what amp for cyrus xtse and dac-x

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
hi everybody,

i was thinking of going cyrus all the way, and matching the xtse and dac-x, with the vs2, psx-r and the power 8. however, i'm a little concerned about the reports of being thin sounding. if this is the case, what, in your opinion, would be the best choice of amp for sub £2000.

it may help to know i'm all about the detail of the music. i want the sound to be as 'live' as possible, especially when it comes to vocals.

many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Stick with the Cyrus 8vs2 amp, as well as Cyrus cables and interconnects and you'll be fine. What speakers do you have in mind for these?

I would recommend Spendor.

A

Anonymous

I've not listened to these, unfortunately, and would not be able to comment.

A

Anonymous

bretty:
hi everybody,

i was thinking of going cyrus all the way, and matching the xtse and dac-x, with the vs2, psx-r and the power 8. however, i'm a little concerned about the reports of being thin sounding. if this is the case, what, in your opinion, would be the best choice of amp for sub £2000.

it may help to know i'm all about the detail of the music. i want the sound to be as 'live' as possible, especially when it comes to vocals.

many thanks.

I'd try out the PreVs2 with a Stereo X-power. You could them for about 1300quid the pair, ex dem. Sounds awesome. Would allow for a furture speaker upgrade also.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Bel Canto S300i (integrated). Superb little amp, same half-width design, but possibly better build quality. A very meaty power output and it's pre section is far better than the pre-vs imo. It also blends very nicely with Cyrus front end. It's £1700 new

In fact, the Bel Canto blew my pre + xpower out of the water.

I cant help but feel that your speakers are going to be the weakest part of your set-up however. You'll be itching to upgrade so that you can hear the bags of detail that the XTSE and DAC-X combo can dig up

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:

Bel Canto S300i (integrated). Superb little amp, same half-width design, but possibly better build quality. A very meaty power output and it's pre section is far better than the pre-vs imo. It also blends very nicely with Cyrus front end. It's £1700 new

I cant help but feel that your speakers are going to be the weakest part of your set-up however. You'll be itching to upgrade so that you can hear the bags of detail that the XTSE and DAC-X combo can dig up

You're possibly right, there. i haven't auditioned any speakers over a grand, and the mezzo's were the best that i heard. however, i hear a lot of superlatives on this forum about spendor and pro-ac (which, to be honest, i'd never heard of), so maybe i need to dig a bit deeper into my pockets!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bretty:thfcwestlower:

You're possibly right, there. i haven't auditioned any speakers over a grand, and the mezzo's were the best that i heard. however, i hear a lot of superlatives on this forum about spendor and pro-ac (which, to be honest, i'd never heard of), so maybe i need to dig a bit deeper into my pockets!

If you haven't ordered the speakers, then please demo some ProAcs, Dalis, PMCs, Spendors, Wilson benesch etc

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:bretty:thfcwestlower:

If you haven't ordered the speakers, then please demo some ProAcs, Dalis, PMCs, Spendors, Wilson benesch etc

thanks, Joelsim. the only speakers i've heard out of your short-list are the Dali ikon 6. I liked them, but preferred the mezzo's. i haven't bought the ms yet, so, i will audition some of your recommendations. i like everything i've heard about the ProAc studio 140, but, Goddamn, they're ugly. what is out there that will blow me away, but also not make me ashamed to have them in my house?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You definitely should try better speakers - i'm using the Cyrus XTSE/DAC X with a pair of Mordaunt Short Performance 6 and it's more than happy in their company.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

You definitely should try better speakers - i'm using the Cyrus XTSE/DAC X with a pair of Mordaunt Short Performance 6 and it's more than happy in their company.

See, Clare, now you're talking. I know the Performance six. I haven't heard them but they are stunning looking pieces of kit. What amplification are you using, Clare?

Are the Performance six still going for £3500?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts