What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewpiano

I thought I'd re-launch this thread again to get a feel for what people are reading and enjoying.
I've just read 'Fall of Giants' and 'Winter of The World' by Ken Follett - the first two books of his Century Trilogy. Very readable, very enjoyable and pretty sound historically too. I would highly recommend them, although the concluding book isn't out until 2014 apparently! Before the Follett books, I read 'Winter in Madrid' by C J Sansom. That was superb, and I fully intend to read his most recent novel when I've had a break from historical novels set in 20th century wartime.

I'm now reading 'Rivers of London', the first in Ben Aaronovich's DC Peter Grant series. I wouldn't normally entertain a book with magic in it, but this is executed extremely well and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Recently finished reading the series of books by George Macdonald Fraser called Flashman.

220px-Flashmancover.jpg

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you like history and feel there's nothing much left to learn about Europe's past, Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davis which I've just finished is a revelation - the origns and fates of Burgundy, Aragon, Belarus, Byzantium and others make for a riveting read.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I thought I'd re-launch this thread again to get a feel for what people are reading and enjoying. I've just read 'Fall of Giants' and 'Winter of The World' by Ken Follett - the first two books of his Century Trilogy. Very readable, very enjoyable and pretty sound historically too. I would highly recommend them, although the concluding book isn't out until 2014 apparently! Before the Follett books, I read 'Winter in Madrid' by C J Sansom. That was superb, and I fully intend to read his most recent novel when I've had a break from historical novels set in 20th century wartime. I'm now reading 'Rivers of London', the first in Ben Aaronovich's DC Peter Grant series. I wouldn't normally entertain a book with magic in it, but this is executed extremely well and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Hi Matthew,

Just come across this thread... brilliant.

I too have read Fall of Giants, but not the follow up yet.

Just finished Revelation by CJ Sansom and do intend to read Winter in Madrid.

Currently reading Say Your Sorry by Michael Robotham psycalogical thriller.

Other great historical authors I've read; C C Humphreys, E V Thompson, Simon Scarrow and Tim Severin to name but a few.

If you like books that combine history with a modern twist I can recommend Scott Mariani, Daniel Easterman and Will Adams.

Mac

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm reading Jo Nesbo The Snowman and it's so so. Think I might be getting fed up of detective stories.
Previous book was Command A King's Ship by Alexander Kent. When we ruled the world, well nearly.

D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychometric-Tests-Dummies-Liam-Healy/dp/0470753668/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370010320&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Pychemtric+test+for+dummies

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Chebby,

Sorry to be a pain, but do you think you could also type details of the books, as my screenreader can't recognise images.

Mac

Sure.

London A to Z Street Atlas Historical edition 1938. (Published by Cassini.)

Arcadia by Tom Stoppard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts