? Some (like Apple) have mini-Toslink optical connection built into the headphone mini-jack. Does yours?

Does your computer have a wireless card? (802.11g or 802.11n) If so, then you can get it to talk to an Airport Express and connect the AE to the BDA-1 with optical.

You will also need an RS232 port on your PC (you probably have) as firmware downloads are achieved via RS232 connection and have to be done from a Windows platform. (You mention a PC so that should be OK.)

Here is the Manual.....

http://bryston.com/BrystonSite05/pdfs/BDA1/BDA1_MANUAL_20081103.pdf

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts