What combination to choose Rotel RA1520 + B&W685 or NAD355BEE + MA RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just saw and heard the Rotel RA1520 integrated amp and it looks and sounds sweet indeed. I have been saving for the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers though but am unable to audition these yet. I listen to a wide range of music, from alternative rock (radiohead, the pixies, rise against) to r&b (jay sean, beyonce). What is the difference in sound between the B&Ws and Monitor Audios? The Rotel vs. the NAD?

All comments are most welcome. Thank you.

A

Anonymous

Thanks jaxwired for the response. Although the room is on the small side (12 x 18 feet, with the speakers against the longer wall), I imagine that the NAD/MA combination would work. How about the Rotel RA1520 with the MA Rx6? Or the Marantz 8003? I have narrowed my choices to these 3 amps and the 2 speakers I have mentioned in the title.

BTW you have a great setup with the NAD separates and Dynaudio speakers, you've done a good job with the acoustic panels too.

A

Anonymous

The NAD 355 + MA RX6 would be my choice as well. I am not impressed with the 685's sound.

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I know this will make your choice a wee bit more difficult to make, but I'm piping in on the Rotel and B&W combo here. While both choices have their merits, the reputation of exceptional Rotel build quality tilts the scales fro me.

Cheers!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The above combos will work very well; for a bigger room I'd be going down the NAD C355BEE integrated along with the M/A RX6's.

For a smaller room I'd be going for the NAD C355BEE integrated along with the B&W 685's on decent stands (i.e Partington Super Dreadnoughts at a minimum).

The Rotel would work very well too but having a similar music taste; IMO the NAD is just that bit better
emotion-5.gif

Dont foreget re speaker cable and interconnects as well. These will make a difference to the over all sound/soundstage

RPA123:

I just saw and heard the Rotel RA1520 integrated amp and it looks and sounds sweet indeed. I have been saving for the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers though but am unable to audition these yet. I listen to a wide range of music, from alternative rock (radiohead, the pixies, rise against) to r&b (jay sean, beyonce). What is the difference in sound between the B&Ws and Monitor Audios? The Rotel vs. the NAD?

I will disagree with the others and say, despite the Nad being a fabulous amp and immensely talented with all musical genres, the Rotel is worth the extra. Even in a large room the Rotel/B&W combo will have far more presence and staging than the Nad IMO.

If you're willing to spend around £800 or so on floorstanders, why not invest extra on Standmounts? The EB 1s, although not heard them, but have a great reputation, would suit both Nad and Rotel with aplomb.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd also be looking at the M/A RX2's, possibly along with the NAD C326BEE integrated as well as the C355BEE integrated.

Do you have a reason as to why youre sticking with the Rotel, NAD, M/A and B&W seperates though?

Also; what's your overall budget?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Here's the difference. I regularly post on several different forums. The subject of NAD comes up occassionally on all of them. Everytime it does, people come out of the woodwork to comment how great their amps sound. They have very few unhappy customers. NAD amps sound fanstastic for the money. People often move on to more expensive kit, but they always remeber their NAD gear fondly. Now obviously, this is unscientific and anecdotal, but I still think it speaks volumes for NAD amps. Overwhelmingly, people enjoy their music when they own NAD. Rotel is more of a mixed bag. I'd recommend NAD over Rotel everytime. Rotel is miles ahead of NAD in appearance. That's about it.

jaxwired:Here's the difference. I regularly post on several different forums. The subject of NAD comes up occassionally on all of them. Everytime it does, people come out of the woodwork to comment how great their amps sound. They have very few unhappy customers. NAD amps sound fanstastic for the money. People often move on to more expensive kit, but they always remeber their NAD gear fondly. Now obviously, this is unscientific and anecdotal, but I still think it speaks volumes for NAD amps. Overwhelmingly, people enjoy their music when they own NAD. Rotel is more of a mixed bag. I'd recommend NAD over Rotel everytime. Rotel is miles ahead of NAD in appearance. That's about it.

Your comments are very valid - like you, I like the Nad very much and thus cannot say anything negative about their products.

When I upgrade my system, I will have the same affection towards my Arcs and will probably refer to Arcam as and when, because, like the Nad stuff, for the money, there's very little to moan about.

However, when I've compared Rotel and Nad in the past they are two different animals: The nad is dynamic and errs towards the warm side of neutral; detail levels are very good indeed. The Rotel, on the other hand, has all those sonic virtues, but with added pace. It produces a rapid sound that, metaphorically speaking, has your body tapping with shear pleasure.

Plus factor in it's almost twice the price as the Nad. The other downside to Rotels, in my experience, is they demand a bit more care when system matching.....and I think this is why many people always refer to the Nad with fondness; like the Arcam, it'll pretty much sound impressive with a wider range of equipment.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the comments. The M/A RX2 is also an interesting option. I have selected the components mentioned to keep the purchasing process simple - manufacturers I've had experience with and products that I can audition here in Southern California. I have heard the B&W 685 and I like the overall balance of the sound. I previously listened to the M/A GR 20 a few years back and was really impressed by both the materials used and the sound of this floorstander. I have previously owned NAD amps (315bee and the 218thx - a beast of an amp) and liked the sound but am unable to audition new products with Monitor Audio speakers. I have not owned Rotel equipment but the brief demo with the RA1520 impressed me, this amp looks better than the NAD but am not sure it sounds better for the range of music I listen to.

The overall budget for amp and speakers is $1800. I have been away from hi fi for over a year and this is a good way to start over again. I will also be building a computer-based audio digital source. This project though deserves another thread.

Again, thank you for all the comments.

RPA123:

Hi RPA123

I too will highly recommend the NAD C355BEE with Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers. It is superb combination and one that will give you long term satisfaction.

Another amplifier also worth considering (and one that also works well with the Silver RX6's) is Naim's excellent Nait5i.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Wow! A NAD/Rotel battle!

Both are good amps. The NAD injects a little warmth into things, which is great for those that like things a little civilised. For me, Rotel is a little more raw and neutral, which is what I prefer.

On the back up side of things, we find Rotel to be much better than NAD, who's ideas about customer service belong in the dark ages.

A

Anonymous

The RX2 is an excellent speaker, especially since it would be placed in a smaller room. I like it far more than the 685. Its lows remain controlled and the sound seems less colored overall. Give it a listen if you have the chance.

The money saved from the speaker purchase could be used on better amplification. :) Just my 2 cents worth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts