What are you watching?

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

doifeellucky

Feb 3, 2016
Had to look it up, but that and Dead Calm were both '89.
Depends how you define major. I’d probably say Days of Thunder, but I saw BMX Bandits at the cinema in 83. My Mum worked there so I saw lots of mediocre that I wouldn’t have paid to see.. Salute of the Jugger is the only film I’ve ever walked out of.

Finished HOTD and TROP and am currently enjoying Andor.

plastic penguin

Last night on BBC 4 I watched the 80s comedy The Young Ones. Crikey it looks really dated. I used to love that programme. Always remember going to my cousins place to watch it. We used to laugh like drains but 40-years on it's as funny as an ingrown toenail.

Comedies such as Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Porridge... which are older are still very funny. They're pure comedy gold.

Reactions: Friesiansam
Hannah Fry's Secret Genius of Modern Life on Beeb2 - explaining how some of the things we take for granted work, and how the technology evolved. First one was about the bank card - great TV.

James May's Our Man in Italy on Amazon - following on from the Japan series, equally great.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray
That's my sort of TV.
(Thames Card Technology is just up the road from me - was interesting to see inside the place).
One of the better things on BBC2.

BBC4 is good for that sort of programme and yet.....they brought BBC3 back and plan to remove the BBC4 TV channel ☹
I had been under the impression that the plan was to make BBC4 more of an archive channel - still a waste of the facilities it offers, but better than getting rid.

WayneKerr

Jan 21, 2022
Hannah Fry's Secret Genius of Modern Life on Beeb2 - explaining how some of the things we take for granted work, and how the technology evolved. First one was about the bank card - great TV.

James May's Our Man in Italy on Amazon - following on from the Japan series, equally great.
Yep, the Hannah Fry one was very interesting... waiting for the next one in the series (y)

I'll check-out the new James May one soon, seen the Japan series already. He's the best presenter to come out of the Top Gear stable, very entertaining... unlike Hammond's ridiculous garage series.

WayneKerr

Jan 21, 2022
Yep, the Hannah Fry one was very interesting... waiting for the next one in the series (y)

I'll check-out the new James May one soon, seen the Japan series already. He's the best presenter to come out of the Top Gear stable, very entertaining... unlike Hammond's ridiculous garage series.
Edit: Thought I'd seen the Japan series but I hadn't so did a binge watch this week. It's okay but he's a bit of a kn*b in it so not really my cup of tea, and at times found him rather condescending... maybe this is an Amazon requirement. I have much preferred him in some of his other programmes.

The Michael Palin series was my all-time favourite as a presenter, and maybe Joanna Lumley too.

Reactions: Gray

plastic penguin

Edit: Thought I'd seen the Japan series but I hadn't so did a binge watch this week. It's okay but he's a bit of a kn*b in it so not really my cup of tea, and at times found him rather condescending... maybe this is an Amazon requirement. I have much preferred him in some of his other programmes.

The Michael Palin series was my all-time favourite as a presenter, and maybe Joanna Lumley too.
Michael Palin's adventures were fascinating. Also Jo Lumley series was very good, helped by the fact she was my first TV female idol in The New Avengers.

(Oooo, that Purdey bob)

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Pretty sure I've never watched a whole Avengers episode, but Diana Rigg wasn't too bad 😍

Saw Jo Lumley really appreciating the Northern Lights.
I would.......(appreciate them, no doubt too).

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

plastic penguin

Pretty sure I've never watched a whole Avengers episode, but Diana Rigg wasn't too bad 😍

Saw Jo Lumley really appreciating the Northern Lights.
I would.......(appreciate them, no doubt too).
It's a surreal TV programme. Diana Rigg was gorgeous as is her daughter Rachael Stirling.

On The Avengers, Patrick Macnee and Rigg looked like they had good fun filming the series.

View: https://youtu.be/ph3uz20aleE

plastic penguin

Foyle's War is one of my fav dramas. However not so keen on the later episodes. Like most dramas there was too many made, and after Sgt Milner was written out it lost some of its magic. Also the later series was located in Ireland and Liverpool, with Dublin replicating London. It looks nothing like London.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts