watched avatar bluray disc on my sony bdp-s370

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
wow didnt expect a major difference compared to my pioneer bdp320 but big diff in colour and detail sound seemed at least the same,but sacd a big plus for getting my sacds.for £100 amazing.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
clown:wow didnt expect a major difference compared to my pioneer bdp320 but big diff in colour and detail sound seemed at least the same.

Really? Are these also the thoughts of WHF team? I have the BDP51-FD and was interested in getting the 320 purely for aesthetics advantages but hearing this I could be swayed. What is build quality like?

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Have heard it's cheap looking! Flimsy etc... As I said it's only what I have read and heard. However pic quality is supposed to be up there high.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
sta99y:Have heard it's cheap looking! Flimsy etc... As I said it's only what I have read and heard. However pic quality is supposed to be up there high.

You don't buy the S370 for it's looks...........................you do buy it for it's incredible performance

I use the remote for all operations, so it may look/feel a little flimsy but what are you going to use it for apart from spinning disks in? All of which once powered up, hdmi cable fitted, patch lead fitted and memory stick installed you will never need to touch again

Oh, and in case you haven't heard..........................it can be had for as little as 100 notes,

Bargain!

mattjax05:
clown:wow didnt expect a major difference compared to my pioneer bdp320 but big diff in colour and detail sound seemed at least the same.

Really? Are these also the thoughts of WHF team? I have the BDP51-FD and was interested in getting the 320 purely for aesthetics advantages but hearing this I could be swayed. What is build quality like?

BIG difference?? I think not. Check the latest Big Question in WHF magazine.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
BigBoss,

Didn't the 3 readers NOT find any difference in picture quality between the £100 Sony S-370 and the £1000 Sony BDP-S5000ES?

I find this particularly odd personally as I am able to distinguish an appeciable difference in picture and sound quality between my Sony S-370 and a Denon 2500BT, and the Sony S-5000S is better than the Denon!

Ronald

There are different aspects of picture quality. For pure 1080/24p video playback (blu-rays), it's hard to distinguish between players, as testified by the latest BQ. But if you're talking about DVD playback, there will be a difference between players depending on how they upscale DVD pictures.

Sound quality again depends on whether you want the player to decode audio or allow the AV receiver to decode it. If the players bitstream audio to the receiver to decode it, then there shouldn't be any difference in sound quality. However, if you allow your player to decode audio, again, there is a significant difference between players.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
for an extra £50 quid or so you could get the 470 which gives you 3D (if you care for such a thing).

Incidentally, does anyone know whay Sony have dropped the analogue outputs from the 770? The 760 had them - is it that no one uses them anymore?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Petrucio,

With the advent of 3D and with more people going big-time into HD, non-HDMI amps would soon be a thing of the past, I would imagine - hence this decision by Sony.

Ronald

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
The reason I ask is that my mate uses HDMI to run the BD player to his TV direct, and 7.1 analogue to his amp. This means that you don't need your amp on everytime you want to watch the news etc.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:mattjax05:

BIG difference?? I think not. Check the latest Big Question in WHF magazine.

Will do, I am a subscrider btw but not got round to reading this month's issue yet. The only thing that's putting me off parting with my 51-FD in favour for the 370 is the price = cheap build. I would happily pay a premium for solid build quality to go with great performance. Might just keep the 51.

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
No worries - my fault! I think the reason he has it set up this way is that his wife has no interest whatsoever in Home Cinema (if you can imagine such a thing) and just wants to watch a DVD/Bluray through the TV without "faffing about" with Amps etc.

I, on the other hand, force my wife to read all the AV manuals until she knows how to watch Hollyoaks ("OK darling, now remember it's Amp on first, then TV, then Sky...now pick up the three remotes...." etc etc).

Petruchio:

I, on the other hand, force my wife to read all the AV manuals until she knows how to watch Hollyoaks ("OK darling, now remember it's Amp on first, then TV, then Sky...now pick up the three remotes...." etc etc).

Just get a Logitech Harmony for her. She'll love you for it!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I'd like to add something here.

A few weeks ago I bought The Avatar and Ice Age blu ray disc.There was also a dvd included(same movie)

I showed it to my wife,parents and a few friends(first the dvd and then the br disc).Can you all believe that no one of them could see any difference in picture quality??

A

Anonymous

Oh,I've got a pana dmp bd80 br player and a pana 50g10 screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts