What AV amp to drive 2 sets of speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I'm not sure it is a great idea but I was thinking connecting my lovely new speakers (Monitor Audio Studio 10) to a 7.1 amp and add to it an inexpensive set of surround speakers for the movies.

My other kit atm (and which I'm gonna keep) is:

Pana 42" plasma

Sony 350 BD player

I've never owned an AV receiver before I can have no brand loyalty at all at the moment. I do need something that will be able to render the best stereo and surround (HD) sound.

I also plan to add a dedicated CD player to the system later on for the "ultimate" (affordable) setup I can accommodate in my living room.

My current shorltist consists of the Yam 763, Sony 820 or even 2400ES, Onkyo 576 or 606 to keep within a budget of sub £400 for the amp alone (less would be good). Of course, I'm open to suggestions. I would prefer something easy to set up though (would that count the Denon 1909 out?).

Speaker-wise: Tannoy SFX5.1, MS Carnival, Jamo A102 or the Q1010i. Budget atm is under £500. And less is better... ;o)

The area I use for tv/music is about 3x4m (although the total room is about twice that size).

Of course, if having 2 sets of speakers sounds like a bad idea, I could just add in some rears + sub + centre. I am only concerned about ending up with an unbalanced system if I decide to go down that route...dilemna dilemna... :eek:(

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
So what's the plan here - hook up the Monitor Audios when listening to music and then disconnect them and hook up the front sets of whichever speaker package you choose for movies? Or are you thinking of having the Monitors permanently hooked up and using them as the fronts for the HC setup?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking having both lots permanently hooked up but using the MA's only when listening to music. Don't AV receivers have a "stereo" mode or something?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
They do have a stereo mode, but you can't have the Monitor Audios hooked to the fronts permanently unless you are also going to use them as the fronts for your movie set up as well. There is only one set of front outputs on an AV amp, so when watching a movie, you would have to disconnect the Monitor Audios from the front terminals on the AV amp and connect up the front speakers of whichever style speaker package you buy to get want you want above.
I think your best options are either to keep your movie setup and music setup completely separate (i.e. CD player, stereo amp hooked to the Monitor Audios and new AV amp hooked to new speaker package) or build your HC setup around the Monitors. This will be tricky as you need to get a centre which will be in balance with the Monitors - is there such a thing?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I take it back, the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE allows you to hook up a Front B connection so you could have the Monitor Audio speakers connected to this and the other 7.1 speaker package hooked up to the other terminals. So you need an amp with this facility.
EDIT - just checked and Yamaha 763 also has this facility.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies Professorhat.

I don't have room or budget for that matter for 2 systems, which is why I was interested in some 'hybrid' setup. Maybe not a good idea overall. Although I don't think disconnecting the MA's from whatever AV amp I may buy would be a problem.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries - my fault, I didn't think you'd get an amp at that budget with the facility to have a second pair of front speakers, but just goes to show how technology is coming along these days! From the ones you listed, thinking musically and good movie performance, I reckon either the Yamaha or the Sony would be a good bet at that price.
And on my 4000th post, I will retire for the evening!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, and well done! (on your 4,000th post)
emotion-46.gif

TRENDING THREADS