Watching .avi files on iPad

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise the best way to watch .avi files on the iPad? These are movie files taken on a Nikon Coolpix camera.

Do I need to convert the files into mp4 or something (would that be best) - if so any recommendations on software to do that or is there an app that can just access them in native format?

Any advice on best way of doing this gratefully received.

orinoco

Apr 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I use AirAV app to watch movies on my iPad/iPhone. It plays all the file types I currently have, including .avi. I stream the files over the wifi but it looks like you can transfer files via iTunes as well (just nit tried this myself).

Stu

orinoco

Apr 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I use the App AirAV. It works well on my iPad and iPhone and covers all the video formats I use, inc .avi.

I use it over my home wifi but also see it has a feature where you can move files across via iTunes - I've just not used this feature but assume it works.

Alaneg

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I use this for .avi files and works a treat.

AVPlayerHD[/b] – plays all movie formats, without needing to convert them. Also change aspect ratio or zooms into the file to fill the screen.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
As an alternative option, albeit more fiddly, the free "Handbrake" programme will convert video files to MP4 and can be set to iPad resolution to decrease file size.

A

Anonymous

In order to watch avi files on iPad, firstly you'd better chooose a video converter to help you convert video to ipad compatible formats.

A

Anonymous

I'm using CineXPlayer, it's an app that costs about $2, but it works like a charm!

A

Anonymous

I'm using CineXPlayer, it's an app that costs about $2, but it works like a charm!

A

Anonymous

Vichow

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Someone recommend AVI Player to play AVI files on iPad. But what if you want to play WMV, MKV, etc files on iPad? What if you want to play AVI on iPhone, iPod or Apple TV? I think the best solution is to use an all-in-one converter. I'm using Faasoft Video Converter to do this job and works like a charm.

Maybe you also can give HandBrake a try. But this tool is too complicate to handle and doesn't support MOV as the output format.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alaneg said:
I use this for .avi files and works a treat.

AVPlayerHD[/b] – plays all movie formats, without needing to convert them. Also change aspect ratio or zooms into the file to fill the screen.

I use OPlayer HD Lite, better then VLC for ipad i've bouth and OPlayer is much better, no drop outs, and no rebouts. It's free, so give it a try!

i'll try AVPlayerHD my self! :grin:

A

Anonymous

I usually convert the files into a format for Ipad, conversion softwares have that format specified

waradebom

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Vichow said:
Someone recommend AVI Player to play AVI files on iPad. But what if you want to play WMV, MKV, etc files on iPad? What if you want to play AVI on iPhone, iPod or Apple TV? I think the best solution is to use an all-in-one converter. I'm using Faasoft Video Converter to do this job and works like a charm.

Maybe you also can give HandBrake a try. But this tool is too complicate to handle and doesn't support MOV as the output format.

Thank you for your suggestion. Now I can easily play AVI, MKV, WMV, OGV, 3GP, WebM, ASF, FLV, WTV, MXF, RMVB, and MOD, etc on iPad. Thank you sooooooo much!

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I happened to have seen this page, showing how to convert avi to ipad. You can have a try the free converter, sounds convenient
regular_smile.gif

Gamer99

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Download nPlayer app for that. Supports many other file formats other than .avi and it has an easy to control UI. I really like using it, you might too.

max0517

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, as other people said above, you can just download VLC to watch your movie , it's free and totally can handle avi files. But "avi" files is kinda of container video formats, when you play it on VLC or other free media player , it may cause some playback problem.

If you find your movie can't be played well , you can just convert them into another format. As you said ,mp4 is a good one. Or since your want to watch it on your Ipad, so mov can also do your job.

Some free apps recommendation: Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip,ffMPEG.

Paid apps: hd video converter from pavtube. (p.s.it's a cheap one )

Hope this can help you or other guys who has the similar problem.

intellectualfreedom

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
iDealshare VideoGo is just the right AVI to iPad Converter. It can fast convert all AVI files whatever it is encoded with DivX, Xvid, WMV, H.263, H.264, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, Motion JPEG and etc to iPad more compatible video or audio format.

In addition to converting AVI to iPad, iDealshare VideoGo also supports converting other iPad unsupported video or audio formats to iPad like convert WMV, WTV, ASF, MPG, FLV, VOB, MKV, RMVB, SWF, WebM, 3GP, WMA, OGG, APE, FLAC, 3GA and etc.

Nepheler

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Is this thread still alive?
For me I may choose Handbrake to do the conversion. If not familiar with the coed &format things, Free Video DVD Converter Ultimate (Windows OS) could be a better choice as it offers presets for different iPad models.

TRENDING THREADS