what are some good tracks...

A

Anonymous

skularatna:
in the following categories to test out my valve amplifier.

Classical

Rock

Jazz

Classical: A good recording of Widor's Organ Tocatta

Rock: Pink Floyd, Yes, Metallica (the black album)

Jazz: Dave Brubeck - Take Five

A

Anonymous

My favourite testing track (not that I'm an expert) is IGY - Donald Fagen (from The Nightfly) - in fact that whole album does it for me.

A

Anonymous

Oh - and The Mercy Seat from Johnny Cash's American III Album just came on my stereo - that should give a trial system a bit of a workout.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The 3 id pick are jacqueline du pre elgar cello concerto then pink floyd dsotm then miles davis kind of blue.3 of the greatest albums of all time imo and a good test of your valve amp.

T

the record spot

Utterly mind bogglingly brilliant CD for testing bass response is Peter Gabriel's 4th solo album, titled "Peter Gabriel". This is the one with the alien picture on the front, as opposed to the first three Peter Gabriel albums (all titled "Peter Gabriel"), which are nicknamed "Car", "Scratch" and "Melt". The fourth was nicknamed "Security", it being the title in the US.

This was the album which precluded the first WOMAD festival and features a fusion of rock music and African instruments. Couldn't recommend another CD highly enough to be honest; there's remastered versions of the LPs out, but if you can find an original Virgin/Charisma release, then that'd be my pick. Great album too.

Classical - highly depends on the recording and type of music you like, so I'll bow out here. You won't go far wrong checking out some of the Gramophone recommendations though. Personally, I've always liked Bruckner's 7th and some of John Adams work.

Jazz - "Coltrane" John Coltrane (Impulse) and "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus" Charles Mingus (Impulse).

A

Anonymous

Terryff:RE Peter Gabriel...is that the So album?

That's what I was wondering - I asked my parents to get me the So Remastered CD for xmas; I hope it's not so so...
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
For rock, anything off Jeff Buckley's 'Grace'. Especially, 'Grace' and 'Mojo Pin', will test out levels of detail in your system.

Pearl Jam's 'W.M.A' off 'Vs' is great for drums.ÿ

ÿ

T

the record spot

Terryff:RE Peter Gabriel...is that the So album?

Nope, it's this one, although "So" has very good bass too; this is the more challenging one for handling it though:-

Security_-_Peter_Gabriel.jpg

T

the record spot

Not at all - "So", as I said, is very good. You won't be disappointed. Red Rain and Sledgehammer have good deep bass on them. I have the original release (on Virgin/Charisma) and the SACD remaster and both are excellent.

A

Anonymous

Classical Track: Fantasisie Triomphale from the album of the same name by Ian Tracey (Organ) and the BBC Philarmonic Orchestra

Rock Track: Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen's Greatest Hits Volume 1)

Jazz Track: Blue Skies (Irving Berlin)

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Just checked out the Jeff Buckley album on amazon and there seems to be several versions, one from 2004, one from 2008 and one called "legacy edition" any clues which one best?

ÿ

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The 'legacy edition' was to commemorate the 10th anniversary of 'Grace's release. If you don't already have 'Grace', then get the legacy edition. It has an extra two discs, one of videos (which, personally, doesn't appeal) and one of unreleased tracks.

It's expensive, about £15 i think, but the extra cash is worth it just for the track 'forget her' on the extra disc. It's amazing.

If you want to dip your toe before you jump in, get 'so real'.... the best of Jeff Buckley. It has most of the tracks off 'Grace', the track 'forget her' and some stuff from his second (unfinished) album. £6.37 on Amazon.

A

Anonymous

Classical - Hickox/LSO - Vaughan Williams - A London Symphony (1913 orginal version)

Rock - Pink Floyd - The Final Cut remastered or Roger Waters - Amused to Death.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts