What CD player: NAD C525BEE or Cambridge Audio 540C V2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to buy a new entry CD player - both the above (NAD 525 and CA 540C) appeal, but i have not found any sites that compare the two?

Can anyone give an opinion? I had a previous NAD 521 and liked it a lot.

It is for an entry level system: B&W 601s, good connects, Rotel amp. And to play all music types.

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

CA540C V2, excellent player for the money and the remote is great.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I've had my c.a 540 v2 for over 2 years now and have really enjoyed it.It owes me absolutley nothing and made weekend nights in for saving purposes a breeze.I had it paired with a 540 amp and monitor audio rs1 speakers.Treble could be a tad hard wearing after a while.I've recently swapped that amp for a c.a 840 amp v1 (which cured that issue) and the cd player still holds its own.Its due an upgrade now but it was my first proper cd player.My old mans going to inherit it(along with the 540 amp).There are no lemons in your short list that is for sure.Go by your impressions after a demo with your own music.Enjoy

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips - sounds like you're right - a demo between these few should resolve the question! Was just struggling to find any good opinions comparing the two. I know What Hifi did not like the 525 so much in their review, but other reviews online (e.g. in the US) suggested there was nothing between that and the CA.

Much appreciated

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I haven't heard the 525BEE, but I own the previous model, 521BEE, and I have also owned in the past NAD 542, CA 640 V1, and CA 340. Also Arcam and Creek players.

I like better the NAD players that I've had; I think their tonal balance is more correct; they have more weight, and a more rounded and amable sound. They are also more dynamic. The CAs have more high end sparkle, and this can be fun for some music, for a while, but for me in a long term it becomes tiring. They also sound thiner and a dynamically more polite. Their strength however is timing and the way they can separate each instrument and each musical line with accuracy. As usual it's a matter of taste which brand you like better.

matthewpiano

Depends what you like but I'd personally go for the NAD. I dug my C521BEE out today to see how that and my old Sansui amp sounded through my speakers compared to my Cambridge Audio stuff. The end result is that I am quite shocked. I've listened to music all day for the first time in ages and listened to (and been thrilled by) some albums that I've found unlistenable for ages. I agree entirely with the previous poster - the NAD players have a fuller and more outright dynamic sound. In short, they are actually more about music and less about hi-fi. The Cambridge ones are very hi-fi - extremely impressive in their way (the 740C for example is brilliant at many things). You pays yer money and yer makes yer choice.

A

Anonymous

I ended up buying the NAD, and the listening experience i have had since is pretty much as the last two contributors posted. The sound immediately struck me as fuller. I did listen to the CA 540 in store, but not at home, so it's not quite a fair comparison, but I would agree based on what I have heard (and my own tastes!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts