Wharfedale EVO 30 was 5 gold stars 3 years ago and the EVO 2 3O is worse??

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I have wharfedale EVO 30 speakers and bought them based on the reviews of what hifi and other magazines or websites said.
Why not listening to them first i hear you cry, but no shop where i live (in belgium) had them in stock and i had to order them.
They sound very good to me and other people i know but i must admit i haven't heard many other speakers at this pricerange except for the KEF Q7 which had also good reviews.
I see the EVO 2 30 speakers have some minor upgrades but what hifi didn't think they were that good any more???
What has happened in the meantime??
Are speakers getting that good in 2 years time so that an older speaker just hasn't an involving sound any more like it once did???
Or did the reviewer(s) tested the wharfedale's with other equipment??
Or is simply the older EVO 30 speaker better then the newer EVO 2 30??
I'm confused...

A

Anonymous

All I can say is that you will love them (the Evo2 30s)- I have them and they are "fantastique!"

About a year ago, Superfi (the internet hi-fi shop) sold them for £250! Considering the RRP was £649.99, I had to get a pair and they are utterly sublime speakers (if you have a big room for them, that is!) Apparently they are better than the Pacific EVO 30s, but there are some better models out now (such as the KEF IQ70/IQ7SE & Monitor Audio RS6).

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:All I can say is that you will love them (the Evo2 30s)- I have them and they are "fantastique!"

About a year ago, Superfi (the internet hi-fi shop) sold them for £250! Considering the RRP was £649.99, I had to get a pair and they are utterly sublime speakers (if you have a big room for them, that is!) Apparently they are better than the Pacific EVO 30s, but there are some better models out now (such as the KEF IQ70/IQ7SE & Monitor Audio RS6).

What receiver do you have with your EVO's??
I'm planning to go for a good suround receiver that is also good with music.
I'm thinking of an arcam, primare,nad and pioneer maybe...

A

Anonymous

RCduck7:Hughes123:All I can say is that you will love them (the Evo2 30s)- I have them and they are "fantastique!"

What receiver do you have with your EVO's??
I'm planning to go for a good suround receiver that is also good with music.
I'm thinking of an arcam, primare,nad and pioneer maybe...

Sorry for the late reply!

I have an Arcam A32 amplifier as my main amp and it's just right for them! Plenty of power, quite smooth and still packs a dynamic punch...oh and it has superb soundstaging!

However, I have driven them with every single type of amp/receiver you can possibly think of: Onkyo home-cinema receiver (very suited), 1999 5.1 Sony home-cinema receiver (good once more, plenty of detail in the sound), a little JVC micro hi-fi (suprisingly good!), a JVC A-X5 from 1979 (my favourite amp, the Wharfeys sounded sublime!), a JVC A-X400 (first amp I had and got the Wharfedales for it!) and also I've used them on a JBL PA system (but that's another story!)

The Wharfedales will suit literally any amplifier (as long as it's not too "hi-fi" ie - boring!) partly down to their soft dome tweeter which stops any nasty brightness and their kevlar drivers which really pack a punch! The only criticism I have of them is that the real deap sub-30hz bass only comes into effect when they are used in a big room with a nice hard floor!

But take a bit of advice from me: Get them in a darker colour because they look much nicer than in the light beechy colour I have them in!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:[

The Wharfedales will suit literally any amplifier !

That's right, my Evo2-10 sound excellent with low powered tubes, and I've tried them with Creek Evo and Arcam amps, and a cheap Denon receiver, and they always sound good. And that's also the case with most Tannoy's. If tou feed a Tannoy with a cheap amp, it will sound OK. Not excellent, but it will never sound wrong. Feed it with a better amp, it will sound better. Feed it with a really good amp, it will sound excellent. So, they are responsive to changes in electronics (which means they are transparent), but at the same time are designed with a natural sound and can accept lesser electronics without complaints.

Personally, I don't trust very much speakers which supposedly "don't sound good because you're using the wrong amp, or you need a better one". With those, you can spend one year looking for the right amp!

A

Anonymous

Tannoyite:Personally, I don't trust very much speakers which supposedly "don't sound good because you're using the wrong amp, or you need a better one". With those, you can spend one year looking for the right amp!

True! Infact, I find more significantly amplifiers which need suitable pairing with speakers to be silly - bright, forced treble is a sign of distortion and there's no excuse for non-harmonic distortion!

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I hope i can find a seller to try a few amps i'm intrested in with my speakers.

As for the room my speakers are in, it's 4,15 meters by 6 meters and the floor is hard and with a carpet on the sofa.

Should not be to far from an ideal room i think.

In the meantime i also read recommendations to modify or build my own speaker for better sound, but that's another story.

Anyway here is a link of one and what he said about speakers in general... Look at post 3, Spkr Bldr has also a website worth a look.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180&highlight=wharfedale

Hughes123: there is also a JVC A-X7 and A-X9 but to find them in good working condition isn't easy i think.

Why don't you use the A-X5 anymore? It's bettersounding the the arcam right??

A

Anonymous

RCduck7:Hughes123: there is also a JVC A-X7 and A-X9 but to find them in good working condition isn't easy i think.

My Arcam is on par with the A-X5, but then again, I got the A-X5 for £70 mint and the Arcam for £1200! The A-X7 and A-X9 are even better - some of the best sounding amplifiers ever made IMO.

Finding the amps is not easy - Ebay very rarely has them, but if they do, I usually snap them up ASAP! I can find one for you if you want though!

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:RCduck7:Hughes123: there is also a JVC A-X7 and A-X9 but to find them in good working condition isn't easy i think.

My Arcam is on par with the A-X5, but then again, I got the A-X5 for £70 mint and the Arcam for £1200! The A-X7 and A-X9 are even better - some of the best sounding amplifiers ever made IMO.
Finding the amps is not easy - Ebay very rarely has them, but if they do, I usually snap them up ASAP! I can find one for you if you want though!

An A-X9 would be great!! I looked over the internet for info.

I don't know how many watts this thing produces but i guess it should be the best of the line has to offer.

I live in Belgium though and shipping won't be cheap, and i have to be sure this thing is in good working condition, but let me know if you spot one!!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

RCduck7:Hughes123:RCduck7:Hughes123: there is also a JVC A-X7 and A-X9 but to find them in good working condition isn't easy i think.

An A-X9 would be great!! I looked over the internet for info.

I don't know how many watts this thing produces but i guess it should be the best of the line has to offer.

I live in Belgium though and shipping won't be cheap, and i have to be sure this thing is in good working condition, but let me know if you spot one!!

Cheers

Will do! I think living in Belgium is better than England, because Germany is swarming with them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts