What digital coaxial cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’d like to get a good coaxial digital cable to connect my Macbook pro to my Bryston BDA-1 DAC
I haven't had the chance to listen to any coaxial cables as yet and was hoping for recommendation based on your experience and preference. I am particularly interested in advice from people who compared several coaxial digital cables. Could you let me know what cables you’ve listened to and what you decided to get. My budget is circa £150
Cheers

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
debt_collector:I'd like to get a good coaxial digital cable to connect my Macbook pro to my Bryston BDA-1 DAC
I haven't had the chance to listen to any coaxial cables as yet and was hoping for recommendation based on your experience and preference. I am particularly interested in advice from people who compared several coaxial digital cables. Could you let me know what cables you've listened to and what you decided to get. My budget is circa £150
Cheers

Give Clearer Audio Silverline a try.

I went through a few of the QED cables including the very good SR one but this cable is the best.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I never realised a MacBook pro had a digital coax connection.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3629

None mentioned.

LIke what Chebby said - I'm sure it only has an optical output requiring a mini toslink adaptor.

However, just in case, I have been impressed with Acoustic Zen MC2 digital coax. They aren't supposed to make any difference, but using my CD as a source through this cable into my Russ Andrews DAC1-USB is clearly superior to optical/usb inputs via my iMac. They are not readily available in this country but it's worth tracking down one 2nd hand like I did.

A

Anonymous

Up until a few days ago, I was using a number of coax cables, mainly between my Theta dac, and its anti jitter device, one a fairly costly Chord, and the other a similarly priced Van Den Hul, and, on the findings of a guy whose opinion I respect, tried one of my spare Silver High Breed Ic's (not a coax)

I was astounded with the result at a fraction of the cost of either of my others!

I then swapped out another one, a Beresford coax, which I also found to be a "giant killer" in favour of the partner SHB, between my disc spinner and the dac, and was also amazed at how it upped the sound a notch or two.

You have nothing to lose by getting one, as they have a money back guarantee, dont like it? send it back for a refund.

But, Id be willing to bet you do like what you hear, and will be as surprised as we were.

I did post a topic a day or so back, stating my findings, and one of the replies asked how can a different coax make a difference to the sound, I have no idea other than to say it does, and not just to my ears.

A

Anonymous

icehockeyboy:
Up until a few days ago, I was using a number of coax cables, mainly between my Theta dac, and its anti jitter device, one a fairly costly Chord, and the other a similarly priced Van Den Hul, and, on the findings of a guy whose opinion I respect, tried one of my spare Silver High Breed Ic's (not a coax)

I was astounded with the result at a fraction of the cost of either of my others!

I then swapped out another one, a Beresford coax, which I also found to be a "giant killer" in favour of the partner SHB, between my disc spinner and the dac, and was also amazed at how it upped the sound a notch or two.

You have nothing to lose by getting one, as they have a money back guarantee, dont like it? send it back for a refund.

But, Id be willing to bet you do like what you hear, and will be as surprised as we were.

I did post a topic a day or so back, stating my findings, and one of the replies asked how can a different coax make a difference to the sound, I have no idea other than to say it does, and not just to my ears.

So are you saying there is no difference between phono and coaxial?

Surely a dedicated coxaial would be the preferred choice.

You seem to 'promote' the SHB alot, no affiliation I assume, I have just ordered a set to see what all the fuss is about.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-Digital-Coaxial-Cables-ALL/dp/B0014LTJTM

With the following review. Saves you some money too
Does the jobBy Peter H. on 6 Aug. 2012Verified PurchaseI compared this to a £70 WhatHifi 5 star rated cable on loan with a DAC I was testing. Couldn't hear the slightest difference, not surprisingly. Speakers are Quad ESL63s, so pretty revealing. Seems well made, too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MykhailM said:
My undisputed winner is Malbru Silver CX cable that constantly brings a much thicker and deeper sound, I think it`s hard to bit, you may find them on Amazon. So auditioning is a MUST ...

Where did you buy yours?

Was it from your own Amazon shop ?

Bl##dy spammer. Pay for your advertising like legitimate businesses have too. W@nker.

I wouldn't be suprised if you were also 'M. Malega' from 'About us' on the Malbru Cables website.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't buy one anyway as the ad is riddled with the usual fancy audio cable nonesense such as:

P.S. please allow at least 70 hours of "burn-in" time for the new interconnects to settle for better sound.

So a digital signal now has an effect on the material properties of the cable does it? Like to see the evidence on that one.

I despair

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
MykhailM said:
My undisputed winner is Malbru Silver CX cable that constantly brings a much thicker and deeper sound, I think it`s hard to bit, you may find them on Amazon. So auditioning is a MUST ...

Where did you buy yours?

Bl##dy spammer. Pay for your advertising like legitimate businesses have too. W@nker.

I wouldn't be suprised if you were also 'M. Malega' from 'About us' on the Malbru Cables website.

Ohhh Chebby, where is the christmas spirit :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
chebby said:
MykhailM said:

Where did you buy yours?

Bl##dy spammer. Pay for your advertising like legitimate businesses have too. shiny mains cable you are so fond of.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Actually the Malbru cables website is a serious laugh. Lots of information about burning in your cables and links to similar BS articles. Makes R*** An***** look like a saint. Surprised Sepp Blatter hasn't endorsed these cables they are sooo good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nick8858 said:
Actually the Malbru cables website is a serious laugh. Lots of information about burning in your cables and links to similar BS articles. Makes R*** An***** look like a saint.

Scotland already has one St Andrews. (Patron saint of middle-aged businessmen walking around wearing expensive casual wear and whacking their balls into holes in the grass.)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
chebby said:
MykhailM said:

Where did you buy yours?

Bl##dy spammer. Pay for your advertising like legitimate businesses have too. shiny mains cable you are so fond of.

Correct, never had a response.

Never mind, its a cable, it has the correct fuse and is, of what I can see, very well made (and inexpensive in the greater scheme of things.

I can live without the BS certificate on a cable (plug) but understand some may not.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
All competently made digital cables are the same.

Chris

That's like saying a Ford Mondeo is the same as a Vauxhall Vectra.

To the OP I would say, look for a reasonably priced cable of relatively robust construction with decent robust end plugs that will survive being plugged and unplugged several hundred times Any portable device is likely to be moved, plugged and unplugged, over and over again. Whatever cable you choose cable isn'tgoing to turn your ipod / pad / whatever into the latest and greatest digital audio source, but if the plugs break you'll be miffed.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

That's like saying a Ford Mondeo is the same as a Vauxhall Vectra.

To the OP I would say, look for a reasonably priced cable of relatively robust construction with decent robust end plugs that will survive being plugged and unplugged several hundred times Any portable device is likely to be moved, plugged and unplugged, over and over again. Whatever cable you choose cable isn'tgoing to turn your ipod / pad / whatever into the latest and greatest digital audio source, but if the plugs break you'll be miffed.

It isn't the same at all! Cars have loads of variables that make them different from each other. Digital cables merely have to deliver a stream of binary bits and it doesn't even matter if they are degraded in the process as long as the 1's and 0's can be identified. All competently made cables can do that which is why the snake oil marketing is just that.

You are of course correct about robustness if the cables are unplugged and plugged a lot.

Chris

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

It isn't the same at all! Cars have loads of variables that make them different from each other. Digital cables merely have to deliver a stream of binary bits and it doesn't even matter if they are degraded in the process as long as the 1's and 0's can be identified. All competently made cables can do that which is why the snake oil marketing is just that.

Wrong.

The 1s and 0s won't all make it through a bad cable, and the hardware at the receiving end will spend half its time error correcting.

Don't believe me? Try connecting your i-whatever to your DAC with a straightened out coathanger and tell me how well that works.

I work with guys who specify, manufacture, test and install some of the most demanding digital comms you can imagine. They get VERY particular about their cable specs.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Wrong.

The 1s and 0s won't all make it through a bad cable, and the hardware at the receiving end will spend half its time error correcting.

Yup and that totally messes up stereo imaging, produces flabby bass, unfocused midrange and less air in the highs, with worst scenario where even the pitch sounds off. It's exactly like running a bakery when some of your supplies don't get delivered because of bad roads and traffic congestion, so your cakes and tarts start being tasting weird, less vanilla here, less chocolate there, and customers will stop coming. Manufacturers now declare on their cables the purity of the copper (99.99999%) and that tells you how many potholes are on the road to the bakery. The purer it is, less delivery trucks will be damaged and more of your supplies will arrive and more customers will stay with your business in your area. It's like with sound. You can't improve it, just hope to lose as less as possible.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Wrong.

Don't believe me? Try connecting your i-whatever to your DAC with a straightened out coathanger and tell me how well that works.

I work with guys who specify, manufacture, test and install some of the most demanding digital comms you can imagine. They get VERY particular about their cable specs.

Yes, but Chris did specify 'competently made cables', and a straightened coathanger could never be described as a competently made digital cable (though it will work well as a coathanger if you bend it back into shape).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Yup and that totally messes up stereo imaging, produces flabby bass, unfocused midrange and less air in the highs, with worst scenario where even the pitch sounds off. It's exactly like running a bakery when some of your supplies don't get delivered because of bad roads and traffic congestion, so your cakes and tarts start being tasting weird, less vanilla here, less chocolate there, and customers will stop coming. Manufacturers now declare on their cables the purity of the copper (99.99999%) and that tells you how many potholes are on the road to the bakery. The purer it is, less delivery trucks will be damaged and more of your supplies will arrive and more customers will stay with your business in your area. It's like with sound. You can't improve it, just hope to lose as less as possible.

You are Thompson, and I claim my £5.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:

You are Thompson, and I claim my £5.

Not really. I couldn't replicate his grammar and spelling even if I ate a bucket of LSD.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:

If you carry on like this some people might believe you rather than realise it's satire.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Wrong.

Yes, but Chris did specify 'competently made cables', and a straightened coathanger could never be described as a competently made digital cable (though it will work well as a coathanger if you bend it back into shape).

Exactly!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts