What are the difference in sound between the Kef R300 and R500?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the Kef R300 and find it Fantastic. Never heard before such a good sounding speaker. Unfortunately the black paint on the speaker is not good and the speakers must be back. Now i'm doubting to take the R500, but i can't heard them. Have they the same sound? And how far must the R500 from the walls? Same as the R300?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Scale and impact.

They made up part of a demo that I described here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-kef-regaand-a-friend

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil. The r500 seems even better than the r300. And the R300 already sounds fantastic. But how far from the walls? Same as the R300?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Thanks CnoEvil. The r500 seems even better than the r300. And the R300 already sounds fantastic. But how far from the walls? Same as the R300?

"Better" is subjective, so don't take my word for it.

In the demo, they were a little further out (I think).....from memory, it was about 3.5 - 4 feet, but I didn't measure it.

Individual rooms will behave differently and it's worth remembering they (R500) can (imo) generate a lot of bass for their size (a bit like the R300s).

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Do you know the Monitor Audio RX 6? Has the Kef R500 more bass? Have had the RX 6 and they had overpowering bass (and too bright...)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Do you know the Monitor Audio RX 6? Has the Kef R500 more bass? Have had the RX 6 and they had overpowering bass (and too bright...)

Not well enough to give meaningful comment.....though I suspect the R500s do have more bass.....but they have a 2 part bung system which should allow them placed 225 mm (9") from the back wall, and 1m from the side wall.

peterpan said:

Can't comment on the 'R' series, as I've not heard them. But have read Cno's thread and it seems the 'R' series isn't bass shy. As regards the RX6s I've only heard them at the dealers on a Cyrus set-up, but anything like the RS6s and they can be a little bloated if either in a smaller room or driven by underpowered or inferior amps.

This can interpreted in many way, but suffice to say the Leema is the only amp I've heard - and I've auditioned most below £1000 mark - that tightens the bass sufficiently.

Sorry can't be more precise.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
peterpan said:

Not well enough to give meaningful comment.....though I suspect the R500s do have more bass.....but they have a 2 part bung system which should allow them placed 225 mm (9") from the back wall, and 1m from the side wall.

Then i think i must stay by the R300. In my room the speaker can 40-45 cm from the back wall and 30-35 cm from the side wall.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
CnoEvil said:
peterpan said:

Then i think i must stay by the R300. In my room the speaker can 40-45 cm from the back wall and 30-35 cm from the side wall.

Hifi isn't always predictable, so I'd certainly require a home dem before making any decision....the R300s are very good.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

Just goes to show how subjective this hobby is. I had a lengthy demo of the RX6 and found them to be lacking in bass weight and low end detail. I agree that they can sound bright on the wrong amp

Ben K. said:

Just goes to show how subjective this hobby is. I had a lengthy demo of the RX6 and found them to be lacking in bass weight and low end detail. I agree that they can sound bright on the wrong amp

Yes and no - like i metioned to Peterpan, it'll come down, in the main, to room size. In my room (Beach Boys song :) ) the RS6 could/can sound

a little heavy handed. The Leema is great in this area. Not only does have a vice-like grip on the bass but also the HF as well.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
For my music, most rock, metal, pop, always thought floorstanders are the best. But indeed; it must be far enough from the walls. Yes, if it was possible i was gone for the R500. But i don't want overwhelming bass and the R300 also a fantastic speaker with great bass.

peterpan said:
For my music, most rock, metal, pop, always thought floorstanders are the best. But indeed; it must be far enough from the walls. Yes, if it was possible i was gone for the R500. But i don't want overwhelming bass and the R300 also a fantastic speaker with great bass.

If you haven't done so, a home dem will be essential.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Ben K. said:

Yes and no - like i metioned to Peterpan, it'll come down, in the main, to room size. In my room (Beach Boys song :) ) the RS6 could/can sound

a little heavy handed. The Leema is great in this area. Not only does have a vice-like grip on the bass but also the HF as well.

Likewise the arcam handles the speakers with a tight grip. Mine are firing down the length of the lounge (17ft) and are about 18 inches from the back wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts