What amp for Dali speakers?

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi

My current setup is

PC /w Xonar Essence ST to MF M1DAC via digital coax to Yamaha A-S500 to Dali Zensor 7.

I want to replace the Yamaha and have around 1000£ to spend.

Options would be

Naim 5si

Yamaha A-S1000

Roksan K2

Creek Evo 50A (good discount on this one locally, 30%)

Audiolab 8200A

Rotel RA-12

Arcam A28

Musical Fidelity M3i

What would be the best choice for my Dali's? My current top option right now would be the MF m3i but open to suggestions

Also, it would have to be noticeable over the a-s500 :)

Thanks!

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Small room, 4 x 6 m. I need tight bass control and good detailing at low volume levels. Just want a refined and detailed sound really but it should keep everything in check at high volume also.

The music i listen to usually has alot of bass, the fast type. The prodigy for example.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends how much bass you want, the Creek is a bit light on bass and the RK is the other way. The M3i is a good amp. but I'm not sure its worth the extra money, that was my impression, can you go and audition them?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally with your budget I'd look at second hand and the following:

Arcam FMJ A32

NAD C356BEE

Cyrus 8XP

All available within budget and will drive the Dalis very well indeed

I've owned them all and listen to the likes of The Prodigy, Massive Attack, Mount Kimbie, Fischerspooner, Layo & Bushwacka etc..

They're brilliant amps with bags of deep, punchy bass weight but still really well timed and agile

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The best sounding sub £1000 amplifier I have heard in modern times is the Croft Integrated. Basic in the extreme, facilities wise anyway, but a performance of real refinement.

Of the rest the Creek would be my preference.

An additional thought, if your M1 Dac is relatively modern, you might want to bypass the soundcard and try usb. Only if you have the later 24/96 asyncronous capable version though.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
The best sounding sub £1000 amplifier I have heard in modern times is the Croft Integrated. Basic in the extreme, facilities wise anyway, but a performance of real refinement.

I think that is a great shout.......which usually gets overlooked.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
In my country, i can only find these brands posted. Don't think i've seen any shops sporting Croft stuff.

The essence is just feeding nicely at 192khz. Over USB id get capped at 96khz without purchasing their V-Link adapter... Kindof a ripoff. It sounds great thru the coax :)

I can find Nad stuff but not really my cup of tea and want to avoid.

The Arcam A32 is quite a bit more expensive then the Creek 50a. 400 quid more. The m3i is 350 quid more then the creek.

Cyrus i could find but i heard they are bright and wouldnt work well with the dali's which are considered bright also.

The Dali's will eventually get replaced by either Ikon 6 or Kef R500's so take that into consideration also please.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
lambopower said:
Hi

My current setup is

PC /w Xonar Essence ST to MF M1DAC via digital coax to Yamaha A-S500 to Dali Zensor 7.

I want to replace the Yamaha and have around 1000£ to spend.

Options would be

Naim 5si

Yamaha A-S1000

Roksan K2

Creek Evo 50A (good discount on this one locally, 30%)

Audiolab 8200A

Rotel RA-12

Arcam A28

Musical Fidelity M3i

What would be the best choice for my Dali's? My current top option right now would be the MF m3i but open to suggestions

Also, it would have to be noticeable over the a-s500 :)

Thanks!

Roksan Kandy K2 and Musical Fidelity M3i are the best options for you .

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Dali are typically very detailed, and towards the bright so you need a fuller sounding amp. You are right on Cyrus, that combo would make my ears bleed, but some like them.

Arcam and Dali go very wellwell, I know from experience on that. Arcam is quite warm and they were paired with the Ikon 6 which is a nice speaker. I haven't heard the others so I can't comment but I suspect the MF and the Croft would be very nice.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Romania. Glad to be here, thanks! :)

Can't really listen to these live so need to research it a bit.

Is the creek considered warm sounding aswell?

i read some reviews on the m3i and they mentioned a really good soundstage and imaging, whatever that means.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you live anywhere near or in Portugal, then there's a YBA YA201 up for sale on ebay at the moment, priced well within your budget.

Put quite simply, it's an exceptionally capable amp and adds very little of its own signature. I used to own one, and had it partnering some pretty revealing/demanding loudspeakers (ATC SCM20SLs and Acoustic Zen Adagios). It really allows the music to pour through, in a very beautiful fashion, and would be an ideal partner for the Dali's.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
lambopower said:
I'm in Romania.

gramps23 said:
If you live anywhere near or in Portugal, then there's a YBA YA201 up for sale on ebay at the moment, priced well within your budget.

I just googled Romania. Apparently it's not very close to Portugal. :cry:

Ooops... Had to pop out midway through writing the reply! It's not very close, is it.. Nevermind. Only 40 Euros shipping though.

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
lambopower said:
I'm in Romania. Glad to be here, thanks! :)
You should be, it's a beautiful country. :) You should go hear this, somewhat above your specified budget (@ ~ £1100), but certainly good value for money and, like pretty much all Hi-Fi gear, somewhat negotiable.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
lol :cheers:

How's the Hegel? Never heard it being recommended before and about the brand in general but i'm a noob :) I could go and listen/compare directly to the m3i since that dealer offers both. The m3i was definately there when i picked up the dac but the hegel could be out of stock if it's not a popular brand.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
A good soundstage and imaging in very basic terms means that music seems to envelope you, not just come out of the cones of the speaker. So you can place the singers and instruments in the mix, that sort of thing.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Buying in a country other than the uk really does tend to alter the price performance ratio somewhat. 'Global' brands like NAD tend to be cheaper relatively speaking and british bands more expensive, but every market is different.

For a fairly warm sound I would look at NAD and Arcam, whichever offers the best value, Creek is more neutral and I would avoid anything on the bright side. Dali speakers are generally to my taste and I like tight and even a bit dry so If available I would go for the Creek, warmer or more full bodied the Arcam or Nad as I said.

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Which one would be particulary good at that? Soundstage and imaging i mean.

The arcam a32 would be the most expensive, 1200 euro's , 1. The creek a50 is almost half that price at 669 euro's so i'm wondering, isn't it inferior by quite a bit? Or how come the bargain?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lambopower said:

The arcam a32 would be the most expensive, 1200 euro's , 1. The creek a50 is almost half that price at 669 euro's so i'm wondering, isn't it inferior by quite a bit? Or how come the bargain?

Its probably more to do with power, te A32 is 100W and the Creek is 60W, the 50A is more like the Arcam A19 in power terms. I have not heard the A32 so don't know how it compares.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
lambopower said:

At that price the Creek is a steal. Stop fretting and buy it.......... :rockout:

lambopower

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
:)

Just a bit hesitant i guess. I'm mostly afraid that it will end up sounding the same as the Yamaha, making me wonder why i spent all that money and leaving me to feel like crap in the process :)

Few months back i did not know that there was any difference in sound between different amps, just more/less power. My brain can't comprehend how it will make a difference in the sound being reproduced but that's just the noob in me i guess :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts