what can i fill my speaker stands with?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hiya, i dont think i can just put sand in them as the stands arent all one peice but actually made up of 3 different oblong shaped peices connected to the floor panel and the top speaker panel.... So im thinking if i put sand in the sand would most probably keep making a mess and come out of the bottom eventually as its not a tight seal, Is there an alternative to sand that would be better for me? Thanks for the info.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some of this stuff: http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/stand-accessories/atacama-atabites.html?cpgn=201&utm_source=products-adds&utm_campaign=Atabites&gclid=CLWolfzP-K0CFe4htAodTHPatg

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've got Atacama Nexus stands filled with sand. there are steal pipes joining with steal bottom plate. no washers or sealing of any other kind. yet not a single grain of sand escaped so far. if pipes and bottom plate are well matched you've got nothing to worry. not to mention sand is waaay cheaper then atabites.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
Hiya, i dont think i can just put sand in them as the stands arent all one peice but actually made up of 3 different oblong shaped peices connected to the floor panel and the top speaker panel.... So im thinking if i put sand in the sand would most probably keep making a mess and come out of the bottom eventually as its not a tight seal, Is there an alternative to sand that would be better for me? Thanks for the info.

I filled the steel tubes with cat litter ;)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Or just find some plastic bags a bit bigger than the internal cavity of the stands, put them inside and then fill them with sand so they spread to fill the internal space.

A

Anonymous

Cement!

Lead shot.

Coins!

Sand!

Past its use by date solder!

Agregate.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
'Kiln Dried Sand' . . . is available from B&Q, they use it for filling the joins in block paving, its not expensive.

A tip to anyone who is filling stands, fully filled may not be correct . . . ? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 may be better for your room/speaker combination.

A plastic funnel is a great help, kiln dried sand runs like water. Mark a stick 1/4, 1/2 etc., fill to the mark, listen, make notes, then 1/2 and so on to full. If full was the best, you have lost nothing seal hole, enjoy music. If you prefer a lower filling you need to empty to the preferred stick mark. Its a faff, but its the only way to get it right, I'll predict 1/2-3/4 is best?

You could be more refined, I used to work by weight, far more accurate.

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Kiln dried sand, or childrens play sand, its probably the same stuff. Nice and dry, and won't stain.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
My Ruark Talisman II's weigh about 25kg each, and I've read that they can actually sound better unfilled. This seems to be the complete opposite to everything I read on here

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Dr Lodge said:
Kiln dried sand, or childrens play sand, its probably the same stuff. Nice and dry, and won't stain.

Though did once hear of dried sand soaking up moisture in a badly ventilated flat, causing some stands to rust from the inside out. First owner lnew was some seepage of rust stains from around the joints in the stands...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Dr Lodge said:

Though did once hear of dried sand soaking up moisture in a badly ventilated flat, causing some stands to rust from the inside out. First owner lnew was some seepage of rust stains from around the joints in the stands...

Thats more likely to be the steal used was badly stored and was rusty inside to start with? . . . a little moisture in the air did the rest? Talking as an ex manufacturer . . . unless the listening room was the bathroom . . . drastic measure to get the echo acoustic???:bounce:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
My Ruark Talisman II's weigh about 25kg each, and I've read that they can actually sound better unfilled. This seems to be the complete opposite to everything I read on here

Interesting that, I wonder how they have achieved 25kg and if the resulting sound is a little dead and base light? Takes my mind back to the Kef paper, 'heavy stands dont work'. True, they dont, unless you know how to do it . . . ??? 8)

Sand filling is a halfway house, over don it does not work, under do it and you at least have a stable base for your speaker.

CJSF

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I bought them a couple of years ago in mint condition and to be honest it never dawned on me that the base filling might be the cause. I'd read that filling them improved the bass, not hindered them, but they've sounded painfully thin since I've had them. At the weight they are I'm pretty certain they must be filled and hope (if so) removing this might make a night and day difference. Reviews for filling stands/speakers etc says overfilling bloats the bass rather than removes it, so having a distinct lack of bass in them, it never occured to me that the opposite could be true for these Ruark's

I guess the only way is to carefully take them apart and have a look...

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Everything logically points to the fact that the heavier and therefore more inert the platform that you place your speakers on, then better that should help them to perform. For years, due to the fact that it was too much faff and fiddle to experiment, I just followed this logic and had my stands completely filled with atabites as I though it woud help keep the bass as tight as possible in my small room. But what may seem logical just isn't always the case in reality.

Following the advice of the manufacturer of my speakers I tried removing all the filling from my stands, and the sound was so much better. The bass was just so much 'bouncier' (but not boomier or looser at all) and the sound sounded far more relaxed and free-breathing. Why? No idea. But it just goes to show that you really need to experiment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
Everything logically points to the fact that the heavier and therefore more inert the platform that you place your speakers on, then better that should help them to perform. For years, due to the fact that it was too much faff and fiddle to experiment, I just followed this logic and had my stands completely filled with atabites as I though it woud help keep the bass as tight as possible in my small room. But what may seem logical just isn't always the case in reality.

Following the advice of the manufacturer of my speakers I tried removing all the filling from my stands, and the sound was so much better. The bass was just so much 'bouncier' (but not boomier or looser at all) and the sound sounded far more relaxed and free-breathing. Why? No idea. But it just goes to show that you really need to experiment.

Mind you, your stands are hardly light weight shrinking violets. :)

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I so want these damn speakers to sound as good as everyone writes about them. Now to get round to my friends house and hoist them from the loft and experiment

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
All these years, no one ever listened, its only now they realise, 'just making a stand heavy is no the answer' . . . almost poetic justice . . . :read:

Will I take the secret to my grave . . . 8) Foundation Stands worked, they were heavy, very heavy, how, why???? That 1985 award was no fluke . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS