wharfedale sw 150 broken, replacement driver

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys basically the driver has blown. I still have the amplifier (150w rms), not sure about the stable ohmn ratings. I wanted to build a new subwoofer, preferably sealed for simplicity and because I hate port noise which the sw 150 suffered from badly.

Is this a good driver choice? http://www.qualitycaraudio.com/store/viewitem.asp?sku=PLBW154

They are rated at 200w rms and 1500w max (ill take the 1500 with a pinch of salt).

If not can you reccomend something better, thanks. It has a xmax of 12-14 mm I read somewhere and the wharfedale amp should be able to drive it to near capacity. I am more concerned with high output than sound quality and the sub will only be used at high volume levels. I want lots of deep powerful bass and it will be crossed over at 55hz.

Thanks for your time. My budget is £50 and these can be had in the uk for £50 delivered from ebay (new).

A

Anonymous

No idea about these, but ive never heard of the make and i was a car audio fanatic for years. JBL, Kenwood, VIBE are the best budget makes to go for. Pioneer, JL, Hertz & Alpine if you can afford them (be careful with Alpine tho, you can get some duds).

But when it comes to custom subwoofers its very important to match the sub to the size and type of enclosure. And also match this to what type of sound you want.

Small sealed enclosures give a tight punchy sound, but you get a lot of vibration from them. Large ported boxes tend to have a better sensitivity to their inputs (ie. louder per watt), but the drawback is that you can get an unrefined floppy bass sound.

Its all to do with air pressure, it causes friction against the woofer.

Most car subwoofers will have the details you need to know if they will match your enclosure.

Oh and im pretty sure that the SW150 is only a 10" or 12". To get the measurement its the Diameter distance between mounting holes (screw holes).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you want me to clarify anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts