Wharfedale dentons vs monitor audio rx1

Bebeboy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I already have the dentons. They are exceptional speaker in terms of sound and build quality. I happen to see a MA RX1 in piano black gloss, lovely speakers too. How was it compared to dentons? Anybody heard both? Inputs please

Neither.

Based on the reviews of the new Dentons they seem to have a very similar signature to the 1970s Dentons i.e. smooth sound that majors on solidity rather than out and out detail.

As you know no-one else had responded to the OP's question I recommended he try and listen to the MAs before committing.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I know I know PP. It didnt read right but I couldnt be fagged to delete it ,lol. Bored today ,does it show.

Mibbe I should have typed ... suicide after being subjected to..... :grin:

floyd droid said:
I know I know PP. It didnt read right but I couldnt be fagged to delete it ,lol. Bored today ,does it show.

Mibbe I should have typed ... suicide after being subjected to..... :grin:

Quite possibly. How many grains of sugar do you get to one tea spoon? :)

Always had a 'soft spot' for the old Dentons.... shock, horror, :O even considered them as possible replacement for the RS6s, but somehow I feel they'd be a sideway stride.

manicm

I have the RX1s, and they're an eminently musical speaker. They don't have the soundstage of say a 685 (still the class leader in this respect IMHO), but you won't notice it because it just lets you go ahead and enjoy the music. Plus it's pretty easy to drive, with high sensitivity and a very stable load.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Used to own them. Smooth, controlled sound with a slightly rounded off treble. Would liked to have kept them but bass was a little too much as I had them in corners.Went for front ported instead.

Very nice speakers in the right setup.

Bebeboy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I mean the new dentons, 80th anniversary edition. They are easy on the ears. Would the rx1 also pair nicely with a rotel rc1550 preamp and rb1080 power amp, cd player is a denon dcd 1650al and rotel rcd 06se. Chord ics and speaker cables.

or a nad amp say 325 would be better paired with the rx1?

thanks mates

manicm

danrv said:
Used to own them. Smooth, controlled sound with a slightly rounded off treble. Would liked to have kept them but bass was a little too much as I had them in corners.Went for front ported instead.

Even a front-ported speaker is going to be compromised right in a corner. Mine are not right in corners but about 20cm from the rear wall. They're smooth but I don't find the treble rounded -off. In fact they're more extended than the BX2.

Bebeboy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
manicm said:
danrv said:

Even a front-ported speaker is going to be compromised right in a corner. Mine are not right in corners but about 20cm from the rear wall. They're smooth but I don't find the treble rounded -off. In fact they're more extended than the BX2.

your using the rx1 with the arcam solo?

Bebeboy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Bebeboy said:
I mean the new dentons, 80th anniversary edition. They are easy on the ears. Would the rx1 also pair nicely with a rotel rc1550 preamp and rb1080 power amp, cd player is a denon dcd 1650al and rotel rcd 06se. Chord ics and speaker cables.

or a nad amp say 325 would be better paired with the rx1?

thanks mates
Or a nad 326 for the rx1 :)

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
danrv said:

Actually my Dali's are around 18" from side and back wall so I suppose they're not right in the corner. I have bass traps to minimize any boom.

Even when I had the RX1's, this position did exaggerate the bass but I didn''t have the bass traps then. The RX1 does need a little room to breath as the bass is powerful and is rear ported. In the demo they were in the middle of the room with no close boundries. Sounded great until I got them home and put them near the room corners. Big mistake really and maybe the bass traps would have helped.

Think you're right about the treble. It's not rounded off just well controlled and tidy. My Dali's are a bit brighter and more lively.

Bebeboy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I already bought the RX1. I am very impressed so far to say the least. Bass is powerful but controlled. High and mid is very very impressive. They are stunning on high gloss black mates.

manicm

Bebeboy said:
I already bought the RX1. I am very impressed so far to say the least. Bass is powerful but controlled. High and mid is very very impressive. They are stunning on high gloss black mates.

Cheers, although at the time of this thread, WHF reported news of the new Silver Series :cry: , but will apparently start at 500 quid, yeezus!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts