What amp for Dali Zensor 3?

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! I´m new to WHF and hifi in general, so I was wondering if some helpful souls could help a noob out
smiley-smile.gif
I´m set to buy the new Dali Zensor 3 speakers, and I´m wondering what amp would be the best to match these. I´m thinking of spending around £ 350 tops ; some examples I´m considering are Rotel RA-10/ Yamaha A-S500/ NAD C326BEE or C316BEE/ Denon PMA-720AE.. also I see the Yamaha A-S500 has won many prices, but also many bad reviews from owners (especially in the "you regret buying"-thread here) which got me wondering... I normally listen to music with alot of bass, and I hope the 7" Dali zensor 3s along with a good amp can deliver. I had previously been considering the Boston Acoustic A26 as they have a rep when it comes to the bass response, but feel like going for the brand new Dalis instead, hoping the driverupgrade form zensor 1 will do the trick. Anyways I would be very grateful for any help!

matthewpiano

Great choice of speakers. I've previously owned Zensor 1s (as well as lots of other things) and I can assure you that the 3s really benefit from the larger bass driver and cabinet. They never boom but they do produce deep, good quality bass and sound more balanced overall than the smaller model.

Regarding amp choice, I think the Zensor 3s are pretty gregarious and will partner most things well. They certainly sound superb with the Denon amp but I think any of your options would work well.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Possible amps ;

Nad C326bee

Nad D3020 (haven't heard it but should be good)

Denon PMA-720ae

Marantz PM6004 or PM6005

Pioneer A-30

All will work well with the Zensor 3 speakers I think.

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, and yes I have been considering especially the Nad C326bee or the Denon PMA-720ae. The Pioner A-30 is also interesitng and its also the cheapest

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it seems to be a really good amp, I see it has been heavily awarded too. I`m sorta wobbeling between the Rotel and the Denon and even though the Rotel is a litle more expensive, its more tempting since it seems to have won more prices than the Denon. But then again the wattage is lower..

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
thebarber said:
Yeah it seems to be a really good amp, I see it has been heavily awarded too. I`m sorta wobbeling between the Rotel and the Denon and even though the Rotel is a litle more expensive, its more tempting since it seems to have won more prices than the Denon. But then again the wattage is lower..

You could always add a power amp to these in the future if you find them not powerful enough. I don't think the Dalis will be hard to drive. Either should be fine.

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
You are probably right, the rotel should have no problem driving the dalis. Also I can only test the Denon and Nad amps, seeing as this shop dosen`t sell the Rotel amp. I must say the cheaper, stronger, yet slightly less awarded Denon 720ae seem very tempting. But yes, I will certainly try to get a demo with other amps as well.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
consider also the often overlooked onkyo 9030, very neutral sounding in direct mode , and the bass phase button adds a substantial slam if that what you need, without colouring the mids and treble like a loudness button would do, a decent 65w too

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Don't read too much into output wattages!

Any of these amps will drive the Dalis no problem. Unless your throwing warehouse parties, even 40W is plenty for an average sized room. You'll probably not get anywhere close to full output, your ears/neighbours will be protesting first!

My RB03 is 'only' 60Wpc, my RA02 40W, and either of them will level my rented Victorian mid-terrace if I want them to...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about W outputs, ratings are not very accurate I would say NAD are conservative and Marantz are not. NAD tend to have quite a bit of bass which maybe a good thing depending on your tastes and music. You could also have a look at some more expensive amps and get them used, ie Rega Brio R ex demo are about £400 and used go for £300-£350.

matthewpiano

thebarber said:
True. If you should recomend either the Denon 720AE or the Rotel, which one? In terms of soundimage/landscaping

The Denon. Soundstage and imaging are one of its biggest strengths and the Rotels I've had in the past (RA-01 and RA-04SE) have been OK in this respect but not as stable and defined as the Denon.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
thebarber said:
hmm seems like a good alternative as welll, but one of the most expencive of the mentioned (here in Norway anyways)

I am surprised at that, I thought it was the cheapest of the suggested options ....., well it is here in the UK, got one for dads system, its a very capable amp, onkyo was never on my radar,

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the NADs got som serious bass under their hoods. I went to the lokal Hifi store today and tested both the NAD C136bee and Denon 720ae with the Dali Zensor 3s, and I noticed the much deeper bass produced by the NAD. The shop had actually gone past closing time, but I could listen to the speakers and test the amps, and before I knew it, I had already been listening for over an hour (past closing time) ! I must say WHAT AN AWESOME SET OF SPEAKERS! Awesome service and advice. I really felt like the NAD was more in my style, but both amps are incredible. In short: have not really decided yet, but the Nad with its powerful deep bass (even though some of the midtones get lowered) was more appealing to me, also the experts at the shop recomennded it rather than the Denon.

matthewpiano

Glad you liked the Dalis. I think you'd have to spend a huge amount of money to improve on them.

If the NAD was the amp you enjoyed the most, then you should go with it. NAD make excellent amps and I've always enjoyed them when I've had them.

thebarber

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah not 100% certain yet, but I feel I`ve gotten alot more necessary background information in order to make a decision . Thank you all for your feedback and great advice! :)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Glad you liked the Dalis. I think you'd have to spend a huge amount of money to improve on them.

If the NAD was the amp you enjoyed the most, then you should go with it. NAD make excellent amps and I've always enjoyed them when I've had them.

I know this is off-topic, but how does the Dali Zensor 3 compare to the B&W CM5? I thought that you also heard the CM5 in a previous live. ;)

matthewpiano

Hi, yes I've heard the CM1 and CM5 but it was quite a while ago. I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I'm not a fan of the CM series. I find them un-refined and boomy as well as being difficult to listen to for any longer than a few songs. I heard both on the end of Rotel amplification (RA06) so it could be that they would sound nicer with something else, but I've found most B&W speakers tiring over longer periods. I much prefer the more natural sound of the Dalis but that really is just my opinion and, as I say, not based on comparing them side by side so don't take it too seriously.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts