We've built a five-star streaming hi-fi system that provides simplicity and fantastic sound quality

EssentiallyJay

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
This is my setup without the CXN-V2 and I'm still debating whether to go for that, a Node-X or a Chord Mojo or Qutest and pick a digital transport later.

Can validate the CXA-61+ 606 S2's pair very well, look, and sound excellent. Get the power coated black stands too they were only around £100.

Incidentally the onboard DAC sounds great to tide you over. Added Topping D10S's as a well measured budget DAC and they are too analytical with no tone of warmth, prefer the onboard CXA-61 DAC until I upgrade as per above.

Last edited:

ashdash12

May 30, 2023
Visit site
I'm sorry but there's no place for any of the B&W anniversary editions. GR research has proven how they're a compromise in design and component quality and they are very fatiguing to listen to.

There are much better choices out there such as the Elac Unifi 2.0 3-way speaker which would take any day over the B&W.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I think the What Hi Fi selection of components is really predictable, when there are so many alternatives on the market and I was hoping they'll be a little adventurous.

The Cambridge CXN-V2 is no doubt a very capable streamer and an excellent choice, however, I am one of those people who'd been trying purchase Eversolo DMP-A6 DAC-Streamer (has to be the bargain of the year, resembles HiFi Rose streamer, costs only £759 and performs well above its price range). Beautiful glitch free apps on 6" touch screen display.

Unfortunately for me, every online vendor I tried, it all sold out. This I suspect was on the back of very positive reviews. One of the reputed YouTube hi-fi audiophile channels compared it with the Cambridge CXN-V2, the latter did not fare very well against the Eversolo (and these two streamers are in the same ball park).

Please check it out for yourself, the DMP-A6 is the new kid on the block. I decided against it in the end, my Onkyo 6130 Streamer was adequate for my own requirements, as I'm not really into internet streaming, maybe it's an age thing, though internet streaming portals such as Spotify or Tidal are great for checking out new artists and whether their music is worth that extra investment.

In the end, buyers remorse got the better of me, though like an insane audio fanatic I am!
I did go back for a second bite of the cherry, I did fork out for a stand alone DAC, Eversolo's other sibling the DAC Z8, this replaces my Topping E50, an excellent sounding DAC, though I think someone mentioned on the thread, it was too analytical (a different model but true with most Sabre chipsets, typically Topping. Mind you the Topping E70 Velvet edition has the AKM chipset and sounds different from the vanilla E70), yes true but also neutral sounding. My Z8 does cost more than three times as much as the Topping it replaces but it does introduce a more deeper soundstage and has a nice warm tonality which was lacking on the E50. The low frequencies on the Eversolo are truly abundant without smothering the treble. It has the latest ESS ES9038PRO DAC and I/V conversion is 8 times the frequency. I was also tempted by the much dearer Gustard A26 and slightly better sounding but it wasn't as versatile as the Eversolo. Those digital mock VDU analogue display meters and a selection of three VDU themes did it for me! Yeah the Gustard would have been nice but if the missus ever found out I paid almost £2K for a small black box. I know, I know, man up, you haven't met my missus.

Apologies, I have digressed a little but this didn't struck a Chord with me (no pun intended), I was hoping What Hi Fi could have been a bit more imaginative and surprised us with an alternative selection rather than play safe. We are all aware of the main actors and they have never disappointed but it would have been refreshing to explore new names and new players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashdash12

manicm

I'm sorry but there's no place for any of the B&W anniversary editions. GR research has proven how they're a compromise in design and component quality and they are very fatiguing to listen to.

There are much better choices out there such as the Elac Unifi 2.0 3-way speaker which would take any day over the B&W.
Yawwwn. Bet you're an Amir Audio Science sycophant too

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts